Screwed up tuner wheel on Marantz 2270

Lucas G

Was swapping out LED bulbs and unscrewed the wrong thing, the piece that holds the pulleys for the tuning/scrolling wheel. It totally messed everything up and now when I turn the tuning wheel the pulleys don't move because the screw is in the wrong place everywhere. How do I get everything back to where it was? Mostly the problem is getting the string on the part of the tuning wheel that turns.

If I can get the wheel to spin the thread, I think the rest can go back together really easily. How do I do that? The part that is literally the wheel, where it interfaces with the string is my problem.

The whole thing is basically ****ed though. Feeling VERY VERY mad at myself for not watching a video and unscrewing that piece rather than the piece for the LEDs. On the bright side (pun intended) the new LEDs look great. However, I have a big repair ahead of me it seems. Please help!

Take your time, follow the order in the service manual as per this pic.

2270 dial stringing.JPG

It is your first dial re-stringing Lucas, once you've done achieved it, you are on the way to becoming a true restorer of vintage gear. The first one is the hardest. My first one was a tube radio in 1974/5 when I was 8yo. Apparently I cried a lot (according to my Dad) - no pun intended - a-cording...get it? :)

Welcome to AK!

Last edited:
John is right. You can do it. For future reference, there will be times when you need to remove the pulley near the meters for access to the boards. When you do, tape the string to the main pulley in the middle with painters tape before you drop the end pulley. Everything will be easier to put back together. After you solve this puzzle once, you won't be afraid of it again. :thumbsup:

If, for any reason, the string should get broken, replacement string is 20# to 40# Dacron braided fishing line. It is not the new fangled fancy stuff, just the plain old braided line. A thin application of beeswax on the string will make it grabbier. You could probably use some beeswax on the existing string, just a very light application.

Feel your pain Lucas, most have us have been there before.
Follow the chart and have patience but you will get it after several attempts. Might consider using new string. It is easier to wrap around wheels and pulleys.

Good luck.

The third one is much easier. Just take your time and don't force anything. I use 0.9 mm window blind cord for many of them, but different units need different cords.

Good luck ! I have done about 10 and it gets more standard each time. Make sure to run it back and forth a few times even if you have to help it with your other hand so the spring gets tensioned in both directions. There are much worse tuner dial string replacements out there, this one's not bad.

Just lost the spring in the unit - d'oh! Got it almost completely done except for the spring and i need to get beeswax on the tuning wheel bit. What size spring is it? Can I get one at like, my hardware store? The spring fell into the nest of wires below the lamps. Is there anyway to get it out?

I can supply you with a replacement spring. But you really want to find the one that is in there. It can short out connections, causing great grief. Your challenge now, grasshopper, is to find the spring without damaging anything. Is the bottom cover off? You could get really lucky and it just falls through. Removing the board that is held on by the nuts on the bass/mid/treble controls is a way to get to the nest of wires from the underside. This is assuming the faceplate was taken off to get to the lamps and replace the diffuser.

With the bottom cover off, shake the unit a bit to see if you can work it loose. This is easier said than done with a 39lb receiver but if you turn it side to side and front to back the spring may fall out. And you'll build upper body strength at the same time. This too is best done with the faceplate removed to prevent damaging it.

If, for any reason, the string should get broken, replacement string is 20# to 40# Dacron braided fishing line. It is not the new fangled fancy stuff, just the plain old braided line. A thin application of beeswax on the string will make it grabbier. You could probably use some beeswax on the existing string, just a very light application.
What kind of beeswax?

It can be used from a can for furniture and the string. I believe it also comes in blocks, for archers, which can be rubbed on the string. You need very little

You can get it at a craft's store in the sewing department too.

I'm a native Californian, from the east bay area of SF. If you're in SoCal, it's only a mere day's drive on over!

Some of the Marantz receivers, mine is a 2230, show the string wound around the center pully from the top and some show it wound from the bottom. Not sure which is correct for a 2230? Thanks in advance.

A 2230 has the string wound around the tuner pulley from the bottom. Here are pictures showing how the 2230 string goes around the gyro wheel and the pulley.

IMG_0136_resize.JPG IMG_0135_resize.JPG IMG_0134_resize.JPG IMG_0133_resize.JPG IMG_0132_resize.JPG

Blue masking tape and spring hooks are your new best friend. Steady hands and patience help, too.

Tom
6HAR3_AS01.jpg

In one article, the instructions (by someone) was to put the needle to the left side (low end of the dial) with the center pulley (the one with the spring) to the full clockwise position. When I did this, the indicator moves in the correct direction, but the pulley in the middle tries to go clockwise and it is already set to that direction. i.e. it goes in the wrong direction. So now I am restringing with the center pulley turned full counterclockwise. We'll see what happens. That is why I inquired as to the string going around the pulley from the bottom or the top. Thanks folks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom