Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Have you investigated the amp, connectors etc.
What you describe sounds like ground loss somewhere.

A little - the noise is present whether or not the turntable motor is plugged into the wall. The noise is also present regardless of which Phono input it is connected to (McIntosh C24 has 2 phono inputs). My Luxman and AR-XA do not produce the sound when they are plugged into either Phono input. And the noise gets louder with more volume, and also creates a very loud thump when the C24's input switch is turned to whichever Phono input it's connected to. The other turntables do not produce such a thump. If I remember correctly that's all the testing I've done thus far, seems to me like that is good enough to isolate the issue to the XD's tone arm wiring, but any input is appreciated ....

I may test continuity in the ground wire tonight, and perhaps re-strip the ground wire and solder the spade to it tonight, to be sure it's a good connection.

Sounds like you have partially isolated the problem with bad (cartridge area) connection or loss of ground between the arm/cartridge and the amp.

Solved by jiggling the tone arm harness at the base of the tone arm. It had just worked itself a little loose.

Hi everyone i recently moved to a new apartment and i misplaced my record stabilizer aka weight it was a rek o kut and i was looking a a j a michell clamp which is different has anyone else had experience with these or similar record weights my table has a Sumiko FT3 arm and a audioquest sorbothaine matRek-O-Kut Disc Stabilizer Clamp [large view].jpg JA Michell Record Clamp [large view].jpg

Attachments

• 20170826_160726.jpg
    20170826_160726.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170826_160758.jpg
    20170826_160758.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 35
Hi everyone i recently moved to a new apartment and i misplaced my record stabilizer aka weight it was a rek o kut and i was looking a a j a michell clamp which is different has anyone else had experience with these or similar record weights my table has a Sumiko FT3 arm and a audioquest sorbothaine matView attachment 993551 View attachment 993552

a clamp might be OK, but certainly not a weght on the AR. The AQ mat probably has the suspension collapsed as it is

What do you guys think about a AR XA for 300$? It's in pretty good condition
There's a lot of variables there, has the owner refurbished the table? If it has been then $300 may be fair, however if there's no background it's really hard to say. I think @marcmorin can give you some good things to look out for when buying an XA as he's one of the experts around here with AR tables.

Audiofreak71

Hey, thanks for the replies. here's a photo.
00L0L_hDbayJavEhr_1200x900.jpg

Certainly looks well taken care of. And the owner has good taste in amps. What cartridge does it have?

That looks nice but it's pushing the limit.
Have you heard it? If it's hum free and has a good belt I'd say go for it. But $300 would be my max.

Hi Mark thanks for the reply I just got the clamp on Friday and played a few record's and it is a improvement over my previous record weight and no strain on the suspension I can here a difference in the Soundstage

Hey you guys, I just recently bought this Xa at my local vinyl shop. I fell in love with the sound instantly, I mounted my empire es 5000 lt cartridge. It seems to play well. that is a work in progress and am seeking any help I can get too get this awesome table up to spec I was wondering what you guys thought. And there was dampening added to the whole underside of the table, is this even necessary? And @marcmorin any ideas on how to get this table up to snuff? I know you're the AR guru. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• received_10210796932301575.jpeg
    received_10210796932301575.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 7952.jpeg
    7952.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 144
Hey you guys, I just recently bought this Xa at my local vinyl shop. I fell in love with the sound instantly, I mounted my empire es 5000 lt cartridge. It seems to play well. that is a work in progress and am seeking any help I can get too get this awesome table up to spec I was wondering what you guys thought. And there was dampening added to the whole underside of the table, is this even necessary? And @marcmorin any ideas on how to get this table up to snuff? I know you're the AR guru. Any help is greatly appreciated.
My first order of business would be getting all that crap off the subchassis. The springs are already at their limits, when new, of supporting the mass of the suspended system.

My first order of business would be getting all that crap off the subchassis. The springs are already at their limits, when new, of supporting the mass of the suspended system.
:rant: this stuff is like tar almost..trying to get it off with a razor blade and pulling haha, gonna be a little while.

The Dynamat would work if the springs were a stiffer rate, as Marc said, the added mass needs to be addressed .

I need to get one of my AR's to Marc for his upgrades.

And now would be an ideal time as I got a Sota Sapphire to use while the AR is being hot rodded.

Nashou

Back
Top Bottom