You may only keep one guitar...

Here is the best Henry era Les Paul I have owned and regret selling everyday still. 1991 Tobaccoburst plaintop non weight relieved Standard, this played and sounded every bit as good as any Les Paul of any dollar amount I have tried out or owned. Only thing not stock was I pulled the original pups and put in a pair of Tim Shaw wound PAF's, both read 7.9 ohms (he was more known for his T-Tops and Dirty Fingers winds). This guitar was a perfect match for me, one that got away that I can never replace short of buying it back from the woman who owns it now, problem is she lives in Sweden last I knew

V233Rjf.jpg

Last edited:
Jack -- always loved this look on a Tele. I remember first time I saw one when in the booklet for a Clapton compilation album. I think it was from the Blind Faith era. After that a Tele Custom was on my short list.

Yeah, my camera pic under shop floodlight doesn't do it justice.
It looks 'right'. The sunburst looks like a friend's real one. His has worn differently due to nitro lacquer aging as opposed to poly, but mine has enough dings and character to make me happy.

My 70 LP Custom that Hubert Sumlin gave and signed to me 30 years ago. I still use it regularly as a gig guitar.

Smokestack Lightnin' His-self...wow. I would never give that up either.

I'm sure there's a good story to go along with that guitar.:)

Even nicer up close. Is that a TP6 tailpiece you added? I did similar to my LP as the Grovers were slipping and I found the fine tuning tailpiece a real advantage.
Yes, it had a chrome one when I got the guitar from Hubert. It needed a lot of work. I got that tailpiece for $10 from a friend at a local music store. I had to do a little work with a Dremel tool to get it to fit properly. I see they now sell for well over $100 new. Here it is in action a few years back running directly into my reissue 65 Super Reverb. Rockin' Johnny Burgin is on the other guitar.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I would keep a Squier Jazz bass that I bought several years ago. I'd be giving up my 21 year old Fender American Standard basses. But this Squier is actually the best playing bass I've ever had (although the Am. St. pick-ups have a little better tone). People have talked smack about it, but a good set up makes a world of difference.

Believe it or not, I would keep a Squier Jazz bass that I bought several years ago. I'd be giving up my 21 year old Fender American Standard basses. But this Squier is actually the best playing bass I've ever had (although the Am. St. pick-ups have a little better tone). People have talked smack about it, but a good set up makes a world of difference.

There are a lot of really nice Squier guitars. I had a dual P90 equipped Squier Tele that was a fantastic player. I only sold it because I couldn't justify keeping three P90 equipped guitars;) It was an out-of-production model and actually went for more than I paid for it new on that auction site.

This would be difficult but if it came down to that it would be my number one since 1974.
That's the ES-335 in my avatar.
It's a '69 that I bought used in '74.
I gigged many, many nights with that guitar and it still see service these days.

Thanks so much, Louis! This and my SB-1 have been registered for years at GBL.:) Is your L1000 there? I am bluesblaster, there. The SB-1 blows my mind every time I play it, as does the ASAT. There's something about being a G&L owner and fan that makes me feel gifted.

I'm actually on the hunt for another J45

These sure do have "the sound"...there's nothing else like it.
This guitar was a CL find; I saw the ad half an hour after it was posted.
I run over ASAP to have a look and the guy's phone rings after I've been there a few minutes.
He tells the caller that he has a buyer looking at the guitar and I can hear the caller say "I'll give you two hundred more than you're asking".
Fortunately the owner was cool and honored his crazy low asking price, but I hate it when $#!t like that happens.

your Tele is simply TITS!!!

I'll tell her you said so, thanks!

I had a coworker find out I liked guitars and he asked me if I could tell him if a few he had were worth anything.

His brother-in-law was a player and left him a couple when he passed away. The close family got the "good guitars".

He emails me a couple photos and what were they? A Gibson Hummingbird, a Fender Jaguar, and a Les Paul Custom. I would love to see the good guitars...I offered to help find out the vintage of these nice instruments. I should have told him they were junk and I'd give him $20 for firewood;)

The Hummingbird looks older and has a split back with intricate binding down the center. The Jaguar looks old and It might be a first run. The Les Paul looks mint, so without the S/N no idea of the age. I hope to get a better look at them this week.

None are for sale. Too bad.

Back
Top Bottom