Spinning 78's through an RIAA applied EQ Curve- Adjustments?

Even the 78 RPM speed (78.26 to be exact) wasn't standardized until the late 1920s, IIRC. Wind-up phonographs had variable speed controls and people would just listen to the music at whatever pitch sounded correct to them. 78 RPM was chosen as an approximate average of the various speeds that had been in use (60-100 RPM) in the early days of disc phonographs.

And when playing those early acoustically-recorded discs, the EQ curve I use (in addition to the RIAA curve built into the pre-amp) is visible in the background of the video -- I boost the upper bass and midrange, and sharply cut the treble:

I have heard the original Robert Johnson 78's played at about 80-85% of their original speed, and they sound much truer to life than the collection reissues, where they remastered they at 78RPM, and his voice is much too high of a pitch.

Why? He said he's using a 3 mil 78 stylus. Exactly what he should be using. I prefer a stylus that tracks higher then 2.5g for my 78's, but other then that there is no issue.[/QUOTE

I agree. Tracking even higher is often a good idea especially on record surfaces that are not very flat. I commonly use 5 to 7 g, which an old Stanton 78 stylus can deliver. To use a non-technical term, it takes a lot of that 'swishy' sound, that 78s can produce, away.

I admit to being confused. I thought the whole point of having a "78 stylus" was that you can play 78s with it...
I think it's because there are some people afraid to play their records out of fear they will instantly inflict damage onto the grooves, or who look at their stylus, and don't listen to music.

I set up my AT120LP-USB AT95E cart (one of them) with a 78 stylus. I played back a disc last night, and to my ears, it sounded decent, certainly listenable. But, given the RIAA curve a modern day phono preamplifier applies, what tone adjustments do folks like to make to bass, treble, etc, to get it to sound more like the way it was originally listened to, without the curve applied?
^ This is the standard type response from the OP. ^

Ask for help, get lots of good advice, blow it off as either "myth", "voodoo" or overkill, then do his own thing (or whatever Youtube or Google says is better).
Thanks for the warning.

I think it's because there are some people afraid to play their records out of fear they will instantly inflict damage onto the grooves, or who look at their stylus, and don't listen to music.

I think it was more out of confusion of the type of stylus necessary to play 78's. In your case, a regular turntable, and not a Victrola is being used. You're using the correct stylus, but like it's been alluded to try a heavier tracking force. It will most likely sound better, reduce noise, and track better. If you're using the the Pfanstiehl 710-D3(the recommended one for your cartridge) max tracking force is 4g.

This of course was an orthophonic recording. I do have some older acoustic ones, that should be interesting to experiment with.
I think it was more out of confusion of the type of stylus necessary to play 78's.

No confusion, the cartridge is not correct for the cut of the records, it oscillates from side to side and not up and down.
The records designed for steel needle are shellac and iron impregnated for durability against the steel needles.
He's not spinning 50s 12 inch 78s,

No confusion, the cartridge is not correct for the cut of the records, it oscillates from side to side and not up and down.
The records designed for steel needle are shellac and iron impregnated for durability against the steel needles.
He's not spinning 50s 12 inch 78s,

It makes no difference. He can use a regular stereo cartridge with his 78 stylus and be fine. Won't hurt the records, won't hurt the stylus.

Why are you assuming that he's playing records that should only be played on a Victrola? The real danger is playing more modern 78's on a Victrola. Those will get chewed up fast.
What makes a record only playable on a Victrola (using those disposable steel needles, right?)

When did playing records turn people into ninny's? They are meant to be played, not fretted over. Do people buy cartridges and styli and go into panic mode about wear?

None of these 78s are designed for the cart and stylus you are using, let alone the rest of the equipment your running it though.

Sound is subjective, if you think it sounds good then thats fine, but you might as well start ordering more stylus for your cart.

Steel impregnated shellac....:rolleyes:
actually Iron

Why are you assuming that he's playing records that should only be played on a Victrola? The real danger is playing more modern 78's on a Victrola. Those will get chewed up fast.
Precisely my point, the records are made different, there is a reason you can't use a 50s 78 records on a player that uses steel needle. But it's ok for old orthophonic recording and acoustic ones. I rest my case as the records are made of shellac and iron to withstand the steel needle, which will put a lot of ware on a modern diamond stylus.

When are the mods finally going to show this troll the door?

Please. He asked for advice on one thing and got mostly wrong advice delivered in a condescending manner on something completely different. Who is trolling?

Precisely my point, the records are made different, there is a reason you can't use a 50s 78 records on a player that uses steel needle. But it's ok for old orthophonic recording and acoustic ones. I rest my case as the records are made of shellac and iron to withstand the steel needle, which will put a lot of ware on a modern diamond stylus.

Again, the problem is not playing the records with a modern 78 stylus. It's playing latter day 78's with a steel needle. What he's doing is fine.

Please. He asked for advice on one thing and got mostly wrong advice delivered in a condescending manner on something completely different. Who is trolling?
I kinda agree, at least for this thread. I haven't paid attention to his other stuff.

Again, the problem is not playing the records with a modern 78 stylus. It's playing latter day 78's with a steel needle. What he's doing is fine.
Do tell, again why is it ok that a steel needle will not harm (much) old orthophonic recording and acoustic ones, but will chewed 50s 78 record fast? <your avoiding this...

Until you come to the realization that a modern vinyl record wares out a modern diamond stylus. Thus playing a old orthophonic recording and acoustic one is like running the same diamond stylus over a sharpening stone because of this records make up.

Back
Top Bottom