Today's INDIE Playlist

Your Friday Flashback -

The Black Belles - In A Cage

edit - I notice now the links in the PDF file no longer "click" in Acrobat Reader. They "click" in the MS "Edge" browser and they also "click" in Acrobat Reader XI (not the latest DC that I was using). They'll probably fix this but if you have the same problem and want to try XI you can get it here

https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

You just have to use the pulldown menus to pick it.

reader_select.jpg

It won't install if DC is already installed so I had to uninstall the DC version of the Reader first.

Last edited:
Here's a local guy that is getting some recognition. He started off posting his own music on Bandcamp and through that built up an audience. Nice to see one of the countless unknown great musicians make it.

alex g - proud

Last edited:
Speaking of Kiwi Indie bands, here are two great ones:
The Clean - Point That Thing Somewhere Else

The 3ds - Hey Seuss

Good choices. I heard an hour long retrospective of The Clean's tracks on our version of PBS about a year back. It was good radio. Their early 7" singles bring big bucks over on discogs.

They were from Dunedin and on flying Nun records, along with The Chills.

Good choices. I heard an hour long retrospective of The Clean's tracks on our version of PBS about a year back. It was good radio. Their early 7" singles bring big bucks over on discogs.

They were from Dunedin and on flying Nun records, along with The Chills.

The 3ds were also from Dunedin and on Flying Nun and about the same time - maybe a year or two earlier than The Clean and The Chills. Would have loved to see them live in a Dunedin pub.

Last edited:
The Oh Sees have a new album out called Orc which reminded me of their Mutilator... album. Which is a great album all the way through. The LP (vinyl) is 45rpm and sounds great. Here's a live take of Withered Hand. The album version has better sonics but the energy of a live Oh Sees concert is something to see.

Last edited:
A while ago Loopstick posted a track by Goon called Cammie at Night. I've been looking for their album and found out that they have recently released an EP called Dusk of Punk. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but here's a great track.

The Oh Sees have a new album out called Orc which reminded me of their Mutilator... album. Which is a great album all the way through. The LP (vinyl) is 45rpm and sounds great. Here's a live take of Withered Hand. The album version has better sonics but the energy of a live Oh Sees concert is something to see.
The sonics are still very good for a live recording. I was thinking the same thing about the live street performance of "Voodoo" by Vundabar I posted on the previous page. Some guy probably took it from a cell phone but it's not bad at all. And the stuff you see "live" is worth its weight in gold. I especially like the parts when the drummer (one of my favorite drummers) seems to jokingly "menace" the singer and drive him back. So live cuts are definitely cool if the sound is fairly decent. This video of Thee Oh Sees looks like it was done professionally.

BTW - if y'all haven't noticed these videos I've posted aren't "embedded" with playback code cuz of the current problems with YouTube thumbnails. However, the graphics are the actual thumbnails and they are true links to the YouVideo. See this.

Back
Top Bottom