34V Offset on AU999

Hipocrates

I took an AU-999 after several months of been rebuilt ( it was full of problems) to play it for a while, and I found that sounded really bad and have a nice thump when turn on.
So I took it to the bench and test the offset, to my surprise the little bugger have 34 volts on RCH.
Weird isn't?:dunno:

Last edited:
It's a cap coupled amp. You can't measure offset by just measuring voltage at the speaker terminals. I haven't looked at the 999 procedure recently buy typically you need to have a dummy load connected, inject a 1k Hz sine wave and adjust it to clip the + and - apexes at the same time. It's sometimes called "balance."

- Pete

Hello Pete, all due respect, is not a coupled cap, I think you are referring to the AU-777, 505, and those.

Yup, I just looked. Here's the service manual procedure.

- Pete

Attachments

• AU-999 adj.pdf
    142.1 KB · Views: 6
Thank you Pete.
Curious thing, while the LCH adjust perfect, RCH stays 34v, even switching F-1159 sides.
So far what I know is this:

./ Outputs are fine
./ Driver transistors are fine.
So, it seems that I need to sharp my limited diagnostics skills :rolleyes:

To clarify, the AU999 is not a Cap coupled amplifier. I should know I am working on one right now.

Pull the F1209 boards out, or if you have one of the models where if you select "Speaker C" it also disconnects the pre-amp from the poweramp, do that.

Then see what you have.

If you still have huge offset, then pull the driver board out. Could be D801/809, at the front of the driver circuit, one or both might have shorted out...

If you still have offset, you need to check the driver and output transistors, it could be possible with the Quasi design to lose a transistor without taking a rail fuse out...and now we are all ripping out the DC protection, it is possible to have this sort of DC on the outputs...

Thank you Kev,
I'm on it right now... I'll report later.
I did all what you said... right now I'm checking resistors too (as I'm there anyway I'll replace some old carbon with new vishay metal film that I have on hand)

There is one other thing to check, and that would be the filter block which the Emitter resistors are on, make sure the transistors on those are good.
Apart from that it's just a bit of detective work and you'll find it.

when i get such as this i first see what voltages at the outputs . if ok move to the drivers . but first noting whether offset is plus or minus .
p.s output voltages wont be correct at this stage but might lend a clue as to where to look next .

Those damn emitter resistors are way out specs... I'll put some on my next mouser order.
Thanks folks, your are gentlemen and scholars:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom