Recommendation For Good-Sounding FM Tuner

Kratebiker

Hi Everyone!

I finally dumped my home theater receiver, and happy to say am back to cleaner-sounding stereo music!! I recently purchased a Yamaha A-S701 integrated amplifier, and would like to add a good sounding FM tuner to the system. I do not mind if it is used. Any recommendations that are not break-my-wallet expensive??

Thanks!!!

Steve

I don't see how you can go wrong with a used Magnum Dynalab. The factory even offers upgrades on their older models.
I love mine and it sounds great.
Check the auction sites and prices.

Finding a low cost but good performing tuner is like an Easter egg hunt.

Just go looking and expect to be pleasantly surprised
You might come across a toad or two though.

The Yamahas are a good suggestion. T-1s and TX-950s have sold for cheap lately.
The T-1 is a solid analog tuner, the 950 is a light little digital that does a great job on
both AM and FM. The TX-1000 is one of their better-sounding units. T-70, T-80, or
the dx monster T-85 are also good. Sometimes the sound is called a little sterile or
reserved, but I don't find it lacking. I think it's just uncolored.

Very good recommendations above

Adding the Yamaha T-1020 -- a sleeper sorta. Audio forums like this one will drive up the prices on 'Sleepers'

Agreed, I would add the TX-930 which is virtually identical to the excellent 950 mentioned above.

To my ears and taste (and FWIW), the best sound per dollar spent is likely to be from a Sherwood vacuum tube tuner (S-2000 or S-3000). The one caveat is that most you'll find are mono (although adaptable to stereo, which would obviously add substantially to cost, with minimal real value (see below).

The S-3000IV or S-3000V will have on-board FM MPX stereo. Not beautiful, but they sound good.

Sherwood S3000 V 1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Personally, I would (far) rather listen to excellent quality FM mono than mediocre FM stereo. YMMV, though, of course.

I paid $35 for my S-3000V, though, and used it for several years (very good sounding FM stereo), although, in full disclosure I have replaced it with a McIntosh MR-67. The latter cost rather more than the former. The latter sounds a little better, too -- bass goes deeper. Otherwise, they sound far more similar than different.

I haven't owned a Yamaha CT-1010 but they are holding their value at $150 and up. They were Yamaha's top affordable tuner below the CT-7000. A black T-7 would probably look nice with your amp.

I haven't owned a Yamaha CT-1010 but they are holding their value at $150 and up. They were Yamaha's top affordable tuner below the CT-7000. A black T-7 would probably look nice with your amp.
[emphasis added]
No, that would have been the T-2, and their prices on the used market reflect that.
The CT-1010 is a decent tuner (I have one) but I couldn't imagine paying $150 for one (unless, maybe it were in brand new condition with original, pristine packaging and documentation). I paid $75 for mine which, given its performance and sonics, is about right, I'd say.

DSCN6032 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

mdhardy is better placed than I am to speak to the sound quality of these two tuners. At the time the CT-1010 was sold, it was second in the lineup below the CT-7000; I was sloppy in my wording. The 1010 brochure describes it as "the spin-off from our CT-7000 development program." The CT-1010 has been trading well over $100 on Ebay. Below are front-panel images of the T1 and T2.

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10007/Yamaha CT-1010 Brochure.PDF
T-1T-2un.jpg

It seems as though good digital tuners are available cheaper than comparable sounding analog tuners - but they don't look nearly as cool. I've owned the T80 mentioned above & it's underrated price-wise. I also have a B&K TS108 that is well regarded at fmtunerinfo and wasn't terribly expensive.

I've never tried one, but judging from the comments I've read about it a Sony ST-J75 is supposed to be an excellent digital tuner on the cheap:

ST-J75.JPG

The image is taken from the Tuner Information Center.

Hey
Some of the Denon fly under the radar. Check out that fmtunerinfo site mentioned above. Good hunting. Eric

I have a stock Sony XDR-F1HD and it is a fine tuner as is but when you consider the old retail price 100.00 dollars it is a steal

Mods put it in the stratosphere I'm told

However :) with today's auction prices some very fine analog tuners can be had

However :) with today's auction prices some very fine analog tuners can be had
Exactly!
I paid $1350 for my Magnum Dynalab MD90 in the early 2000's.
I thought about selling it a few years ago because it wasn't getting much use, but when I saw what they were fetching used (like $250) I decided to hold on to it. Very glad I did because there are some fine stations around here and it sounds better than anything streamed. I like the analog tuning, multipath, signal strength and center tune meters as well as the bandwidth and stereo/mono switches. To say that it's a well made unit is an understatement.
Many times this summer I saw the tuner it replaced (FT101A) for sale on "that auction site" in perfect working order for well under $500.
If I was looking for another tuner...it would be a used Magnum Dynalab.

Last edited:
Here's a pitch for the lower end of the food chain:
I see digital tuners all the time in thrift stores for $5 or less.
I keep one around for troubleshooting.
I have had several and they all have tended to work well.
Pick one up for pocket change and then take your time looking for something better.

I found a Technics ST-7300 a few weeks back for $15 and I really like it.
It is not high-end gear, but it looks and sounds great, is in a good state of tune, and it is plenty sensitive for normal everyday use.

close-cropped.png

Ok, let's start with a few questions:
- What is your price range?
- What other gear are you matching it with aesthetically and sonically?
- What are the physical characteristics of your FM market? If you're out in the country far from stations, you want something that is sensitive. If you're in a crowded market, selectivity is more important.
- What kind of antenna are you using? A great tuner with a crappy antenna is an inefficient allocation of financial resources.

Factor in $ for an alignment and probably a recap if you're looking at anything over 30 years old.

Back
Top Bottom