9090 or 9090DB? Which one's best?

A 9090DB will sound a lot like your 7070. It has the same amplifier just with more power. I prefer the 9090DB. It's a great receiver.

- Pete

What do you prefer about the 9090DB, and what do you prefer in it over the 7070?

I am fortunate in having both, two friends have the db and all of us have just had them well gone through....it's "over with" and worth it.
(Important receiver to all three of us.)
Now.....not all "db" units have weak pass throughs. Mine were just fine.

I am fortunate in having both, two friends have the db and all of us have just had them well gone through....it's "over with" and worth it.
(Important receiver to all three of us.)
Now.....not all "db" units have weak pass throughs. Mine were just fine.

Can you say one has a defining sound signature over the other? And if so, how would you describe it?

Having both at the same time. To tell you the truth could never tell a difference between the two when trying. Sold the db's models, kept the 9090 and the 8080.
If you have a chance at one get the it no matter the db or not is my input.

Barney

Can you say one has a defining sound signature over the other? And if so, how would you describe it?

Defining sound....? To me they sound the same or so close that it becomes questioning myself when I "think" I might hear a difference. I would imagine that there probably are differences but the small difference wouldn't mean much to me but that'd mean running them both through quite a few paces and to tell you the truth? I've compared so much gear of mine (endlessly it seems) that now I just enjoy whatever well.

Last edited:
Sound quality is a very personal thing. If you ask 10 people, you will get 10 different answers. What one person likes another may not. That's part of what this hobby is all about. These receivers keep increasing in value. Buy one, listen to it and decide for yourself. If you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, sell it and get a different one. It's the only way to find Audio Nirvana.

- Pete

Sound quality is a very personal thing. If you ask 10 people, you will get 10 different answers. What one person likes another may not. That's part of what this hobby is all about. These receivers keep increasing in value. Buy one, listen to it and decide for yourself. If you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, sell it and get a different one. It's the only way to find Audio Nirvana.

- Pete

Couldn't agree more. In the end? WE choose what we like, good gear is good gear. I have no doubt that if "The Comparison Game" hadn't been my path, any of the quality (close to top enders) get it done. Hell.....beings we actually choose what we decide to enjoy and even though "settling" early on wasn't my particular path? I appreciate people paths who do.
My best early on stuff means the most to me and is what I listen to mostly anyways.

Last edited:

- Pete

Couldn't agree more. In the end? WE choose what we like, good gear is good gear. I have no doubt that if "The Comparison Game" hadn't been my path, any of the quality (close to top enders) get it done. Hell.....beings we actually choose what we decide to enjoy and even though "settling" early on wasn't my particular path? I appreciate people paths who do.
My best early on stuff means the most to me and is what I listen to mostly anyways.

Agreed. It will be my own ears that will decide what is "good" and what's "not". But I am still interested in hearing other people weigh in on it. Particularly as a comparative between the 9090 and 9090DB. I can't own both of them to see for myself, so if there are people who have owned both (there have been a few people so far) and can comment on their sound, I'm still interested to hear what they may have to say about them. Cheers. :)

My 990DB (black version) sounds currently much better than my 9090, because that one needs a refurbishing. So I can't say which one sounds actually better in my ears...

You really can't go wrong with either of them. Buy the one that's the best condition and deal.

- Pete

This is wise. Once you have found a good one? You will have no problem at all no matter which one you choose. (Condition, condition, condition rules with these common and highly desired pieces.) Enjoy!

I hate to admit it but condition means more to me than whether a device works. Most faults can be fixed. But boogered up cabinets and/or rodent urine rust and/or chewed up transformers are deal breakers for me.

Personally, as with HarmanKardon (von Deutschland), I love my 990DB.

I hate to admit it but condition means more to me than whether a device works. Most faults can be fixed. But boogered up cabinets and/or rodent urine rust and/or chewed up transformers are deal breakers for me.

Personally, as with HarmanKardon (von Deutschland), I love my 990DB.

Cabinets can be restored too. ;) All units will be taken under consideration by me, as I am actually in the other camp: I prefer sonics over aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, I like a mint condition piece of equipment if I can get it too, but I am not adverse to minor wear on something, given the right price. :) The only deal breaker for me is a badly scratched face plate or knobs. Those are a little garish. But even then, if it's for the right price, I'd still scoop it up and give it a new lease on life.

Cabinets can be restored too. ;) All units will be taken under consideration by me, as I am actually in the other camp: I prefer sonics over aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, I like a mint condition piece of equipment if I can get it too, but I am not adverse to minor wear on something, given the right price. :) The only deal breaker for me is a badly scratched face plate or knobs. Those are a little garish. But even then, if it's for the right price, I'd still scoop it up and give it a new lease on life.
My 9090s' (x3) were purchased out of the underbelly of a smelly WINNEBAGO! (I kid you not.) Took work but had all of them up and running and netted one choice 9090 and a very nice 9090db out of the deal.

My 9090s' (x3) were purchased out of the underbelly of a smelly WINNEBAGO! (I kid you not.) Took work but had all of them up and running and netted one choice 9090 and a very nice 9090db out of the deal.

Wow, what the heck were three 9090's doing in the underbelly of a Winnebago??? You don't hear that one everyday! :confused:

He kinda hoarded "poorly" I guess....?

That has to go down as one of, if not the weirdest place I have ever heard of decent pieces of stereo stuff coming from. Did he ever say why he had three of them, and how they wound up there? That's just weird, man.

I have a 9090db and a 5000a and 5000x. And all three will sound the same with little tweaking of the eq on each. Even with the 5000's not having a mid eq. I keep the 9090db mid eq flat. Only difference is the sound level of course. The 9090db will drive my polk 10's to higher db's. So I imagine the 9090db and others in that series can produce the exact same sound signature with some eq tweaking. I am a "smiley face" eq type of guy !!

That has to go down as one of, if not the weirdest place I have ever heard of decent pieces of stereo stuff coming from. Did he ever say why he had three of them, and how they wound up there? That's just weird, man.
I know! That deal was like six months in the making and finally he asked if I was still interested. When I got to his place he had one 9090 on his back porch with no cover and the insides showed evidence of exterior storage... but it did work. (No case though so said I wasn't that interested.) "Well the case is probably in the bottom of the Winnebago and there are 2 more in there I think?". Well we went out to have a look see and still no case.....but there were two more 9090s'! (I bought all three as parts, cannibalized one for the other 2 and the one I already had.) It was a good day but man did I have to control my feeling pissed in seeing those Sansui treated like that.
Looking back? The only other extreme save I've had was with my Sansui G-6000....if this keeps up my future G-33000 is going to come out of a chicken coup lol!!

From looks to sound those 9090s' are very highly individual and glad for everyone who owns one....they are a worthy thing to invest effort into and have for sure.

Back
Top Bottom