Most Expensive Record / CD / Cassette That You Own (According to Discogs)

True enough, I guess. Whenever I start thinking about selling some records, I think about the time I sold a first pressing of The Modern Lovers. This was back in the hey day of the CD, late 80s. I was a bit broke those days and always in need of cash to feed my habit. So I took that LP and a handful of lesser ones to the used record store. The owner flipped through my offerings casually and then offered me $25 for the lot.

Keep in mind a couple of things: LPs weren't fetching that much cash back in the day. Secondly, I wasn't fully aware of what I had, and I had grown a little tired of hearing that LP, thinking I could easily find another copy someday if I wanted to (HA!).

Anyway, I took the cash, and no sooner had I turned my back (to check out the used LP bins, of course) than the guy had run to his back office, Modern Lovers LP in one hand, his phone in the other. "You won't BELIEVE what some kid just dropped off!" I heard him say.

My stomach sank. And I swore, never again.

Addendum: My loss was wholly my fault, of course. Nevertheless, the experience left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I never went back there. I wish the guy had been honest with me, as in, "Are you sure you want to sell this?" There was nothing like that.

I grabbed a copy of "The Farm" band simply because my old rock band was also named The Farm. Apparently, this was some hippie commune in Tennessee (still going!) and they recorded an album.

I picked it up for a buck. It has the poster, as well. According to Discogs, worth around $100.

I've yet to spin it, but the vinyl looks unplayed.

I grabbed a copy of "The Farm" band simply because my old rock band was also named The Farm. Apparently, this was some hippie commune in Tennessee (still going!) and they recorded an album.

I picked it up for a buck. It has the poster, as well. According to Discogs, worth around $100.

I've yet to spin it, but the vinyl looks unplayed.
Ha! It's still going!? In Tennessee, too, yet. That's kind of amazing.

I see where it shows the low, medium and high value of all the LP'S I have registered on Discogs but not individual LP's. Are you guys searching through your entire collection one by one to find the most valuable one?

I see where it shows the low, medium and high value of all the LP'S I have registered on Discogs but not individual LP's. Are you guys searching through your entire collection one by one to find the most valuable one?
Click on the box "Text With Statistics"

Then click on "Min, Median, Max" to find the $ value of each selection in your collection.

discogs.JPG

Last edited:
1st press of Sex Pistols -Never Mind The Bollocks, matrix A1-B1.
The only one I could see on discogs is A3-B1 at AU$840.
I had one those. Really sounded amazing, with the guitars and Rotten jumping out of the speakers and punching you in the face. The US lps and cds just sound dull and muddy to me.

I've got a 1964 version of "Blind Joe Death" by John Fahey, with humorous booklet. Based on condition it's in the $300 - 500 range. Meeting the Clash on their 1st US tour and having them sign their 1st LP, priceless!

Wow, I've got one of those.

I had two 1st press UK issues of Bollocks.... I sold off the the NM- A1/B1 copy on the bay for $450... I kept the VG+/VG copy in my collection.

There were supposedly only around 1,000 released but not sure I believe that.

Last edited:
So I finally got around to looking at my Discogs collection, which doesn't have all my vinyl. I was suprised the most valuable records were my reissues and the most valuable was my copy of Pink Floyd~Pulse. $325.00/$440.00/$650.00, I'll bet those were sealed copys

The ones I'm aware of are all limited edition CDs that I got from Japan.

Beth Orton – Superpinkymandy, CD. I Paid $150.
Discogs:
Lowest: $149.99
Median: $260.44
Highest: $499.99

Tom Jans – Eyes of an Only Child and Dark Blonde. Purchased new for ¥1800 each.
Both complete with obi and original inserts. $100.

As for LPs, I have a bunch of odd ball, limited edition and signed stuff that's probably worth something. I've made a number of 1st entries on Discogs with some of the stuff. I'm not selling.

I need to learn how to create entries. I tried on an Australian edition of one album but completely messed it up.

I need to learn how to create entries. I tried on an Australian edition of one album but completely messed it up.
I did a couple of rare ones. It took a bit, but wasn't to hard. You just have to put in ALL the info, plus photos. It does take time.

Never really looked at it, and don't have a listing there, but motivated to check a few by this thread. Oddly enough, my top one may be a newer purchase.
Sealed Abraxas one step (followed by an open one?)
Classic Records -Music From The Motion Picture - Untitled (Almost Famous Soundtrack)
David Bowie US debut, promo stamped
KOB - 6 eye mono (too many subtleties to nail mine down)
Zep debut - UK plum
That's enough for now.

True enough, I guess. Whenever I start thinking about selling some records, I think about the time I sold a first pressing of The Modern Lovers. This was back in the hey day of the CD, late 80s. I was a bit broke those days and always in need of cash to feed my habit. So I took that LP and a handful of lesser ones to the used record store. The owner flipped through my offerings casually and then offered me $25 for the lot.

Keep in mind a couple of things: LPs weren't fetching that much cash back in the day. Secondly, I wasn't fully aware of what I had, and I had grown a little tired of hearing that LP, thinking I could easily find another copy someday if I wanted to (HA!).

Anyway, I took the cash, and no sooner had I turned my back (to check out the used LP bins, of course) than the guy had run to his back office, Modern Lovers LP in one hand, his phone in the other. "You won't BELIEVE what some kid just dropped off!" I heard him say.

My stomach sank. And I swore, never again.

I wish there was a sad face "like".

I was in a similar situation in my college days, had to sell a heap of Street Machine magazines from issue #1.

I'm not sure of the Discogs value, my most expensive item is likely a vinyl copy of All The Roadrunning with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris. I think the value is north of $100 and I passed on it at $30 when released. It's now out of print

Just re-checked prices and an original German manufactured CD of Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene is now topping the list.

I have many $50-$75 LPs (20 ea & paid $50-$75 each) & CDs (40+ ea - paid $30 each except for a few that I paid $70 each for). Just albums I 'HAD to have', so I just 'bit the bullet' and bought them.

But now-a-days... I'm done 'buying' LPs & CDs - it's been 3 years... unless it's desired, has to be M-, and it cost $1 maximum. :)

It's all fun.

Last edited:
Probably, worth something:

GnR AFD banned cover (Korean press)
Nirvana Bleach (original press)
The Smiths first 3 albums (all weird colors, can't find them on Discogs) 2 Italian presses 1 Argentina
Dinosaur Jr. Bug (Original NM)
Led Zep S/T (German Press)

Back
Top Bottom