The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Have a friends Technics SL 1200MK2 here.
Told me the platter spins too fast and was told it needed IC 201, AN6680.
Dropped off to me the table and the part, installed said part as a favor and no fixy!

Looks like many have had the same problem:

Strobe light works, 33 and 45 buttons work and can be changed, platter spins fast but no wobble, and not so fast that it is scary.

Any idea on the next step?
Schematic?

Thanks!

So I rearranged my room and cleaned up some stuff. Went from having my 1200 M5g on a stainless steel table to a 90s particle board rack. On the table with all the junk my at 440mla sounded great on it. After the changes the sound changed as well now the better cart is the at95e?? The receiver has a eq and I left the settings as is. Just wondering if anyone is rocking the At95e.

image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

So I rearranged my room and cleaned up some stuff. Went from having my 1200 M5g on a stainless steel table to a 90s particle board rack. On the table with all the junk my at 440mla sounded great on it. After the changes the sound changed as well now the better cart is the at95e?? The receiver has a eq and I left the settings as is. Just wondering if anyone is rocking the At95e.

View attachment 976724 View attachment 976725View attachment 976726

I only used the AT95e which came with my previous turntable the Audio Technica LP120. It's long been a well regarded cart for the money and I know LP gear sells shibata stylus that you can swap in for added tracking ability.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN95SA.html

I also own the AT150mlx and have found it to do well with the 1200 but my current preference is for the Denon MC carts which really sing on my setup!

Looking to see any printed material (ads, catalogues, manuals, price lists) where there is mention of SL-120MK2 (not mk1, not 1200 mk2). Was it sold worldwide or was market specific and in which period exactly? I've seen the few net appearances but looking for some more "evidence".
I found your model on a list. Just type VintageTechnics in your browser. then you'll see turntables select that, should be on the list close to the bottom of the page. I tried to paste a page here but it didn't want to post correctly

Not trying to piss off any Rega lovers, I truly believe the technics 1200 is superior to the rega's. they just seem flimsy and cheap.

I had both a Rega and SL-1200 at the same time and one of them had to go.The Rega is now gone. :banana:

The technics sounds better and is a pleasure to use. so much scope for upgrades too. No point putting a new arm on the Rega.

I had both a Rega and SL-1200 at the same time and one of them had to go.The Rega is now gone. :banana:

The technics sounds better and is a pleasure to use. so much scope for upgrades too. No point putting a new arm on the Rega.

Which Rega did u have. My sl-1900 just developed speed problems and in the process of seeing if it's repairable. I've been looking really hard at the new P3. I really like my 1200s. There's a nice Mk2 that's about 2 hours away not not sure if I would make the drive. I haven't tried my M3D on my larger speakers where the 1900 sits. I am afraid it might make a move. And I really like where it's at. Lol

I've put just about every cartridge there is that retails under $300 on my stock SL-1200 and plenty of different styli, too. The SL-1200 loves them all. I keep putting off buying a fluid damper, though. Not sure why.

I do think my RCA's have been replaced with low impedance as mine read only about 80 pF. Could also be that my tonearm was rewired, too, by the previous owner. It was babied and showed signs of "audiophile use" like a backwards CW to reduce moment of inertia and increase speed.

I love the DL-103 on my SL-1200, but I wouldn't say it bests the AT150MLX. They're very different and which is "better" to me would simply be a matter of taste. The DL-103 has a lot of air, headroom and sparkle as does the 150MLX. However, the DL-103 can sound confused due to spherical tip groove pinch that is exacerbated by the required heavy tracking forces and arm mass--it can't get out of its own way. Spherical tips on light-tracking moving magnet or moving iron cartridges do not exhibit groove pinch so noticeably to my ears.

In comparison, the 150MLX is incisive and the boron cantilever makes it very fast, indeed, but perhaps a tad thin sounding against the round lush fullness of DL-103. The 150MLX may be too aggressive for the liking of some, in which case the laid back DL-103 could be the perfect antidote. I imagine that a DL-103 retipped with a MicroLine or Paratrace is probably a perfect marriage between the two and is probably also safer for your records in terms of groove wear than a stock DL-103--but I'm not a groove wear phobe so I don't see the DL-103 as a threat to my vinyl anyway. The popularity of the DL-103 modded with an extended line contact signals to me that this is the way to go. I'll get around to it one day.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Have you tried the Denon DL301mk2? Mine's still breaking in a bit but I've found it to also be a wonderful performer on my 1210. It's a better match to the stock tonearm and gives a brighter more forward sound compared to the 103. I still seem to have for 103 overall and haven't noticed spherical tip to sound confused or burred. I do have the build damper installed which might help with compliance but hard to say if it leads to better performance with 103 or any other cartridge.

I've not used the 150mlx in awhile so it's memory is a bit hazy but I ought to compare it to the 301 which is probably closer in sound signature. I'll have to swap it in again to see how it does against some MC carts!

Which Rega did u have. My sl-1900 just developed speed problems and in the process of seeing if it's repairable. I've been looking really hard at the new P3. I really like my 1200s. There's a nice Mk2 that's about 2 hours away not not sure if I would make the drive. I haven't tried my M3D on my larger speakers where the 1900 sits. I am afraid it might make a move. And I really like where it's at. Lol

Old Planaar 2. If the 1900 is a mk1 and it's anything like the 1300 and 1500, the speed issue may be fixable with a few squirts of deoxit.

Don't let one man's opinion stop you from looking harder at the Rega though. As my signature suggests, I may not be the most unbiased opinion around

Finally someone has a 1200gr. You will have to tell us how u like it. Also if have done a side by side with a original 1200. Thanks
Will do. It was a long wait (ordered 5/5, had to change dealers after getting bumped to September/October) and I won' t have a stereo cart (2M Bronze) until Tuesday.

Initial impressions - it's so much more substantial than my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I love the adjustability of everything and the ability to swap carts in the fly is going to be nice.

I don't have an original to compare to, the closest thing I have on-hand is an AT-LP240 in a second system. It doesn't come close in build quality/fit & finish and the cart differences (it's wearing an AT440MLA) aren't fair.

View attachment 976724 View attachment 976725View attachment 976726
I'm got my AT95he mounted on my 1200 mk2 with a couple of KAB mods. Stevie Nicks is sounding soooooooooooooooooooo sultry.

Took some time today to add some blutack to the underside of the bearing housing of my 1210mk2.

Can't say I notice a large difference but in general the turntable has been sounding great and today it sounds a touch more exceptional.

Is this still a common mod with 1200 owners?

Updated pics... I know, not an SL-1200, but close enough.

Technics SL-1700 MKII with Soundsmith Otello and Lounge Audio LCR MKIII...

p1722580673-5.jpg

Are the mounting screws default ones that came with the cartridge? Any reason for them being so big?
How does the Otello sound on a Technics? It is supposed to be their warmest sounding cartridge.

Also, can I use it with the Zupreme headshell (weighing 12g) or will it be too heavy for the tonearm?

Jetstream, If your still looking for info on your SL-120MK2, I messed up on the link before. vintagetechnics.audio should take you to vintage technics home. there you can find you table on a list.

Back
Top Bottom