Sansui is something new to me...

moromete

Hi all, just starting out and trying to learn.

I'm looking to restore a G 8000 which i got for a secondary setup, for the weekend house.
The exterior is fine for its age ,with scratches on the aluminium frame and side rails.Face and knobs OK
But the interior is a mess: all the frame is pitted including the cadmium plated parts.
Can you please tell me if this can be saved or have to be scrapped.

PS. Just spent 6 hours cleaning it and cleaning the pots and switches. TY Kale

Daniel

Can you please tell me if this can be saved or have to be scrapped.
Welcome to AK, The G-8000 is a great receiver, but it needs some work in order to be reliable.
can you post some pictures?
Does the unit works?
What's your level of experience with electronics?

Hi Hipocrates,

Pictures coming soon. The unit works, in fact sounds great. The seller told me that has a scratchy volume pot and the tuner string is missing.
Was out over the weekend and the time to return the sick beast expired. Purchased over internet "as it is". Looked inside and found out that there are a lot of missing screws of the bords and tuner capacitor.Front is also missing top and side screws... the bottom is missing 5 screws.. Sloppy job
Today checked the DC offset and was little high 33 mV both sides and bias was 12 mV L/R . Let it run for couple hours with some old speakers.
Clean it and tried to set Dc to 0 and bias to 16mV. DC is fine , now I cannot set bias on Right channel-- is 0 mV
Need help with that....
Coming back to your question, my experience in electronics is great -- Expert ... as a user;)
As technician is close to 0. But I managed to dismantle the whole front and clean all the pots and switches. And put back the whole thing .
Took me over 3 hours . And another 3 hours trying to polish the aluminium trim with no results.

Tuner string is Dacron braided fishing line 20# to 40#. The 8000 is a great all around receiver. Enjoy.

Sadly i had to put the all thing together without restringing the tuner. I intended to use a braided fishing line of 0.45 mm but no such thing in my fishing tackle box.
Please tell me if there is a procedure for setting correctly the string :
1.What to dismantle to get better access to the fly wheel screws to attach the string?
2.The needle was not attached to the old string. Can I thread the string and attach the needle at the end?

Ty for your help...

By the way... the bias problem in the right channel was a false assumption. The measuring posts had some white crust over the solder preventing a good connection.
Now both channels are at 16 mV +/_ 0.1 mV. The lack of working tuner is still bugging me...

Back
Top Bottom