Last Best Thing I Heard on My McIntosh

Last night, my wife and I listened to the Living Stereo version of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. What an engaging recording!

Pick up a new album over the holidays. Lee Ritenour's 6 String Theory. Packed full of great artist - BB King, Robert Cray, George Benson, Keb Mo, Taj Mahal, Vince Gill, Slash... Many greats with a variety of types of tracks. Sounds very good on vinyl.

Listening tonight and time to resurrect this thread with XR290s in the house. Join in for a discovery thread.

Tennessee Whiskey off Traveller by Chris Stapleton

Whatever Lola Wants (Lola Gets). Karmen McRae. On I'll be seeing you:A Tribute to Karmen McRae

Use Me. Bill Withers- Greatest Hits Lean On Me

Last edited:
The new Roger Waters album is a spectacular sounding gem. There are two tracks that are a bit too political for me, so I just skip 'em. Tracks 2 and 9 are OH EM GEE when cranked. This may be the very best sounding CD I've purchased in a few years now. Roger's voice still holds up well. I'm anxious to listen to this on my Altecs after I refurbish the crossover networks. I never could get into A2D and this isn't more of that - more like The Final Cut, Pros & Cons, and The Wall.

Side 2 of Rod Stewart's Foot Loose and Fancy Free - all covers. I could've sworn Rod was in the room with me. My only copy has lots of pops and ticks but man does Rod sound good. This is one of those cases where a better copy may not be better at all so I'll think I'll stick with this one.

The new Buckingham / McVie record (Fleetwood Mac LESS Stevie Nicks really . . . ) is pretty phenomenal as well. Great music, great sound, and a great production.

Same goes for the new Paul Simon record - Stranger to Stranger. Albeit the song, "In a Parade" is pretty silly. I bought the LP but looks like the CD has a few extra tracks. MF says the record blows the CD away though . . . so take that for what it is.

The new Roger Waters album is a spectacular sounding gem. There are two tracks that are a bit too political for me, so I just skip 'em. Tracks 2 and 9 are OH EM GEE when cranked. This may be the very best sounding CD I've purchased in a few years now. Roger's voice still holds up well. I'm anxious to listen to this on my Altecs after I refurbish the crossover networks. I never could get into A2D and this isn't more of that - more like The Final Cut, Pros & Cons, and The Wall.

Side 2 of Rod Stewart's Foot Loose and Fancy Free - all covers. I could've sworn Rod was in the room with me. My only copy has lots of pops and ticks but man does Rod sound good. This is one of those cases where a better copy may not be better at all so I'll think I'll stick with this one.

The new Buckingham / McVie record (Fleetwood Mac LESS Stevie Nicks really . . . ) is pretty phenomenal as well. Great music, great sound, and a great production.

Same goes for the new Paul Simon record - Stranger to Stranger. Albeit the song, "In a Parade" is pretty silly. I bought the LP but looks like the CD has a few extra tracks. MF says the record blows the CD away though . . . so take that for what it is.

I got a couple of business trips to Phoenix and Tempe in October. PM me if you want to show me why I need a double box Pre Amp and get those Altecs done. The spouses is tagging along on one too. I am always up for hearing a set Of Rogers Speaker I have not heard. Hint XR22s.

I got a couple of business trips to Phoenix and Tempe in October. PM me if you want to show me why I need a double box Pre Amp and get those Altecs done. The spouses is tagging along on one too. I am always up for hearing a set Of Rogers Speaker I have not heard. Hint XR22s.
You're both definitely welcome to drop by sir. I think that'd be fun. We could make an evening of it for sure. As for the Altecs being refurbed between now and then, I'd give that a strong MAYBE. LOL . . . car season begins in October and the Olds' needs some TLC.

You're both definitely welcome to drop by sir. I think that'd be fun. We could make an evening of it for sure. As for the Altecs being refurbed between now and then, I'd give that a strong MAYBE. LOL . . . car season begins in October and the Olds' needs some TLC.

Sounds great. The wife is an extreme music head that benefits from my McAddiction, and knows every song and lyric. Have to show me that Olds Cutlass. Will be around 1st and 3rd week in October. she is most likely doing some of 3rd week.

Send Me On My Way Rusted Root - When I Awoke piccolo and Percussion. live in the club feel

The Boxer. live In Central Park Simon and Garfunkle. You know you have a resolving system if you can hear Diesel Generators running between the end and the next song. reply with what your running. I never heard it until the XR290s and MC1000s with RP. Reply if the generator hum put you there and describe your system.

Last edited:
Send Me On My Way Rusted Root - When I Awoke piccolo and Percussion. live in the club feel

The Boxer. live In Central Park Simon and Garfunkle. You know you have a resolving system if you can hear Diesel Generators running between the end and the next song. reply with what your running. I never heard it until the XR290s and MC1000s with RP

That Rusted Root album is superb in general!

@damacman This album is one of my all time favs, its an unreal recording, and the band was hot, I saw the tour for this album when I was 13, it was so good, side one is legendary too, but you can't go past that cover of You Keep Me hanging on, it needs to be played at considerable volume....

IMG_0046.PNG iEverything She Thing She Does is Magic-The Police with 8 DB left.before Power Guard starts lighting up.

Last edited:
@damacman This album is one of my all time favs, its an unreal recording, and the band was hot, I saw the tour for this album when I was 13, it was so good, side one is legendary too, but you can't go past that cover of You Keep Me hanging on, it needs to be played at considerable volume....
kev - two weeks ago was the first time I ever listened to side 2, if you can believe that. I was just floored.

16dB to go before you match my living room record ...
Well the 8dB takes it to. 88dB on the Lyngdorf display which they say is 0 dB reference. Volume goes to 100. I have pushed it to 92 before and was hitting 2KW peaks. Where that is in Decibels i have not tried to measure.

I have to ask what you were driving to 127 dB and what amps? And distance measurement from speakers? That was around 16 feet to closest driver.

Well the 8dB takes it to. 88dB on the Lyngdorf display which they say is 0 dB reference. Volume goes to 100. I have pushed it to 92 before and was hitting 2KW peaks. Where that is in Decibels i have not tried to measure.

I have to ask what you were driving to 127 dB and what amps? And distance measurement from speakers? That was around 16 feet to closest driver.
My Altecs with strapped MC2300s with the needles buried - as in, just pegged to the right and not moving. 15 foot listening distance. Aan Parsons Project The Gold Bug . . . My buddy Mike, a man of few words, was quoted as saying, "That's loud as hell!" The next day, the crossover network in the right speaker was toast and it took me ten years to find Altec OEM parts to repair it.

Ah to be in my 20s again . . .

Back
Top Bottom