The official AK golf thread

My golf story.

I have not played for 10 years and I used to play 18 to 27 per week. 10 handicapper. Won money in the end-of season league tourneys and won putters and hats in scrambles. Lots of fun those days. A bad knee from old sports injuries and raising teenage kids was the reason I quit.

In 2011 I had L1/S5 back surgery from a blown disk but still suffer from nerve damage down my right leg. Not much pain but it is weak and my heel is numb with the inability to stand on my tip-toes on the right side. In June of last year at the age of 53, I finally had the right knee replaced.

I have been doing a lot of weight training and low impact cardio for my legs and back. The knee is getting better all the time which is much better now then before the surgery. The back is responding well to kettle ball deadlifting, swings, half squats, cable rowing and stuff.

I purchased a new set of clubs last winter as motivation to get back into it, and while I have not actually played yet, I've been on the range developing a fundamentally sound swing that minimizes back pain. I'm learning golf all over again!!

I think I'm almost there and should be ready to get on the course this fall when it starts to cool down. I don't like heat and golf at the same time LOL! Thank God my issues are with my right leg otherwise I'd have to become a south paw!

My golf story.

I have not played for 10 years and I used to play 18 to 27 per week. 10 handicapper. Won money in the end-of season league tourneys and won putters and hats in scrambles. Lots of fun those days. A bad knee from old sports injuries and raising teenage kids was the reason I quit.

In 2011 I had L1/S5 back surgery from a blown disk but still suffer from nerve damage down my right leg. Not much pain but it is weak and my heel is numb with the inability to stand on my tip-toes on the right side. In June of last year at the age of 53, I finally had the right knee replaced.

I have been doing a lot of weight training and low impact cardio for my legs and back. The knee is getting better all the time which is much better now then before the surgery. The back is responding well to kettle ball deadlifting, swings, half squats, cable rowing and stuff.

I purchased a new set of clubs last winter as motivation to get back into it, and while I have not actually played yet, I've been on the range developing a fundamentally sound swing that minimizes back pain. I'm learning golf all over again!!

I think I'm almost there and should be ready to get on the course this fall when it starts to cool down. I don't like heat and golf at the same time LOL! Thank God my issues are with my right leg otherwise I'd have to become a south paw!

You, me and Tiger have the same problems, lol. My back feels different every time out so I have to re-learn my swing while on course. If I am lucky, I am hitting straight and long in the middle of the round but invariably, it will tighten up. Most days, I am done after nine.

I have been playing 9 on Sunday mornings with my buddy. Tee off on the back 9 at 6:30 and play in under two hours. Home by 9am, works for me. Working my way back from a complete and utter meltdown. I am talking horrific slices paired with snap hooks off the tee. Missing both ways is not good at all. So I have been really focusing on slowing down the backswing and a half second hesitation at the top of the swing. Keeps things from getting out of hand. Short game has been good as has the putting. Went around the last 9 holes in 15 putts with no 3 putts. Shot a commercial 45 on the back side par 37. Hope springs eternal.

I Can't believe I Never saw this Thread before.......I Play as many Rounds of Golf I can Squeeze into a Weekend.

I Play Callaway Forged Irons and X2Hot Woods with a Bertha mini 12* Driver / X2Hot 8.5* Driver with a SC Squareback Putter.

If You're Ever in Central FLA. let me know maybe we'll Play a Round or Three.

My Boyz the Other Day at Kissimmee Bay Golf Course.
fqT4gLDrTWT8doV1mep8v6plShVjYXIYtnbpashFZnxlkuEwPZ62meCDdiCppdkKvjuFy_z_5PY6gRlfLVQ5E6EqMEcElGOCebTbOOvl4hgMONdxMUtAnNA7JdsCe50e948FDS7ds5qyBZlhhChgdcaMm9OaS2aBzpJO8udrZUPV02l0os6-Q-mLzP0D2-MW3t7QpFGxH74hoFkMGBlAde0xXTMT7GIKG66ek5x1Al1c2qVNQ-69tDxIFgeujAChBS0vh0GrcGOB-KkYCzaqycgx_UFlz_d0sX-CgnBK4gRILaGhIuzPrjIuQ0tCiFLpVnNcTsClEh-MzbKis_hmoPqpgDPbTpAq7O1PTxBq0VMHvMsvXHLNP7qv-NnQ_NfnpGOdNz3QdMb6kE7L0eJV_-DHhQgsUXl3QqII25MHGix2Kq2QIYeOT3ICl2IGItf22Zoj38_3371XqH6rM3BLGEBeZIeq83tMYQyH88ecw1BWfSsN3Gfew_blPErjGkLavUrVgHK7OwcMgCyFmVL5wh2wgz2YWA2gAoOb4Fq5wZIJo72qsf7fn2EWahz4sj5luht8eDYxFVIs4u9wz9A17MipVSALtSamgWM7KrWu8hxoQJXBZ_WhD5F_=w1135-h638-no

Take it Easy Everyone, Mike. :smoke:

had a 9 hole 45 yesterday...2 7's in the mix but about 13 quality iron shots which made my day. Watching more LPGA is paying off.

Played 18 this morning with some Friends.......Heading Back out to Play another 18 with My Boyz.

Fairways and Greens Everyone......Have a Great Weekend.

,Mike. :smoke:

Played 18 this morning with some Friends.......Heading Back out to Play another 18 with My Boyz.

Fairways and Greens Everyone......Have a Great Weekend.

,Mike. :smoke:

Ended up Going to Winter Pines in Winter Park FLA. it was Raining on the Back 9 still had a Great Time with My Boyz.

Fairways and Greens, Mike. :smoke:

It's been an entertaining PGA. It looks like Thomas is in control with a couple holes to go. On this course however all bets are off till the last putt is dropped. Killer final three holes.

It has been my observation that betting (at the beginning) on who would win ANY golf tournament this year would be an exercise in futility!

Last edited:
We Played 18 Holes Today with some Friends of Mine......I Got an Eagle on the 2nd Hole a Par 4 I chipped My 2nd shot and Holed it. ;)

The extent of my game has been reduced to watching the Golf Channel....but I have been asked out a few times and may dust off the sticks. The Sonhiem Cup is really great watching this AM!

@Bobcat : Wow, Congrats when I worked at Royal St. Cloud Golf Links(Great Course) we would Play 27 Holes a Day for the first 6 months(4,536 Holes) I worked there :yikes:.......wasn't to Hard as they have 3 ~ 9 Hole Courses.

Thanks for Sharing, Mike.:smoke:

@Bobcat : Wow, Congrats when I worked at Royal St. Cloud Golf Links(Great Course) we would Play 27 Holes a Day for the first 6 months(4,536 Holes) I worked there :yikes:.......wasn't to Hard as they have 3 ~ 9 Hole Courses.

Thanks for Sharing, Mike.:smoke:

4,536? That's a lot of VO lemonades for Bobcat!

4,536? That's a lot of VO lemonades for Bobcat!

Is is a lot when you add it up.......I worked 7 Days a Week at the Course So...........We(my two Boyz and I)Played 27 Holes a Day Really no worse than doing anything else Every Day Day after Day.;)

Didn't Think Golf was a Possibility this Weekend with the Tropical Depression over FLA. I was able to get 9 Holes in on Saturday and 9 Holes this Morning.......Life is Good.;)

Wow! I just found this thread. Golf is the only thing that I love more than music. I'll be playing until the snow hits.

I'm happy to report that my nephew, who plays golf for the California Golden Bears, was a part of their come from behind victory at this years Tavistock Cup Championship. The unrated Bears overcame 5 of the top 12 teams in the country to record their second victory of the year. Congratulations to all the young men who participated in this years event!

Back
Top Bottom