Today's INDIE Playlist

All this BJM chatter has me digging out all my records. I seem to do so every couple years, usually for a couple months. I'be got "Her Satanic Majesty's..." on right now. There are a few misses on it, but they're more than made up for by some incredible music. "Anenome" might be their best song, and it's on this album. There are two Matt Hollywood songs that are absolute gems, "No Come Down" and "Miss June '75". "Donovan Said" is also a recommended listen.

Donovan Said

Miss June '75

Kinda reminds me of Wire. Long enough (2:54) for two Wire songs. :D

I really got hooked on Club Gaga (unfortunate name IMO) a little while ago but I can't find their LP anywhere and as far as I can tell they only made the one album. That album is great though.

Just checking out Wire now, nice. Yeah, you're right they do sound similar. Here's an example (2:19):

Last edited:
I like to test my opinions to see if anyone else had the same idea. So I Googled "Club Gaga" with "Wire" and found this -

So they're from Athens GA like REM and the B-52's. Pink Flag was released in 1977 but I didn't buy it until around 1992 when I got my first CD player. The guy at the CD store recommended them.

Looking at the Pink Flag wiki page I noticed this connection; "American alternative rock band R.E.M. reworked "Strange" on their 1987 album Document." Anyway, Pink Flag is a seminal piece of work, I've learned, that has influenced a number of bands. Although I've heard of them before (Johnno has posted them several times) I never knew. Thanks for that.

Last edited:
My wife and I had a great time at the BJM concert on Wednesday. All of the songs were great and went well with the mood of the audience and atmosphere. Anton sure puts on a great show. They all did musically but Anton is very entertaining. Ric Maymi had trouble with his pedals and while the staff was trying to fix it Anton joked with us and kept everyone entertained for about 15 minutes while they were fixing it. That and other comments between songs made the whole experience even better. And the music was kick ass. We were lucky to catch them at the small venue in Philly - what a great experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom