What Artist passing affected you the most

The recent passing of Glen Campbell was sad. Many don't know his prowess as a studio musician well before making music of his own. Probably in the top 10 guitarists of all time (at least IMO). He was one of the most respected musicians and entertainers that spanned decades and genres.

Although, many will not know of him, but I was saddened when I heard about Glen Cornick's (original Jethro Tull Bassist) passing. Not the greatest bassist,maybe, but he was very entertaining and added a lot to their live shows. I've seen some interviews with him thru the years, and he seemed to be a great guy, and he never (seemed) bitter about the way he was fired from the band. Although, I was still a fan of the band's music thru the years, their concerts were not the same for me, after he left.

I have to agree with many of the post here as I was a fan of many of the artists and their work.

What does stand out for me personally is the passing of Keith Knudsen and Michael Hossack of the Doobie Bros in the last decade or so.
I've loved their tunes since the beginning in the 70s and these two drummers inspired me to want to play drums due to their ability to sound fantastic together
(dual Drum Kits).
As they were growing up, their experiences playing in marching bands in their younger years pre-Doobs, gave them the ability to play together flawlessly once onstage with the Doobs of those days.
They never ever overplayed the other instruments and vocals. Their drums were always musically tuned and sounded great in concert and on albums.
Nowadays, the Doobs sounds are almost painful to listen to live as ,for me, their drumming seems to drown out guitars,vocals so much with the current guys and
sound guys having the Bass drums so Subwoofery sounding that it hurt my ears. Maybe it's just me, but I won't be attending anymore of their live concerts in the future. I wonder where John Hartman ended up?

Apologies for the whine :)

Last edited:
Isao Tomita passed relatively recently. He certainly knew that we who have rear channels were in his target audience. He even released discrete four channel CD4 LPs. Try any of his records using DPL and adjust the rear channels to near inaudibility on most of the sound. When there is rear channel content, it will be plainly obvious.

No way to come up with a 'most'. I've no particular reason or order for this (highly incomplete) list. Each meant a lot to me musically. I was a huge admirer of each to the point that I feel connections with them though I only saw about half of them perform. Phil Lynott, Randy Rhoads, Jimmy Bain, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Gary Moore, Zappa, Eddie Hazel, Ronnie Dio, Glen Buxton, Dave Peverett, Philip Taylor, and not two months later, Lemmy, Johnny Cash, Rod Price, Alvin Lee, Jack Bruce, Jon Lord, Lonnie Mack, Chris Squire, John Entwistle, Cozy Powell, Darrell Sweet.

Randy Rhoads... would've been my first entry here. 2nd concert I ever saw, Ozzy and his band. So much talent on those 2 albums. First concert I saw was Sabbath with Dio, who also died too young. I wonder about the really hardcore vocalists, guys like Dio, Cobain, Kevin DuBrow (Quiet Riot)... how much damage their bodies take when they give it their all.

Edit: and now that I think about it, Motorhead opened for that Ozzy show. RIP Lemmy too.

I didn't get this news as it happened but reading recently about her capture and murder by the Khmer Rouge affected me more than what I typically experience when learning that some septuagenarian rock guy passed away. Her death was literally part of the death of an entire culture.

These bummed me out at the time:

artist, year died, age:

Otis Redding, 1967, 26
Jimi Hendrix, 1970, 27
Janis Joplin, 1970, 27
Jim Morrison, 1971, 27
Duane Allman, 1971, 24
Berry Oakley, 1972, 24
Elvis Presley, 1977, 42
John Lennon, 1980, 40
John Belushi, 1982, 33
Buddy Rich, 1987, 69
Jaco Pastorius, 1987, 35
Miles Davis, 1991, 65
Jerry Garcia, 1995, 53
John Denver, 1997, 53
George Harrison, 2001, 58
Ray Charles, 2004, 73
Dan Fogelberg, 2007, 56
Joe Cocker, 2014, 70
Glenn Frey, 2016, 67

There were many others which saddened me upon hearing. Overall, the younger they went, the higher the shock. Despite that, most shocking to me was John Lennon due to the unfortunate circumstances of his death. I left off some who were older when they died, and had long, successful careers, and saddened me in a "legend dies" way, but wasn't so unexpected due to age and health (eg, B B King, Johnny Cash, & others).

The two that hit me were Dean Martin and Roy Acuff.

I can remember my mother playing Dino's stuff when I was a kid. When I hit teenage years and had spending money, I started seeking out his stuff. He could do anything from pop to country. I can remember commenting to my mother that it was like an old friend passing.

Roy Acuff was a direct link back to the old time country music and bridged the gap between the first Jimmie Rodgers recordings and Hank Williams taking country music by storm. He was a personal friend of Hank's, and he tried to steer Hank right. He's long forgotten now as people think of country being this bro-country nonsense, but he'll always be the co-king of Country Music (Hank is also the king). If Roy's music doesn't move you, you should check your pulse!

On another note, speaking of Hank, his passing hit my dad hard. My dad was a kid of 6 years old when Hank died. He said when he heard it on the radio that he laid down and cried.

"
I didn't get this news as it happened but reading recently about her capture and murder by the Khmer Rouge affected me more than what I typically experience when learning that some septuagenarian rock guy passed away. Her death was literally part of the death of an entire culture.

Damn Loop, yesterday I couldn't even spell septuagenarian, now I find out that I are one.

Seriously though, your post led me to do a search, and I found this: http://www.worldmusic.net/store/item/RGNET1319/
Definitely worth a listen, if you like 60's psychedelia.

Back
Top Bottom