Today's Blues Playlist

s/t - Taste
GRM press.
1hayyiZ.jpg

Was it you that posted this one before, or somebody else?
Either way, a Hollywood Fats sighting has happened, and needs to be pointed out.

Speaking of which, I planned on spinning his band's(sans Fats) Soul Sanctuary album today.

Yesterday had some Studebaker John on the stereo; Tremolux and Born To Win.

Not that I'm aware of, but I have been known to have a few wobbly pops:beerchug: while surfing the AK forums so anything is possibly:D

Earl Hooker - The Moon is Rising
Arhoolie Records
From 1969, the last four tracks are live Hooker. Good stuff

The Mercury Blues Story, 1945-55, Midwest Blues Volume 2
Has Sunnyland Slim, Memphis Slim, Big Bill Broonzy, Robert Jr. Lockwood and others

Otis Rush- The Sonet Blues Story; Troubles, Troubles
Universal Records
Love Otis!

Just picked an unknown (Bill Doggett) as for me as I'm only familiar with the better known artists His LP of "Prelude to the Blues" (1962) Columbia Records was just a pick me up as a three LP buy. Up until then had not heard of this performer. But half way through through side A, I was impressed with his playing and the way the rest of the players arranged themselves around this main man.

The music is lay back and cool...almost freezing at times, as he mellowed out on the electric organ.

The LP lists some of the better known tunes, and he does more than adequate job of playing them out. HIS remarks on this effort was, "It's a lazy swinging blues all the way- soul melodic."

Now, am acquainted with the more aggressive style of blues, but this one set me back on my heels...literally! His rendition of "When it's Sleepy Time Down South" was really nicely arranged and performed. Even Doggett felt that, "It could be remembered for years".

My share for the day, eh?

Q

Last edited:
Muddy Waters and Friends- Goin' Way Back
Just a Memory Records

This was mentioned in the Muddy bio "Can't be Satisfied ". It is an after show performance of Muddy and his band from October 18, 1967 in Montreal playing an intimate show and recorded on a tape recorder. Muddy and his band members playing acoustic. Includes Otis Spann on acoustic guitar. Not a hifi recording but very listenable and a great addition to your Muddy catalog

Back
Top Bottom