What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

Right now I own a AU-X711, AU-X901 and C/B 2102, will the AU-907MR greatly improve my listening experience?

mmm, I think you are just stroking your ego at that point (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

IMHO the 907MR is a sonic step above the other amps, so if outright sound quality is the aim, then the purchase is well and truly justified. The 907MR is amongst the very best of Sansui's integrated amps.

The following was 'just part' of Sansui's problems but it may help you understand what when on:

The Sansui company started it's downward trend since about 1972, post Vietnam sales. It was 'company decisions', not the quality of the amplifiers and equipment designs, that caused Sansui's decline. Sansui mostly sold to the US Military personnel. After Vietnam, sales dropped dramatically and they had no other outlet for sales. Sony, Pioneer, Hitachi, etc., they had the domestic Japan and worldwide sales. They were not dependent on US Military Sales and had a domestic sales base. Then there was Quad, great idea, much money spent, but it just didn't take off. Then in the early 80s their equipment really took a the bad hit in the quality department due to cost cutting decisions. International folks didn't like Sansui very much after that. It was over.

Then in 1986 the company decided to regain their 'good name' in quality audio, hense the new logo and new 'top quality' amps again. But it was too late internationally.

Starting in 1986, that was like basically the beginning of the alpha series that just kept getting better and better and more refined, circuits and design. The alpha series is super quality, but as mentioned above, very much more 'refined' and it had a slightly different sound than the pre-1980 amps.

Alphas ARE top quality amps and very much 'liked', and acknowledged, in the stereo world. How could they not be! But Sansui's sales were down because of the early 80s reliablity and quality problems. Also Sansui continually lost money every year, even with the alphas, starting in 1986 even with their top quality amps. It's a big long sad story of a great stereo company that made some really big bad company decisions. Also the USD devaluation, it hurt them really bad. They sold amps much cheaper than they should have just to compete in the basically Japanese domestic marketplace (with a few international models sold in USA, Germany, England, etc. Also the yen was like 100 yen or so to a USD, which made Sansui's amps, as well as all other Japanese products, extremely expensive to purchase internationally, the amps were too expensive for most international folks to buy, plus: computers were in - stereos were out, times changed. So Sansui basically sold to Japanese domestic market, hence all the gear Sansui made and sold that no one even knows about, all 'very top quality' equipment. They also fell behind in patent rights. Other companies had the patents on CD players, etc. In the old days Sansui had devoluped the patients. but no more. Sansui declined. It was just a magnitute of major problems for Sansui.

The 90s gear is modern day, 'top quality', audiophile type equipment with the 'audiophile' type new sound, if that makes any sense. Wonderful equipment!!

Guys love the G series, B/C, BA/CA, AU-TU everything up until 1981 basically. They absolutely love the G series! 9090 (XXXX series), super fine receivers. They are 'all' good.

Except the quality from 1981 to 1985 just wasn't there. Still nice sounding amps, 'some of them', great transformers, but they took shortcuts putting them together, plastic parts, cabinets, knobs, etc. Sansui was just trying to make maximum profit in the early 80s to stay alive. It didn't work. So in 1986...alpha!

Hope this helps.

Interesting. My SS 5000X was originally purchased by a Vietnam Vet buddy of mine. He bought it at a PX I think in Japan, then took it to 'Nam with him where it was the base camp stereo system. He said it survived some pretty wild off-duty parties over there! He then brought it back home with him and used it till the late 90's, when one channel went kaput so he went out and bought a new system. One day we were sitting at his house having a beer when he pointed to the old receiver sitting in the corner and asked me if I wanted it, and told me the story behind it. I told him "That receiver has a cool history, you should really keep it and get it fixed!" He replied "Nope, I don't want it anymore, if you don't take it it's going in the trash!"

Well, the was no way was I going to let THAT happen! So I took it home with me. The coolest thing was that he had kept ALL the paperwork that went with it, owner's manual, schematics, ect. I took it to the guitar amp tech I had at the time who was also good with stereo gear, and a couple of days later he brought it back saying "That was an absolute pleasure to work on, I hardly ever get something like this anymore that still have the schematics with it!" :thumbsup:

It's been going strong ever since then, and I love it! My favorite piece of stereo gear, not only because it sounds great but also because of the history behind it. I've taken it with me from North Carolina, to New Mexico, then back to N.C., and now in Montana. That 'ol amp has definitely done some traveling! :cool:

With the "vintage craze" that's taken off in recent years I've wondered from time to time what it might be worth, if anything. Not that I would sell it anyhoo. At this point it's like an old friend..:music:

Last edited:
I looked at recent completed ebay sales, Doc. For a 5000x you can get a few bills,* depending on condition of course. Not crazy money, but about twice what they were just a bit ago. They are priced as a quality big name vintage receiver, but they aren't elite units and the price does not approach four figures. The history value, for you, is doubtless much greater.

* I'm being vague because there's a rule against talking price outside the "Dollars and Sense" topic on AK.... :)

Thanks for this thread to all of you....I own a Sansui AU-7700 and i am very happy... After reading this thread one year ago i stumble on many remarks of Bluesky and the 701 901 alpha, it grows in me, i begin to look for an alpha series...I bought one X701 for 280 dollars this week... I cannot wait to listen to it...

By the way is someone may comment about the quality of the headphone out of this amplifier? I listen with mission cyrus 681 speakers but like to listen with headphones too...

Last edited:
By the way is someone may comment about the quality of the headphone out of this amplifier?
It won't be any different than the main output as that is what it is derived from, there is no separate headphone amplification as such.

After another day of listening the Marvelous AU-X1, I'd have to say that is the best sounding Sansui I have ever heard.....
Here the X1 is it sitting at my lovely assistants work area.....she's loading these boards for me we are doing on a build project...If I owned a AU-X1, I think I would leave the lid off it to be honest...IMG_4778.JPG

X1 sure is a great amp. But not the best sounding amp the have ever made .
There are other amps quite fast too , that may sound even better , the x-balanced series. AU-X1 is the same as G22K G33K , just with a different set of outputs . All others remain the same.
Power transistors don't make that huge difference even if they are this fast ,as those of AU-X1. Later on they made even faster ones , like the ones 907 707 dr are using.
I would think that AU-X1111 mos , might have been the best integrated they ever built , as Mr Isao is pleased to say.
Anyway , I still believe that B2301 B2302 along with their combo pre amps have the best sound all around .
But then again this is just me.

My G-8700DB may not have build rep or tech specs of higher end receivers (not many), integrated, or separates, but I'd challenge any of them to a blind listening session. Just saying.

X1 sure is a great amp. But not the best sounding amp the have ever made .
There are other amps quite fast too , that may sound even better , the x-balanced series. AU-X1 is the same as G22K G33K , just with a different set of outputs . All others remain the same.
Power transistors don't make that huge difference even if they are this fast ,as those of AU-X1. Later on they made even faster ones , like the ones 907 707 dr are using.
I would think that AU-X1111 mos , might have been the best integrated they ever built , as Mr Isao is pleased to say.
Anyway , I still believe that B2301 B2302 along with their combo pre amps have the best sound all around .
But then again this is just me.

Yes agreed, however, the phono pre-amps in the AU-X1 are far superior to that which is on a G22/33K, a lot of design effort went into that particular part of the amplifier. and it shows when you listen to some vinyl through an X1...

I must say that after buying and comparing Sansui AU-X701 in my system, Mission Cyrus 781 speakers, Beresford Bushmater dac, the Sansui AU-7700, perhaps a little less "audiophile analytical" was clearly the winner in a tube-like manner, almost on par with details, but more realistic naturally sounding, at the point of no comparison, after 8 hours straight with the AU-X701, i disconnect the alpha amp and return to my marvellous AU-7700....I must say that my 7700 is tweaked heavily with crystals and stones....The 7700 is probably not the best Sansui, but certainly one of the best sounding Sansui with no faults...

After another day of listening the Marvelous AU-X1, I'd have to say that is the best sounding Sansui I have ever heard.....
Here the X1 is it sitting at my lovely assistants work area.....she's loading these boards for me we are doing on a build project...If I owned a AU-X1, I think I would leave the lid off it to be honest...View attachment 975188
Kevzep are you starting production of X1 boards? ;)

The 1000A is the finest receiver to ever grace the earth with the imprint of it's 4 feet. Some believe it is the best tube circuit to ever drive the 7591 and others believe the output transformers to be higher quality than any others from Asia. They are not a pleasure to work on in my opinion but it's worth the trouble.

Personally having owned 59 pieces of Sansui I like the 1000A the best for sound and realism. My current 1000A is my 4th. It was recommended by a blind musician and jazz critic and has never failed to impress.

Second on my personal list is the AU-717. I own 4 and a 719, and an AU-607-D with 115 transformers from a 717.

These all sound killer and have power beyond comfortable tolerance.

The au 9900 and 11000 family also are super solid and embody the legendary Sansui tube sound in solid state, and they are much more expensive, better looking and more sensitive than the all black later models, I would take any of these and never look back.

All of their pieces have merit up to the last decade of decline-just go to history of Sansui site and read each model to form your framework for selecting.

Many great sounding under the radar quad amps out there but hit and miss on those silver face fellows.

Back
Top Bottom