The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

I've had a 1200 for about a year now and really like it. But, a mint, never dj'ed one popped up for sale so I snagged it. Looks great and sounds great. A few questions though...

Strange noise: A slight flutter sound happens when I turn it on. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is a weird noise that is hard to describe. And it doesn't seem to effect the playback at all as there is no residual noise during playback. Asked a few people and there doesn't seem to be any solid ideas of what it could be. Kevin at KAB thinks it may a loose coil in the power transformer but i feel like that would cause a consrant hum. This is just a quick electrical flutter that only happens right when I turn it on. Anyone experience this weird noise?

Run out groove: I'm not sure if this is a table problem, but my stylus doesn't seem to be catching the run out groove in all records. It goes right to the center and makes a grinding noise, very unpleasant. I used the technics headshell calibrator and im using about a 1.6 weight on my Ortofon Bronze cart. Also using about 1.5 on the anitskate. Any ideas why it's not catching the run out groove?

Tone arm height: Much like my other 1200 I have the tone arm height adjusted as low as it can go. I'm using the stock, heavy rubber mat and it seems the closest to level with the arm at the lowest setting. Is it normal to be adjusted all the way down?

Thanks for the help!

I've had a 1200 for about a year now and really like it. But, a mint, never dj'ed one popped up for sale so I snagged it. Looks great and sounds great. A few questions though...

Strange noise: A slight flutter sound happens when I turn it on. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is a weird noise that is hard to describe. And it doesn't seem to effect the playback at all as there is no residual noise during playback. Asked a few people and there doesn't seem to be any solid ideas of what it could be. Kevin at KAB thinks it may a loose coil in the power transformer but i feel like that would cause a consrant hum. This is just a quick electrical flutter that only happens right when I turn it on. Anyone experience this weird noise?

Run out groove: I'm not sure if this is a table problem, but my stylus doesn't seem to be catching the run out groove in all records. It goes right to the center and makes a grinding noise, very unpleasant. I used the technics headshell calibrator and im using about a 1.6 weight on my Ortofon Bronze cart. Also using about 1.5 on the anitskate. Any ideas why it's not catching the run out groove?

Tone arm height: Much like my other 1200 I have the tone arm height adjusted as low as it can go. I'm using the stock, heavy rubber mat and it seems the closest to level with the arm at the lowest setting. Is it normal to be adjusted all the way down?

Thanks for the help!
I know for the 1200GR Technics recommends setting VTA to "1" for the 2M Series cartridge height in the stock headshell and using the stock rubber mat which is @ 2mm thick. That's how I currently have it set up and I haven't experienced any issues with the run out groove.

I'm trying to get my Mooo Mat flattened out. There's a "part" (like in hair) in the hide that runs across the record and on both sides it sticks up, making it seem like every record is warped. Currently have it sandwiched between stacks of books.

Also, the azimuth is off with every headshell I've tried where it tilts down slightly to the left. Thankfully the new Technics headshell has a set screw for azimuth adjustment. The arm is perfectly flat, I think it's the collar where it accepts the headshell that's off a little.

Jetstream, If your still looking for info on your SL-120MK2, I messed up on the link before. vintagetechnics.audio should take you to vintage technics home. there you can find you table on a list.
There's no reference for 120mk2 on that site as far as I can see.

Thanks for the help!

That noise is not right or normal. I would trust Kevin's assessment, he is the expert. I just met him last week actually he is very knowledgeable about these tables. Run out groove could be the stylus, but it could also be the tonearm bearings or the anti skate. I would test both. Tonearm height depends on the cartridge. You could also try adding a spacer between the headshell and cartridge.

That noise is not right or normal. I would trust Kevin's assessment, he is the expert. I just met him last week actually he is very knowledgeable about these tables. Run out groove could be the stylus, but it could also be the tonearm bearings or the anti skate. I would test both. Tonearm height depends on the cartridge. You could also try adding a spacer between the headshell and cartridge.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going to keep an eye, or I guess ear, on the noise. Doesn't do it every time I turn it on but just seems weird. Wish I could describe it better.

The run out grove thing is weird too. Doesn't do it on every record.

Ha ha I needed to isolate the table a bit than just sitting on the particle board stand. I tried some sorbothane pads but didn't like it. Racked my brain looking around the house. I came up with ceramic and stone coasters. Lol. Anyone else doing this. My At 440mla cart sounds great again.

image.jpeg

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but I'm going to look at a used 1200 M3D off CL this week and wanted to know what to check out on it to make sure it's working right. I thought KAB had a section on his site about it, but I must be blind because I don't see it anymore. Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but I'm going to look at a used 1200 M3D off CL this week and wanted to know what to check out on it to make sure it's working right. I thought KAB had a section on his site about it, but I must be blind because I don't see it anymore. Thanks for the help.

I bought 2 tables off Craig's and they turned out to be great. If u can see if the person can demo. Also there's a guy on YouTube that had great technics no pun intended to check the 1200. Even the one I demoed I used the same method. I really like the 1200 M3d as I have one. My only regret is I didn't buy the other sitting next to it.

My 1200 mk2 was a CL acquisition. Was in good shape when I got it and after Kevin at KAB worked some of his magic (and a mod or two), superb, at least to my ears.

After about a year of shopping for a clean 1200 to last me 20 years i hope, I finally purchased a SL1200 mk5 a few weeks ago, i set up a few 1200s for friends, and have wanted one, very consistent, great clean sound, immune to a busy and noisy environment, the things you already know if you are on this thread.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (77).jpg
    FullSizeRender (77).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 18
I bought 2 tables off Craig's and they turned out to be great. If u can see if the person can demo. Also there's a guy on YouTube that had great technics no pun intended to check the 1200. Even the one I demoed I used the same method. I really like the 1200 M3d as I have one. My only regret is I didn't buy the other sitting next to it.

I'm hoping they let me test the bearing and such, or else I won't buy it even though it's pretty cheap for a 1200.

My 1200 mk2 was a CL acquisition. Was in good shape when I got it and after Kevin at KAB worked some of his magic (and a mod or two), superb, at least to my ears.

That's my plan, whenever I get a new job since I just lost my good one :(. I want the tonearm rewire, with RCAs and the fluid dampening at least.

After about a year of shopping for a clean 1200 to last me 20 years i hope, I finally purchased a SL1200 mk5 a few weeks ago, i set up a few 1200s for friends, and have wanted one, very consistent, great clean sound, immune to a busy and noisy environment, the things you already know if you are on this thread.

The Nagaoka MP110 is a great cart for the money hope you're enjoying it!

are you wanting to test the main bearing or the tonearm bearing?
Both would be great. The tonearm you just zero it out and move the anti-skate to see if it move correctly, right?

When my SL-1200's tonearm bearings were busted, the thing that made it very blatantly clear that I had a problem was to zero out the arm (make it float), turn off the antiskate, let the arm float over the tonearm rest and then blow on it ever-so-gently.

With the busted arm it would get half way and then stop very abruptly (or even bounce suddenly). with a new arm now it glides beautifully to the centre of the platter

RE: Lead in groove skip issue when using cue lever

I have an SL-1210M5G with AT150MLX. It's dialed in for 1.5g tracking force. Anti-skate is also set to 1.5.

The issue I'm having is if I use the cue lever to set the arm down on the lead in groove of the record, the stylus will often skip forward a few grooves. This only happens when setting down on the lead in groove. When setting down the arm with lever on the music portion of the record -- there is no skipping issue.

Anyone experience this issue? What causes it and what is the fix?

RE: Lead in groove skip issue when using cue lever

I have an SL-1210M5G with AT150MLX. It's dialed in for 1.5g tracking force. Anti-skate is also set to 1.5.

The issue I'm having is if I use the cue lever to set the arm down on the lead in groove of the record, the stylus will often skip forward a few grooves. This only happens when setting down on the lead in groove. When setting down the arm with lever on the music portion of the record -- there is no skipping issue.

Anyone experience this issue? What causes it and what is the fix?

Hello is this at the beginning of the record or all lead grooves in a song. Thanks

Hello is this at the beginning of the record or all lead grooves in a song. Thanks

Hi - to clarify, this is occuring when lowering the arm with cue lever on the "dead wax outer lip" at the beginning of the record. It then jumps forward a few grooves. If I set the arm down by hand on at the start of the record, it plays fine.

Also - does anyone own an M5G -- and an SL1200GR or SL1200G/GAE and done a sonic comparison? If so, what are quantifiable sonic differences between the new models and the M5G?

Back
Top Bottom