Tube Dreamer Awakened: Fisher X-100 3

Man in Cave

Live in music and let music live in you.
Subscriber
008.JPG 001.JPG 004.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG

So, I'm the proud owner of my first "working" stereo tube amp. My gosh it's been a long time coming since I got back into this way of listening to music. 2011. The stereo happens to be Fisher, an X-100 3, I believe. Never owned any Fisher gear before, 'til now. I auditioned it this afternoon for nearly an hour with my own Techincs SL-Q2 and Jamo Cornet 40 IV two-ways, and grateful to be able to do so. I know it's rare to be able to audition gear in such a way. It's from a seasoned citizen rummage, very nice fella named Jim. He bought it new back in '63/'64. Amazing... Had it all this time. But it hasn't been used for awhile. Unfortunately the manuals are not found yet. I hope so. He says he has them somewhere. We'll see.

He had it checked over about a month ago, he said. An engineer friend of his who tested it and found tubes and capacitors within tolerance. Absolutely zero hum. He explained the alternate white power light. The original failed and he replaced it with the white light, which actually looks good. it has a custom case made from cherry wood stained as walnut. Not original. I auditioned it and we agreed on a price and I am now listening to it in the cave. I have it connected to Crites modified Belle Klipsch. These speakers are everything I hoped they'd be using tubes. Wow! Anyway, I just wanted to share my good cess. I don't know much about Fisher, other than it has a very good reputation on these old amps. I will perform a meticulous cleaning as soon as I am able. Tonight, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Thanks for reading.

S.J.

Congrats. I really enjoy my X-100-3. Looks like some Telefunken 7189 tubes also. Lots of great threads here on that model. Enjoy and thanks for sharing your find.

Congratulations. Very Nice Example of a early to mid 60's FISHER integrated amp, with the new style knobs. This one is one I've not run across in the X-100 types. This has the '62 and on type faceplate. Can you take it out of the cabinet and take a couple of pictures, one specifically of the Model/serial # and the voltage info. According to the Service manual drawing on the front page, the switches are rockers mounted sideways not slide switches, and the 5 smaller knobs (pots and selectors) are all grouped together. The back RCA's and the lack of a tube Rectumfrier and Filter cap layout say X-100-3/X-44/KX-90
If the hole on the faceplate was not drilled out for the replacement lamp, You could retrofit it back to a #47 lamp/socket and a jewel glued into the hole.

GAWD! Another acronym for old fart! But I DO like it. Instead of using "Senior citizen" which I equate with my 85 year old Father, I'm now "Seasoned" @ 62. Think of all the different combination of spices that can be used instead of Deodorant! But put on Italian spices and go to France, and you'll have a quick and Short date with Mr. Guillotine! LOL. Go to Scotland and you get a haggis to hang around your neck. Mexico, and the jalapeno's will keep vampires away. And in the U.S. there are so many BBQ dry rub's you could have a different one for each day of the month and have leftovers for the next month.

Congratulations. Very Nice Example of a early to mid 60's FISHER integrated amp, with the new style knobs. This one is one I've not run across in the X-100 types. This has the '62 and on type faceplate. Can you take it out of the cabinet and take a couple of pictures, one specifically of the Model/serial # and the voltage info. According to the Service manual drawing on the front page, the switches are rockers mounted sideways not slide switches, and the 5 smaller knobs (pots and selectors) are all grouped together. The back RCA's and the lack of a tube Rectumfrier and Filter cap layout say X-100-3/X-44/KX-90
If the hole on the faceplate was not drilled out for the replacement lamp, You could retrofit it back to a #47 lamp/socket and a jewel glued into the hole.

GAWD! Another acronym for old fart! But I DO like it. Instead of using "Senior citizen" which I equate with my 85 year old Father, I'm now "Seasoned" @ 62. Think of all the different combination of spices that can be used instead of Deodorant! But put on Italian spices and go to France, and you'll have a quick and Short date with Mr. Guillotine! LOL. Go to Scotland and you get a haggis to hang around your neck. Mexico, and the jalapeno's will keep vampires away. And in the U.S. there are so many BBQ dry rub's you could have a different one for each day of the month and have leftovers for the next month.

Enjoyed your post. Thanks for the info. I will remove it from the case sometime soon, as it does need a meticulous cleaning. It's in very respectable condition and the front plate and knobs will clean up nicely. Pots are a little crackly and I can smell dust as the amp heats up. It does have the original 7189 tubes. For now I'm simply stunned at the difference my Belles sound through this unit. I just listened to my only pressing of Time Out, a two-eye reissue, and the separation of the instruments and decay were what I've been hoping for. This takes me to a whole 'nother level to my listening experience.

Addendum: Unfortunately I can't take credit for the "seasoned citizen" metaphor, but it's my favorite.

S.J.

Last edited:
Congratulations. I have the very closely related KX90 on my Cornwall IIs. I wonder how may different brands of output tube they used? Mine had Fisher branded Mullards. Would love the roll in those Telefunkens.....

Congrats on a very nice 1st Fisher! Now it won't be long and you'll start thinking on number 2....watch and see... :) Al

Thanks. Yeah...I know it never really ends. It pays to ask at rummage/garage sales. I'll always ask if I sense the possibility they have old stereo gear. It's rare they do, but every once in a blue moon I'm pleasantly surprised. But this is a first at finding a stereo tube amp in working condition. Here's a couple photos after a first cleaning of the face plate and knobs. I'm quite pleased at the initial results.028.JPG 044.JPG

S.J

Congrats on a very nice 1st Fisher! Now it won't be long and you'll start thinking on number 2....watch and see... :) Al

I'm up to 23 or so and still looking!?!??!!! (That includes consoles, Tube and S.S. Receivers, Tube tuners, 1 separate Record Changer, and the X-101-B.)
I must be a glutton for punishment, Huh AL???

Congratulations. I have the very closely related KX90 on my Cornwall IIs. I wonder how may different brands of output tube they used? Mine had Fisher branded Mullards. Would love the roll in those Telefunkens.....

Thanks. I'm very excited. It's nice to be in such AK company. I don't know a lot about tubes, but Jim the seller told me these are the original 7189 tubes. He said look at how evenly lighted the tubes are. I found that interesting. He said if this is the case the outputs are working as they should. I haven't removed the cover to check out all the others underneath.

S.J.

I'm up to 23 or so and still looking!?!??!!! (That includes consoles, Tube and S.S. Receivers, Tube tuners, 1 separate Record Changer, and the X-101-B.)

I guess. Wow! I have a few pieces myself but nothing like this Fisher.

S.J.

S.J.;
I don't think you will ever regret this purchase. Congratulations, you have a really handsome amplifier there. It will give you years of enjoyment!
Joe

S.J. I'm new to the Fisher world also but am well down the rabbit hole already. Congrats on your first piece and hold on.:yikes:

Marc

S.J.;
I don't think you will ever regret this purchase. Congratulations, you have a really handsome amplifier there. It will give you years of enjoyment!
Joe

Thanks, Akers. I have to remove the case so I can have a look under the hood, so to speak.

S.J.

Thats quite a haul on consoles Larry! I only own 3 Fishers and am good for now on them. (I say that now anyways) .... Reason I say that is it's hard to find one with all the controls in good shape. I'm a stickler for even balance and volume tracking as well as slop in the shaft on the control itself. Even the 800C control I got from Mark Opatt is barely acceptable. I did pick up a couple Mac pieces and 2 SET amps though....:naughty: Al

Larry when you get bored of your things let me know to visit you !! :p

I can't hear the difference honnestly: I don't hear a lot over 13k so maybe I'm not the best to judge.

I was just curious. I wouldn't know the difference anyway because I never heard a Stereo tube amp 'til now. But I do know this: My Belles have never sounded better, even with my MC2100/C26 combo.

S.J.

013.JPG 005.JPG 017.JPG 024.JPG 030.JPG 028.JPG 022.JPG

I removed the cover for the experts to see if anything looks different from original or stuff I should be concerned over. I can tell you all it is powered up for listening only the last four days with no issues, although sometimes the right channel appears quieter. It could be my hearing so I adjust the balance a bit to compensate. It makes Jazz sound the best it ever sounded to my ears. As usual some albums are dialed in better than others, so it goes... Thanks for looking.

S.J.

Back
Top Bottom