Best bluetooth speaker under $300?

Thanks for the share!:thumbsup:

Q
The Chromecast simply plugs into a speaker and requires a power source, so I am still not sure it is the best option for using outside. A Bluetooth speaker would be easier to just pick up and take outside with you. Bluetooth audio is rarely the shortfall in this situation, the issue is the speaker, amp, etc. Not to mention the lack of a room. I have a sunroom near our deck and use a t-amp, outdoor speakers and Airport Express, but it stays out there all the time.

For inside, the Chromecast Audio is nice and cheap. I prefer AirPlay, but I use iOS and it is more flexible because it works with any audio source rather than much shorter list that CA works with.

As a side note, I set up guest mode on mine last night. Works pretty well. I think you have to connect it to wifi to set it up first, but I plan to try it in the car to see how stable it is.

Just an update. I got the Chromecast setup with guest mode the other day. Plugged it into my car (still on wifi) and it worked even though my iPhone was in LTE mode rather than on wifi. I was waiting for an aux cable to show up before I used it on the road. Last night, I received the cable, so I plugged the Chromecast into the car. It went into setup mode like it had never been used. Unfortunately, when this happens, it appears that you need wifi to set it up. I got home, connected it to wifi and was back on the road. It then disappeared from the Google Home app when it lost the wifi connection.

Not sure how to get this to keep all of the settings when it is unplugged. I am going to set it up again tonight in the house and move it out to the car when I leave in the morning. I don't know that this is a very good substitute for Bluetooth in my vehicle, but I am going to give it one more shot. My guess is that this is better off at home on wifi.

Thanks. I'll take a look at Hi-Fi Cast. Although it appears gapless playback is for "compatible" (whatever that means) local files only. Locally I have no issues as I have several network players that handle that task handily.

My issue/gripe is with streaming. Since the CCA does not support gapless playback natively, when it "takes over" the stream it breaks that feature of capable streaming apps. boohiss.

No Bluetooth ever? That's a tall order for me as I want my tunes with me when and where ever I go with virtually zero hassle and shenanigans. Outdoors and at the beach, the relatively small SQ hit is completely indiscernible. Different strokes.

Check for PM.

Q

Someone in a post above mine said that Chromecast didn't need wifi if it was run in guest mode. I didn't see that as the case, but I never did re-test the process after my last post in this thread. I may have missed something.

Back
Top Bottom