Suddenly getting constant script errors.

xero-D-hero

Gotta be a new ad (again),all I can say is it's making AK unuseable.
Been thru something similar a while back,honestly it's getting old.
There's no call for overly aggressive scripts log-jamming the works.

Before anyone trys to tell me do this,that,or the other,dont bother.
Not gonna change OS ~ browser ~ yadda ~ yadda ~ yadda.
So there's absolutely no need to engage in THAT conversation here.
This is just an FYI for the forum operators,,,maybe as a point of reference for when the problem started...

The problem is on their end,,,not mine...
I know how to fix it if I care to.
It just ends up making AK significantly less functional.

FWIW :thumbsdown:

Bret P.

Last edited:
Again,I dont need any advice or tips,I know what's going on and I know exactly how one can deal with issues like this.
Point is I should'nt have to add any third party software just to visit AK,it's as simple as that.
To be 100% honest here I dont really mind the ads just so long as they behave themselves.
But some ads just take things too far.

The site was fine yesterday,last week,last month,etc. etc. so it's not something the site NEEDS to function properly.
The other ads were'nt causing any problems,so it's pretty obvious that it's gotta be a NEW AD that's to blame (a new banner ad to be precise).

If AK wants $$$ from ads & not force members into using an ad blocker to thwart such it would be wise for them to ensure that their advertisers ads behave.
Besides,ad blocking programs are largely why aggressive scripts even exist,so to some of us they're part of the problem,not the solution to it.

AGAIN,PLEASE DONT BOTHER POSTING HERE WITH ADVICE FOR ME,IT'S NOT NEEDED -NOR- WANTED,MMMKAY.

This thread is intended so others having the same issue can chime in and let the board purveyors know such.
It would be nice if it could stay that way...

Sigh...

Bret P.

Last edited:
Hi Bret, I am sorry you are having difficulties with viewing AK, but your post doesn't say what the precise issue is, and there is no information about your browser version, OS and so on. So nobody considering posting will be able to match their issue & any response with yours!

I have never had any issue viewing AK, or with any Ad content, or with 'scripts' I use Chrome (latest release), over Windows 7 64bit, and have installed the 'Ghostery' add-in - everything else is totally standard. You seem to be the only one having 'your' issue whatever it is. :)

Last edited:
Hi Bret, I am sorry you are having difficulties with viewing AK, but your post doesn't say what the precise issue is, and there is no information about your browser version, OS and so on. So nobody considering posting will be able to match their issue & any response with yours!

I have never had any issue viewing AK, or with any Ad content, or with 'scripts' I use Chrome (latest release), over Windows 7 64bit, and have installed the 'Ghostery' add-in - everything else is totally standard. You seem to be the only one having 'your' issue whatever it is. :)
I did'nt list any of that info as it just leads threads like this down a wayward path that does'nt result in any meaningful resolution.
There are just too many possible combinations of those to deduce any sort of "common configuration" to blame for the problem.

Besides,the problem is'nt my OS,my browser nor ANYTHING on my end,it's all on AK's end.

---BTDT---

I'll make this as clear as I can.
I'm not asking anyone to try and solve the problem,not for me,not for anyone else.
I'm not asking anyone to try and replicate the problem for any reason.
I dont expect anyone to do anything here except post if they're having any script related problems.

Anybody having the precise issue is gonna know it right away,trust me on this folks.

Also,I'm fairly confident that I wont be the only one having this problem.
Thing is any less computer savvy folks having the same problem are going to have a VERY hard time posting.
As a result of that I really was'nt expecting to hear any complaints this soon.
So no one else should expect a ton of comments right away either.

FWIW ghostery is somewhat similar to many ad blockers.

Quote:
Ghostery enables its users to easily detect and control JavaScript "tags" and "trackers". JavaScript bugs and beacons are embedded in many web pages, largely invisible to the user, allowing collection of the user's browsing habits via HTTP cookies, as well as participating in more sophisticated forms of tracking such as canvas fingerprinting. (from wikipedia)

I dont need another program to do that,I just kill (java) scripts and the site works perfectly fine.
But the catch is in doing so I lose the advanced features of this site,posting photos,advanced text editing,that sorta stuff.
Ads are gone though,so one advertiser's ad is ruining this sites entire advertising effort by employing an overly aggressive ad script.

FWIW I know what's going on,I've been down this road with AK before,sure the "glitch" was a bit different,but the root cause is basically the same.
And like I said I can make changes on my end to allow a compromise of sorts so I can still post here,but it's a PITA none-the-less.

As Yogi always said,I'm smarter than the average bear,so I was'nt looking to try and figure anything out here.

I was just giving a "heads-up" of sorts.

Bret P.

Last edited:
So this is just a rant fest? Obviously you don't want help. I work in high end IT support and you are just coming off as whining. If you say you can fix it yourself, have at it.
Nope it's not a rant fest,and I'm not whining @ all.

But you're absolutely right about one thing,,,I dont need your help...
What you've completely failed to see here is that I was TRYING to help others.
But I was hoping to do so w/o taking this thread down the very path it seems to be going.
So yeah FYI your post is EXACTLY what I was trying to avoid.

Here is where I remind folks AK's moto is "all audio and NO ATTITUDE".
I've been perfectly clear about why I've posted this thread,so there's absolutely no reason for anyone to become hostile.
It's a pretty simple concept folks,if you're not having any problems,then you dont really have any reason to post here.

IME it's often the IT types that are the worst about this sorta thing,,,dunno why that is though???
If anyone here needs IT help,,,it's AK,,,not me...

FWIW I said I can "fix" things on my end enough to still be able to post,though in doing so I lose some functions of this site.
But keep in mind the fact that others here @ AK may not be computer savvy enough to do so.
Thus they would need AK to fix the problem on their end to resolve the root cause of the issue so "band-aids" are'nt needed.

The thing is if everyone just sticks their head in the sand and completely ignores any given problem it will never get fixed.
And yeah sure it may be a VERY isolated problem only affecting a handful of members like myself.
But that's the whole purpose of this thread,to let others chime in if they are also having similar problems.
If no one else is having problems,then the thread slowly dies off and it's all no big deal.
But should others chime in with problems,then maybe some sorta action is in order.

Anyhow...

If anyone is here just to unload some pent-up frustration on me,dont bother you're just wasting both our time.

Shrugs shoulders...

Bret P.

Last edited:
Hmmm,,,odd there was another brief post between my first post #1 and post #2...
But that might be why some are misreading the threads tone now.

Oh well.

Bret P.

Last edited:
Good luck with whatever problem you're having.
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure what the problem is.
I should mention that something similar happened a while back,there's even an old thread here about that deal.
Though the symptom itself was different,the root cause is likely the same (script error),as is the "fix" I use to work around it.

Last time the problem eventually worked itself out.
I'm guessing the offending ad expired or was somehow dealt with,and after that all was fine for a good while.
The same thing may very well happen this time.
So if I seem to be a bit curt here it's just because I did'nt wanna go thru all that same discussion here yet again.

Go figure huh.

I dont mind random chatter in this thread,that's all fine & dandy with me.

Anyhow thanks again for understanding.

Bret P.

Last edited:
Not AK's ads. per se, but rather it's the GoogleAds, and we have no control over their content.
Ah,I see.
As the great detective Hercule Poirot would say "the plot thickens".

Yeah not a huge fan of Google ads either,,,pushy lil' buggers...
Seems to only happen to me here though,which kinda sucks.

Guess internet advertising is bound to have some unintended casualties.

Bret P.

Well I had the same problem and nothing was done about it, others have had it too. I gave up and down loaded ghostery and it helped a lot. So I do understand the frustration, but really computers and the constant change and computability from one thing or another is and alway trying to have things sync suxs anyway.

Lately I'v been having a lot of trouble on Googles search pages not loading and being extremely slow.

PS: on a side note, if everyone on this site subscribed, funds would not be needed from any advertisement to support it. I do all I can to help and because some don't, I have to deal with the issues you want to complain about.

Last edited:
PS: on a side note, if everyone on this site subscribed, funds would not be needed from any advertisement to support it.
I totally agree with this,and freely admit that I'm guilty as charged.
In my defense $$$ is SUPER tight for me right now,so it's always a battle where any extra cash goes.
Does'nt help that I have a pooch w/health isseues whose Rx cost over $200.00 a month either.
But I digress on that deal,as you point out that would only work if everyone else did so as well.

That's sorta what happened over @ photobucket,ads were'nt covering things so they turned to the sites users for funding.
One could argue adblockers are to blame for that paradigm shift,no?

Anyhow if AK shifted to a membership supported platform we'd likely all be complaining about the ever increasing subscription fees...
I dont envy the operators of any forum like AK,it's definitely a tough go no doubt.

Like I said,I dont mind the ads if they'd just behave themselves.

Bret P.

I totally agree with this,and freely admit that I'm guilty as charged.
In my defense $$$ is SUPER tight for me right now,so it's always a battle where any extra cash goes.
Does'nt help that I have a pooch w/health isseues whose Rx cost over $200.00 a month either.
But I digress on that deal,as you point out that would only work if everyone else did so as well.

That's sorta what happened over @ photobucket,ads were'nt covering things so they turned to the sites users for funding.
One could argue adblockers are to blame for that paradigm shift,no?

Anyhow if AK shifted to membership supported platform we'd likely all be complaining about the ever increasing subscriptions fees...
I dont envy the operators of any forum like AK,it's definitely a tough go no doubt.

Oh I fully understand that and really that's why the site owners always want to look to other options so everyone can participate. I'v even started threads to try and get other members to help one and other out with a subscription if they can afford it, it generated new subs. This year I have a lot less money also as in February my rent went up $650 more a month, my pay is only based on the work I can complete, so I stay pretty stagnant on earnings, so that hit me hard and less to use elsewhere.

Like I said,I dont mind the ads if they'd just behave themselves.

Yeah I don't mind them either, but when they stop us from doing what we are on the computer for it's not right. I have a pretty high speed computer and a lot of these adds negate the money spent, it's a joke. Look at it this way, we wouldn't put up with our mail box blocking our walk way into our home till we went though all the mail fist. Same thing, it's being forced on us and it really isn't right. I'm about ready to delete anything google because they want to force their opinion and target their users, that company need to be cut up to small businesses. It's way to big and out of control.

I hear ya' I just went and read some of your posts in other threads in this forum.
So it appears that this is an ongoing problem that comes & goes on a per member basis.

I looked for threads about this before posting this one but I guess I must've missed the others or glossed over them somehow.

Maybe I'll just "hunker down" for a while and let this all run it's course.
Which is pretty much what I did last time and it worked ok for a while.

REALLY love the mailbox analogy,LOL.
Thanks for that,I really needed a good chuckle.

Bret P.

I hear ya' I just went and read some of your posts in other threads in this forum.
So it appears that this is an ongoing problem that comes & goes on a per member basis.

I looked for threads about this before posting this one but I guess I must've missed the others or glossed over them somehow.

Maybe I'll just "hunker down" for a while and let this all run it's course.
Which is pretty much what I did last time and it worked ok for a while.

REALLY love the mailbox analogy,LOL.
Thanks for that,I really needed a good chuckle.

Bret P.
Oh another thing I don't do anymore, dumb post with just a link, or members posting links to stores and so forth. I don't follow hot links anymore, all it does is help google target you more and profile you.

PS: on a side note, if everyone on this site subscribed, funds would not be needed from any advertisement to support it. I do all I can to help and because some don't, I have to deal with the issues you want to complain about.
this is why i subscribe, and why i don't feel the need to turn off my adblocker for AK. at the risk of offering IT advice, adblock, is available for free in the windows store and the chrome extension library, and gobbles up lots of harmful and time-wasting ads and links to pages that range from 'waste of time' to 'malicious den of malignant evil'. I sure as shit don't want to pickup a cryptolocker infection because i sat on my mouse and clicked the wrong banner ad.

as well, i will note that your AK subscription costs less than any part of most anyone's sound system, including cables, less than a single new LP, and most days for me at least, less than a trip to the used record store. easiest decision to make, there's so much good advice to be had here, bargains in bartertown, and the sexy banner on your avatar.

if it were up to me, i would give users a free 6-month subscription, and then force them to pay, rather than host ads....that way the free-loaders can still hang around, if they want to create a new identity every 6-months.

this is why i subscribe, and why i don't feel the need to turn off my adblocker for AK. at the risk of offering IT advice, adblock, is available for free in the windows store and the chrome extension library, and gobbles up lots of harmful and time-wasting ads and links to pages that range from 'waste of time' to 'malicious den of malignant evil'. I sure as shit don't want to pickup a cryptolocker infection because i sat on my mouse and clicked the wrong banner ad.

as well, i will note that your AK subscription costs less than any part of most anyone's sound system, including cables, less than a single new LP, and most days for me at least, less than a trip to the used record store. easiest decision to make, there's so much good advice to be had here, bargains in bartertown, and the sexy banner on your avatar.

if it were up to me, i would give users a free 6-month subscription, and then force them to pay, rather than host ads....that way the free-loaders can still hang around, if they want to create a new identity every 6-months.
Yeah but I do know there are lots of regular members that really don't have much extra to spend on sites. They are not the ones posting score threads daily though or piling up equipment in their garage. But there are members that share a lot here never buying anything, and it's not because they don't want to...

Anyway we're getting onto another rant that's off topic from the original rant>>>:D

Yeah but I do know there are lots of regular members that really don't have much extra to spend on sites. They are not the ones posting score threads daily though or piling up equipment in their garage. But there are members that share a lot here never buying anything, and it's not because they don't want to...

Anyway we're getting onto another rant that's off topic from the original rant>>>:D
true, but if i were trying to acquire a hoard of gear or liquidate one, i would think bartertown would be the place to do it....i mean unless one wants to get stacks and stacks of ill-treated entry-level gear. perhaps i am biased because i went to that one SMACdown at Grumpy's, and Mrs. Grumpy did so much baking it was an affront to the lord......

at any rate, my point is that people should all subscribe and there should be no ads. i get that people don't have a lot to donate, but we're talking like $2 per month here. I spend way more than that on coffee, daily. don't tell me you don't have $2 for an awesome resource like AK. maybe if the subscription was a $2/month subscription instead of the $25 straight up, it'd be more popular.

Everybody's good enough for some change

Back
Top Bottom