Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

The new program won't let photobucket pic to show. They are working on it. I'll find them on my old computer and upload them again.

The cabs I am using are unusual in the type of plywood used. the construction consists of .5 x 1.5" solid wood strips glued together with 1/8" Birch glued to both sides. This seems to form a pretty stout laminate. As I sawed a larger hole for the 15" woofer, there was very little vibration caused by the jig saw and the panel seemed very solid, with a lack of voids.

While it may seem solid and vibration free, I think you will find that a competent woofer will have the sides moving quite a lot. That is what gives rise to the "boxy" sound many unbraced cabs exhibit.
Only one way to find out if it's acceptable to you, listen. Also feel the different panels, checking for vibrations while they are playing loud. (Stupid-Loud, just for the test.)

Me, I learned to brace, and brace some more, and coat it if it moves, or if you don't want it to move. That's why I am using about 8 2X3 studs and 10-15 tubes of construction glue inside my pair of 7 cu. ft boxes.

While it may seem solid and vibration free, I think you will find that a competent woofer will have the sides moving quite a lot. That is what gives rise to the "boxy" sound many unbraced cabs exhibit.
Only one way to find out if it's acceptable to you, listen. Also feel the different panels, checking for vibrations while they are playing loud. (Stupid-Loud, just for the test.)

Me, I learned to brace, and brace some more, and coat it if it moves, or if you don't want it to move. That's why I am using about 8 2X3 studs and 10-15 tubes of construction glue inside my pair of 7 cu. ft boxes.

Once I get the speaker combo and crossovers figured out, there will certainly be more bracing installed.

Ok so I have a pair of JBL L40's that may be good canidates for econowave's. The relatively high crossover point of the 127a's, the size of the cabinets, plus I already have a pair of JBL PT 90/50 waveguides. I'm assuming I will be lowering the crossover point of the woofer to 1200 which may help it given at 1800 it's at its extreme limits. I have searched here and Google for any similar builds and have discovered a few post but not any definitive builds. I plan on using the D220Ti with a screw on to bolt on adapter. Any experience, suggestions, or recommendations is appreciated. Thanks

Thanks Katalyst, I saw that and had a question, please excuse my ignorance on this. It list the low pass as 1200 and the highpass at 3000. I'm assuming the roll of of the LP and HP together makes up the 1200 to 3000 frequencies at the correct level ? This particular build with the schematics given and the fact I have most of what I need would be an easy build. I like instant gratification.

Yes the over lapping crossovers "fill in" the rest of the frequencies. In the thread somewhere is the depth to set the time delay vertically. Center of the throat to the horn verses the voice coil of the woofer.

Ok great now that makes total sense to me, looking forward to a quick build when I get off. I should be able to used the stock Lpad configuration if everything fits ok. I'll know when I get home in a couple weeks. Thanks

LE14 EWAVES.jpg LE14 EW JPG.jpg LE14 EWAVE.jpgLE14A E-waves finished with Selenium D220ti and appropriate crossover in 4.0 cu.ft. mdf cabinet with Duratex on five sides and cherry veneer on the front tuned to 33Hz.

QUESTIONS - having a second pair of LE14As available would there be any benefit to cutting in another LE14 below the existing one and using an inductor to create a 2.5 way? Would I need to double the volume of the cabinet to reap the benefit? (I would re-tune the LF crossover because BSC is addressed in the current crossover.)

The graph is excellent looking. My opinion is not to add anything. The cabinets on mine have the tweeter/horn section a little low. Yours are at a better height. I may seek a shorter chair height. Your speakers are beautiful.

Thank you. Perfect IS the enemy of good. I'll leave these alone. In a weak moment I thought that I might move my 4430s out because I have a pair of 2234s and the Deluxe HF sections for which cabinets are not yet built. The 4430s, more and more. become to me examples of the genesis of this whole thread - to be appreciated for what they are while knowing they can be bested by SPEAKERS WE BUILD OURSELVES. THAT is very rewarding. With the help of all of you these new ones were dialed in and confirmed by my new testing equipment. Thank you Zilch. (Almost 7 years since his contributions were prematurely silenced)

View attachment 1015071 View attachment 1015073 View attachment 1015075LE14A E-waves finished with Selenium D220ti and appropriate crossover in 4.0 cu.ft. mdf cabinet with Duratex on five sides and cherry veneer on the front tuned to 33Hz.

QUESTIONS - having a second pair of LE14As available would there be any benefit to cutting in another LE14 below the existing one and using an inductor to create a 2.5 way? Would I need to double the volume of the cabinet to reap the benefit? (I would re-tune the LF crossover because BSC is addressed in the current crossover.)

Very nice looking speakers. That graph looks great!!! Another woof will help if you are in a very large room but in a normal space one is enough.

I should have qualified my earlier statement by saying " of the obtainable 12" wide waveguides , the H290x is my go-to-choice .

It would be nice if there was a 15" wide version of the H290x .

cdx1-1747_h290_mod.PNG

Yes, the pic ( above ) shows an on-axis measurement . The response "weakness" seen in the < 1300hz area can be addressed with a simple 2-pole "bump" filter ( flip the roles of the 2 poles & then slide their reactive points towards each other to adjust the "Q" of the boost / ie; large cap - small coil ) .

Since you're focused on directivety ( rather than distortion in the crossover region ), here are Wayne's measurements ( I expect similar from any H290x variant ) .

H290C_Horizontal_Curves.jpg

:)
Can you draw a schematic of this? I can't stop and will likely get these drivers. I have the "horns."

I just finished reading this thread for the third time all the way through. Between two laptops I think I have 44 pages of notes copied and pasted into Word. Just amazing. If I can distill the notes into a cogent primer, I will. All these years and projects later, I have purchased the necessary test equipment. Nothing improves a setup better than a fine pair of speakers and I want to build more using the equipment to develop new combinations that I, and others, can be proud of.

Hi,

cdx1-1747_h290_mod.PNG

The schematic for the HF compensation shown in that picture lays out like this;

cdx1-1747 + h290_HF compensation.png

Unfortunately ( for your use ), that only shows a compensation network ( not a full HiPass section of a complete network > that doesn't exist ).

Your best bet ( at using your other pair of le14a's ) is to simply build the le14a deluxe version using the following network from JackGiff .( since the B&C de250 is readily available, as is the $10.00 PRV clone of the QSC 152i waveguide ) .

eWave_le14a_deluxe.jpg

I don't own any de250's so I can't compare that B&C's response directly to that of a CDX1-1747 for interchangeability .
- For all I know the Celestion might be a simple swap / but without actual A/B testing I won't ever know .

Last edited:
I purchased test equipment and this, coupled with other projects, will be my "schooling" on that process.

Hi,

cdx1-1747_h290_mod.PNG

The schematic for the HF compensation shown in that picture lays out like this;

View attachment 1018184

Unfortunately ( for your use ), that only shows a compensation network ( not a full HiPass section of a complete network > that doesn't exist ).

Your best bet ( at using your other pair of le14a's ) is to simply build the le14a deluxe version using the following network from JackGiff .( since the B&C de250 is readily available, as is the $10.00 PRV clone of the QSC 152i waveguide ) .

eWave_le14a_deluxe.jpg

I don't own any de250's so I can't compare that B&C's response directly to that of a CDX1-1747 for interchangeability .
- For all I know the Celestion might be a simple swap / but without actual A/B testing I won't ever know .

The only other econo cd I want to experiment with is the Dayton D250P - unless of course, someone has worked that up already. It appears some have done a straight swap with the B&C but...

Back
Top Bottom