Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

That's good to know. I actually love the look and simplicity of the arm. Indeed it does keep the needle planted firmly in the groove which makes the cart track very good. There's so much detail and such a wide Soundstage coming from this table that I'm listening to all my albums again to hear what I was missing. My hats off to you Marc for the incredible technical build with this table and Bill for the great craftsmanship of the woodwork. :bowdown:
I've said many times that a xxxx is simply an XA with a butt load of money thrown at it,.... some of it hit the right places :D
And for some unknown reason, the soundstage is bigger......:idea:........but I do have my hunches ;)

I found this on ebay today. Don't you think the arm is a bit to long for this table? They are asking 700.

s-l1600.jpg

I found this on ebay today. Don't you think the arm is a bit to long for this table? They are asking 700.

View attachment 982958
I've seen that one on there for awhile and they only have the one picture which seems suspicious to me. $700 seems high, but I could be wrong, I would try contacting him and see if he gives up more info and pictures of it.

Audiofreak71

Ugh. Gotta love that p*** yellow paintjob.

That looks like a bastardized JH (not Mayware) Formula 4. The Mayware fits the stock geometry but the JH is longer.

I don't perceive (at least from the photo) any point on the record where the stylus would come close to tracking the grooves tangentially.

If I can jump in here...

I'm slowly accumulating everything needs for a Technics tonearm pipe swap/re-wire on my TA.

I'm still waiting for the tonearm pipe set screw (#5-40) needed to hold it in place.
Thank you @marcmorin for pointing me in the right direction on that!

Now I can't seem to get the clips off the pins of the technics' connector. They don't seem to be soldered just pressed on there really firm.
Any insight in how to get them off without ruining the spring pins?

IMG_20170810_203012.jpg

IMG_20170810_194524.jpg

If I can jump in here...

I'm slowly accumulating everything needs for a Technics tonearm pipe swap/re-wire on my TA.

I'm still waiting for the tonearm pipe set screw (#5-40) needed to hold it in place.
Thank you @marcmorin for pointing me in the right direction on that!

Now I can't seem to get the clips off the pins of the technics' connector. They don't seem to be soldered just pressed on there really firm.
Any insight in how to get them off without ruining the spring pins?

View attachment 983415

View attachment 983416

they don't come off as far as I know. I carefully open the crimped end and pull the wire from them. set the new wire in and close the crimp, solder. I do this with a headshell installed to get the pins to their compressed height. some shrink tubing. check continuity, check the pins will extend and contract. don't bind the wires together near the connectors.

Just picked this up today after seeing it last week on an online classified site. Not bad for less than a 'C' note.
20170813_182610.jpg 20170813_182622.jpg 20170813_182637.jpg 20170813_183308.jpg
As you can see its a little rough. The dust-cover has some chips and a crack in it and the top plate is pretty worn and scuffed. It is fully operational though, and while I haven't measured the speed, it sounds right to the ear.
It came with a Shure M91ED that seems to have an aftermarket stylus on it.
The plinth/surround appears to be chipboard with vinyl veneer stuck to it that is in very good shape. The serial # on the bottom and inside reads 251103.
Gonna have to do a bunch of reading up on this to see where I'm gonna go from here.
Thanks to everyone for posting in this thread and the others here, it is an invaluable resource that I am very grateful for.

EDIT: I would be grateful if someone could identify what that round metal disc under/beside the tonearm is. My first instinct was a dust-bug mount, but it looks like none I've ever seen. I thought it might be a 45 adapter but it appears to be fused to the top plate in some fashion - it won't budge.Here are some close up shots of it.
20170813_183812.jpg 20170813_183731.jpg 20170813_183720.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find, congrats! Pretty sure that's a 45 adapter—no idea why it would be stuck to the top plate though :dunno:

Just picked this up today after seeing it last week on an online classified site. Not bad for less than a 'C' note.
View attachment 985332 View attachment 985336 View attachment 985337 View attachment 985338
As you can see its a little rough. The dust-cover has some chips and a crack in it and the top plate is pretty worn and scuffed. It is fully operational though, and while I haven't measured the speed, it sounds right to the ear.
It came with a Shure M91ED that seems to have an aftermarket stylus on it.
The plinth/surround appears to be chipboard with vinyl veneer stuck to it that is in very good shape. The serial # on the bottom and inside reads 251103.
Gonna have to do a bunch of reading up on this to see where I'm gonna go from here.
Thanks to everyone for posting in this thread and the others here, it is an invaluable resource that I am very grateful for.

EDIT: I would be grateful if someone could identify what that round metal disc under/beside the tonearm is. My first instinct was a dust-bug mount, but it looks like none I've ever seen. I thought it might be a 45 adapter but it appears to be fused to the top plate in some fashion - it won't budge.Here are some close up shots of it.
View attachment 985352 View attachment 985354 View attachment 985355
Nice find congratulations!, now it's time to send off to Marc to work his magic :thumbsup:

Also pretty sure that's a 45 adapter as stated above.

Very excited. Added a 1983-made XD serial no. "The Turntable" to the AR stable, joining my XA. The XD has a Sumiko Blue Point cartridge on it and sounded fantastic for one record, and then it developed a hum, more like static, almost like ham radio static trying to tune into a signal. Very strange. Sounds like movie aliens! Makes the noise with or without power and a huge thump when the pre-amp selects / deselects the input. Obviously some kind of ground loop issue to be investigated. But otherwise in excellent condition, I'm a happy camper!

(Edit: Ended up being simply a loose tone arm harness!)

l99tJtXl.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom