Solar Eclipse - August 21st, 2017

Teej

My wife and I are dropping the baby off at my parents' house and driving from our home in New Orleans to Nashville, Tennessee. We are spending the weekend enjoying what the city has to offer (neither of us has been there before), then on Monday morning we will be making our way to a park and picnicking with friends right up through the eclipse in the early afternoon.

We've had the hotel room booked for over a year. We got our special glasses, camp chairs, and a big ol' ice chest. Looking for recommendations for things to do/see/eat in and around Nashville.

Who's going?

The center of the zone goes right over my county so we hardly have to go anywhere. Not sure yet where I'll be watching from, depends on who has an eclipse party!

BTW I was in the Post Office this morning and they have Total Eclipse 2017 stamps. I was thinking they should just make one that's totally black with "Total Eclipse 2017" in white letters. I would totally buy that. :rflmao:

We're going on a two week vacation / road trip and the end of it is in Paducah, KY for the eclipse. We have our glasses. I need to get a filter for my camera.

I'd love to, but unfortunately I've got other plans in a part of the country that is nowhere near it. Still though, its tempting to bolt down to South Carolina just to watch it.

I'm in the same boat as Gadget, the 80% zone. I'd have to head down to the Smokies or SC, probably eight hours each way. I'm counting on people posting videos of the totality coming & going.
I have family members in the Seattle area that are travelling to the high desert of central Oregon, probably as far as I would be driving.

So.... I am basically at "ground zero" and barring the Zombie Apocolypse.. Rapture.. or an attack by N. Korea..

It should be an interesting and memorable event. Although it seems right now no one person or agency really knows what to expect of it all?

Where will I be.. hmmm, probably watching it on the "NASA stream". There are many counterfeit glasses in circulation right now and I don't want to risk losing the limited vision I have to enjoy for the next... 20 years... maybe : )

Eh, get some glasses from a reputable retailer that have the right ISO certification on the back and you'll be fine.

Eh, get some glasses from a reputable retailer that have the right ISO certification on the back and you'll be fine.

Yeah, I hate that I have already found so many who have bad glasses. Factories in 3rd world countries have been pumping out fake glasses like crazy for a year, complete with fake ISO 12312-2 labels. Amazon just did some huge recalls.

Thousands are going to be burning permanent blind spots into their retinas on the 21st :(

It will be an 84% eclipse at my location, should be quite a sight.

I will be in school on August 21. Too bad it will only be a partial eclipse in Escondido. Don't know if they will take all the students outside or not, it would be nice if they did though! But knowing my school, even if they do let us outside, they will probably just tell us to look at it for 1 second at a time. I know buying all those eclipse glasses is a big price, but it would be less the price of having the kids burn a blind spot in their eyes.

Hopefully someone convinces the staff that seeing something that won't happen again for 7 years (I think) is more important than learning math that we will never use in life.

Will Tenskwatawa be there? Will he stamp his foot and make an earthquake felt in the country of the Ojibwe and Ottawa?

Remember to comfort your companion animals. They know something's wrong with the universe!

95% totality where I live, my wife and self took the morning off from work so we can enjoy it.

Yeah, I hate that I have already found so many who have bad glasses. Factories in 3rd world countries have been pumping out fake glasses like crazy for a year, complete with fake ISO 12312-2 labels. Amazon just did some huge recalls.

Thousands are going to be burning permanent blind spots into their retinas on the 21st :(

It will be an 84% eclipse at my location, should be quite a sight.
Space.com has guide lines on how to test your glasses to see if they are up to snuff. I got a refund from Amazon and they pulled all the glasses to cover there butts. The ones I have are certified in Canada but not the U.S. and passed the test Space.com outlines. Even so I will not be staring at it the whole time and keep viewing to 10 to 15 seconds at a time until totality which is 95% here.

I used one of these for the last one. I also had a pair of sunglasses on underneath the hood as well.
9423.jpg

^ ^ ^

I checked with a welding supply shop here. They said they have been out of the # 14 lenses for a couple of weeks and their supplier is back ordered.

Back
Top Bottom