Today's INDIE Playlist

The Oh Sees have a new album out called Orc which reminded me of their Mutilator... album. Which is a great album all the way through. The LP (vinyl) is 45rpm and sounds great. Here's a live take of Withered Hand. The album version has better sonics but the energy of a live Oh Sees concert is something to see.

I missed the pre-orders. Apparently they have more coming up gain. Either way, Thee Oh Sees are great.
One of my favourite track of theirs:

Night Crawler -

BTW - if y'all haven't noticed these videos I've posted aren't "embedded" with playback code cuz of the current problems with YouTube thumbnails. However, the graphics are the actual thumbnails and they are true links to the YouVideo. See this.

It works, I was wondering how you did that.

Noting a lot of love for BJM lately.

Do yourself a favour and get their double CD Tepid Peppermint Wonderland and take your BJM journey from there. The guy is a melody making machine.

Brian Jonestown Massacre- Wisdom

It works, I was wondering how you did that.

Noting a lot of love for BJM lately.

Do yourself a favour and get their double CD Tepid Peppermint Wonderland and take your BJM journey from there. The guy is a melody making machine.

Brian Jonestown Massacre- Wisdom

Well done! It was you and that guy with the "Warriors" avatar who got me taking a deeper look at BJM. I thought they were Brits - they're not. They're from San Francisco in the early 1990's. I listened to a lot of college radio (24 / 7) back in the mid to late 1990's and NEVER heard of them until recently on "modern" college radio.

Well done! It was you and that guy with the "Warriors" avatar who got me taking a deeper look at BJM. I thought they were Brits - they're not. They're from San Francisco in the early 1990's. I listened to a lot of college radio (24 / 7) back in the mid to late 1990's and NEVER heard of them until recently on "modern" college radio.

Mystic, another guy who I'd happily crash on his couch and go through his record collection over a weekend.

I was lucky and came across them in the 90's on emusic which was about the only place you could legally download music before iTunes. I'm getting around to filling the physical back catalogue of late.

Check out the documentary DIG! which documents their drug filled trip in the 90's and their rivalry with The Dandy Warhols. Unfortunately the reputation for mayhem followed them around for awhile which would bring some parts of the audience to heckle and cause more mayhem. Anton Newcombe (it's his band) has settled down now in Germany and is still doing good things, I've tweeted him a couple of times and these days he's always seems very friendly.

Check out the documentary DIG! which documents their drug filled trip in the 90's and their rivalry with The Dandy Warhols. Unfortunately the reputation for mayhem followed them around for awhile which would bring some parts of the audience to heckle and cause more mayhem. Anton Newcombe (it's his band) has settled down now in Germany and is still doing good things, I've tweeted him a couple of times and these days he's always seems very friendly.
I just watched it. It was interesting seeing the counterpoint or whatever of the Dandy Warhols. In these days of indie they could have skipped a lot of the roadblocks and found a worldwide audience and just lived gig-to-gig and made records whenever they wanted to.

I'm also a big BJM fan. I duscovered them back in 2005, when they played Lollapalooza. They've put out a huge, diverse body of work. My favourite album of theirs is "...and this is our music".

Here's the documentary (1 hr 47 min). It has some great "Spinal Tap" moments like when the Dandy Warhols fell into the clutches of the Suits at their label and were forced to do this silly Duran Duran style video. The doc is interesting cuz it was made "real time" from the beginning when nobody had any idea where it was all going. Best line IMHO "How can you miss with a name like that? I don't need to hear them". Or something to that effect. Enjoy -

My favourite line. "You broke my sitar mothermucker....*PUNCH*"

Back
Top Bottom