Sansui vintage choice, help

Jabbalabba

Hi,
Ever since I heard a g8000 I wanted to own a Sansui vintage.

The following amp's is available for me to buy, but I can't hear or compare them first.
Hope someone could help me with input on these:
AU7500
AU5900
AU417
TR707a

The first 3 are tough, but I would pass by the last one on your list.
The 417 would probably be my choice.

They would all require some work however, unless already 'properly restored' the AU-417 will require the least work.

The TR707a is probably the peach of the bunch, but would require by far the most work.

Last edited:
The 5900 looks in very bad shape externally. So I decided to pass on this.
The 7500 look excellent on the outside, the plastic film on the front is still on!
The 417 look good.
Inside pictures look stock on all.
Seller says he restore old amps if needed, so it might be ok (if he's skilled).

There's also a 5050 for sale from another guy, the seller says one channel on this is sometimes a bit lower than the other.
When turning volum this corrects itself. Maybe just a cleaning issue?
The externals look very nice.

I'm not experienced in fixing amp's, so that could be a (big) issue.
Maybe I'll take water over my head to go vintage? (Want to learn to fix, but where to start?)

I also found a very nice alpha 707dr, but it is expensive... (1k $)

Seems like based on the above comments, the 417 may be the winner. It shouldn't give you much or any trouble if its already working OK.

I had a 7500 and depending on your speaker sensitivity - you may (or may not) find this noisy (hissy).

A 5900 in good condition would be my personal pic - but it all depends on what YOUR situation is of course.

Thanks for your feedback,
I realize flavor of sound is different on these amps and there are different opinions and speaker matching will differ.
If I want a smooth live music type of amp.
Emotion more important than analytic sound
Good deep bass with good rythm, not to sharp or forward in the treble (rather a touch relaxed)
Will this narrow the choice? Or they're to similar to conclude?

Should I wait for a 9090db or g series instead?

I would wait for G series, the sound is well regard as the best of the best of the best that ever was.

Easy Mo, :) receivers 'are not'/'were never', the only game in town - Receivers are available in the USA particularly, but everyone should know that integrated amplifiers like the AU-9900, AU-9500, AU-999 (modified), AU-919 and AU-X1 can be a better choice - but often more difficult to find, and can be more expensive - I wonder why? (there are others - absolutely not an exhaustive list). If you don't need a tuner get 'an integrated' - with the advent of 'Internet radio' and 'streaming' this is more than ever the case.

(dons flame suit, retreats to nuclear bunker, :D)

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guy's, appreciate it.
Tuners are unfortunately not very useful for me in the future, FM is replaced with digital dab+ by 2017 (acc codec mostly 64kbs, horrible sounding...)
9090 gets praise and look is fantastic , but it could be risky regarding Dolby board. A valid point.
Moefuzz is very correct in his wise words about what triggered the "want" feeling is what you need to get to satisfy the feeling.
The g8000, most importantly I have heard it and loved the sound of it. I know what I get.
The against is price and availability.
How will the au-7500 or alpha707dr be compared to a G8000?
Other sensui integrated who compares to the sound signature and quality of the G8000?

Last edited:
Perhaps regular maintenance or other problem yes?

I think quite truthfully - very sensitive Fostex speakers.

I've had one 6500 and two 7500s - restored them all but couldnt get rid of hiss, so flicked them on......

This is compared to sound from other Sansuis I have had - 555A, 888, 999, 9900A....

Yes I suppose big Sansui are more common in USA, but not so much where I live.

For sound, I think it would be very hard (but not impossible) to tell them apart when side to side,
Still Sansui would have been on top of it's game in the 70's
and owners ears/eyes determine which is the favourite.

Yes I agree, Both for Sansui and it's competitors, The 70's were the cream of the crop
for G and AU series.
My point is, grass is always greener with the thing you don't have (or always want to have)

I would wait for the 8000 instead of always to think 'I should have'.

-But some people are lucky and can have a nice collection and others
maybe needs just the 'right' one.

I would like to have one of each the big A AU integrated/amps, I have not to own not a single one yet.
But of Large G Receiver, I can not pass a good deal even if I must have to sacrifice
my wifes new birthday present of a bigger ironing board.:rolleyes:

Hey moe I have four AU-X1's( but one is a parts unit) and I might be into trading one for the right thing anyway.

Oh no, a used 717 also turn up for sale.
This is getting more difficult for each day.
So if the choice is:
G8000
Au717
Au7500

You'd be very lucky to get a G-8K for the price as what the 717 & 7500 go for. The 8K's go for twice as much as the rest you have mentioned.
I don't know what your budget is but if you can get in nice condition AU-717 cheap, that would be my pic. Easy to work on, parts are easy to obtain and they sound deep.

If your after a more balanced sound and something that looks like a Mona Lisa, then the 8K.

The prices are very different.
The 717 was sold in few hours, so this is not available now.
The G is very expensive.
For price the 7500 amp and tuner is 1/3 of the G.
The 9090db is about 1/2 price against the G
The G is maybe better, but price is to high for me.
The d9 I'm sceptical, since liquid cooling and old age could be a problem?
At the moment I'm leaning for the 7500 set or the 9090db.
On the plus side for the 7500 is price, newly serviced, looks in very good shape and a bit warmer sound since it's a earlier 70 model?Maybe to warm? But I haven't heard it myself so this is uncertain.
I'm waiting for reply on the 9090db and if it's in good shape.
The 9090db is in my opinion the most beautiful reciever I've seen.
So I think (at the moment), it's either the 7500 set or the 9090db.
For the record I'm not a collector, just want to enjoy good music and sound.
As mentioned I rather want a to warm than to forward amp.

Any of those mentioned units will serve you well.
For the record I'm not a collector, just want to enjoy good music and sound.
Just be sure than whatever unit you come across get a proper reconditioning, remember that we are taking about 40+yrs old unit and from my experience ''serviced", means nothing.
As advice, get a membership and go to barter town, you will find good options, with more than fair prices, and maybe a reconditioned unit that will be just plug and play.
About the ''warmness''; your speakers have a lot to do in that matter, not just the receiver, integrated, etc. So you need to find the match that you like.
An audio system(vintage or not), have several variables.

Oh and welcome to AK (be careful with Sansui, once you get one you will want more:p )

Last edited:
Sorry about my English, the correct translation should be that the au-7500 is said to be reconditioned (seller has this as business).
Same applies to the 417.
Maybe I should jump on the 7500.
I feel more confident that it is in good condition vs the unknowns of this on 9090db.

I spoke with the seller of 7500 and 417, and by coincidence he is coming to my region in a 1 1/2 weeks time.
So I get the chance to hear both the 7500 and the 417 before I decide.

Back
Top Bottom