Michael Jordan rookie card.

gogofast

Addicted Member
In the 90's, I was heavily into collecting sports trading cards. I was mainly into baseball cards - buying boxes and cases of premium cards such as upper deck SP series, bowman chrome, Leaf signature, and etc. Once in a while, I'd also be interested in other sports like football and even hockey, but for some reason, I was never into collecting basketball cards.

After work one day, I went into a usual store I frequent and bought some packs. While I was talking to the owner, a guy walks in with his trading card albums wanting to sell some cards. Now this was the time when the card grading/authenticating service was just kicking off. PSA was the only company, and among collectors, the idea of paying such high dollars for grading your cards was silly. I had none of my cards graded at that time - even some rare cards. The store I mentioned always had a PSA "10" graded Jordan rookie card in the display case, but no one ever bought it since it was a bit above market value....but still just a few hundred bucks price tag for the rookie card.

Anyways, this guy brings in 5 total Jordan rookie cards with 3 graded as gem mint "10" and the other two 9's. He wanted $350 for each card if I remember correctly. Whatever the exact asking price was, I remember thinking that it was unreasonably high. The store owner said since he already had a "10" graded card that didn't sell for months, he asked me if I wanted to buy them. I said that I wasn't into basketball cards.

I haven't been collecting since the 90's. Yesterday, I had a chance to go through my baseball card collection and check current prices for fun. While doing that, I was shocked to find out how much the Jordan rookie cards are fetching these days.......$100,000 for a PSA gem mint graded card....which I have none. I actually could retire now only if I had bought those cards.

Untitled.jpg

If I woulda' bought Wal-Mart stock in the '80s ...

I have a Ricky Henderson rookie card I've hung onto for all these years hoping it would shoot back up some day ...

I just cleaned out my folks house and ran across my old baseball cards. I had every card from Topps for quite a few years, late 60's to early 70's. I remember having 3 Reggie Jackson rookie cards.

In the 90's, I was heavily into collecting sports trading cards. I was mainly into baseball cards - buying boxes and cases of premium cards such as upper deck SP series, bowman chrome, Leaf signature, and etc. Once in a while, I'd also be interested in other sports like football and even hockey, but for some reason, I was never into collecting basketball cards.

After work one day, I went into a usual store I frequent and bought some packs. While I was talking to the owner, a guy walks in with his trading card albums wanting to sell some cards. Now this was the time when the card grading/authenticating service was just kicking off. PSA was the only company, and among collectors, the idea of paying such high dollars for grading your cards was silly. I had none of my cards graded at that time - even some rare cards. The store I mentioned always had a PSA "10" graded Jordan rookie card in the display case, but no one ever bought it since it was a bit above market value....but still just a few hundred bucks price tag for the rookie card.

Anyways, this guy brings in 5 total Jordan rookie cards with 3 graded as gem mint "10" and the other two 9's. He wanted $350 for each card if I remember correctly. Whatever the exact asking price was, I remember thinking that it was unreasonably high. The store owner said since he already had a "10" graded card that didn't sell for months, he asked me if I wanted to buy them. I said that I wasn't into basketball cards.

I haven't been collecting since the 90's. Yesterday, I had a chance to go through my baseball card collection and check current prices for fun. While doing that, I was shocked to find out how much the Jordan rookie cards are fetching these days.......$100,000 for a PSA gem mint graded card....which I have none. I actually could retire now only if I had bought those cards.

View attachment 992125

My mom owned an antique mall back in the nineties. One of the dealers had a Michael Jordan rookie card (Topps?) for around $500.00, maybe a little less. I'll always regret not buying it. But that was too much for me back then. It is one card they didn't produce a ton of, hence the incredible value.

S.J.

While still in school in the early 80s, I really wanted a Cindy Sherman photo. It was $1000. Lots of money back then for a college kid. Her photos are now $1,500,000-$4,000,000 and those prices are from 5-10 years ago. :(

My son has all the Bash Brothers - Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco - cards you would ever want. And no one wants them now...

My son has all the Bash Brothers - Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco - cards you would ever want. And no one wants them now...
Yeah......I remember when the McGwire rookie cards were all the rages. I have some Alex Rodriguez SP rookie cards and they aren't that hot anymore either.....

While still in school in the early 80s, I really wanted a Cindy Sherman photo. It was $1000. Lots of money back then for a college kid. Her photos are now $1,500,000-$4,000,000 and those prices are from 5-10 years ago. :(
That makes it much easier to take my missed opportunity.... thanks. :)

I think I bought them in the PX in Berlin, but when I was a kid and came to the States I had Topps rookie cards for Chamberlain, Russell, and Dr. J. I've never seen cards like that, there were normal width, but twice as long (usually in lay up poses). Not sure whatever happened to them and most likely not in GM 10 condition.

Yeah......I remember when the McGwire rookie cards were all the rages. I have some Alex Rodriguez SP rookie cards and they aren't that hot anymore either.....

That makes it much easier to take my missed opportunity.... thanks. :)
Yeah, missed opportunities. Like that cute red-headed girl back in school... :)

My friend Richard always had an eye for investments. Around 1987, he bought $10,000 worth of MicroSoft stock, which eventually rolled into several million dollars....

Back
Top Bottom