are there any good all in one turntables?

Jason another factor may be your budget, a good vintage all in one may be a "collectable" item now and the price will reflect it. As you said any new recent all in one like a Crosley is junk and money to the wind. As a few others have mentioned with a little creativity it would be possible to create a "compact" and good sounding system from vintage components, a small intergrated amp, compact speakers like the Minimus or ADS and a Technics liniear tracker SL-5 table all taking up minimal space and sounding very good.

well for the budget I was hoping to keep it under $250 I think that is a good budget for what I am seeking out, these are not high quality turntables I realize, I mean they are not audiophile quality I mean, I do want a decent one that won't eat my records, and has loud enough audio, and I've been told Crosley are junk, so other than that I don't really know much about the lower end all in one speaker/turntable combo record players, I see there are many brands though like Victrola, and others, they look like Crosley record players, and that makes me worry that they are little more than Crosley clones, or am I wrong about this?

Pioneer made some good ones. This MS-6500 unit is very nice.

6a00d83420a02f53ef0168e9e5fad5970c-pi.jpg

, I see there are many brands though like Victrola, and others, they look like Crosley record players, and that makes me worry that they are little more than Crosley clones, or am I wrong about this?

There are many others selling, under different brand names, the same cheap asian made turntables that Crosley sell.

Klh model 24, check it out. Beautiful looks, amazing sound , and very compact for an apartment dwelling. A good working unit with speakers I think average around $200-$300. Heck the model 24 speakers alone sound great on most of my other recievers just by them selves.

Many years ago a friend had a KLH Model 20 or maybe 24 system, which was pretty nice for the era; well designed, not a bad tuner, and kind of stylish if that counts for anything. The speakers were certainly way better than what you typically got in an all-in-one in those days (but they were obviously not built in if that's what you have to have). Not that long ago I came across a pair of those speakers at a thrift and played with them for bit. They were pretty heavy and took RCA type connectors on the back.

Surely someone in the world still makes these quality turntables today?
No.

Back in the day, there were some that were decent (KLH, Dual to name a couple). But now? It's all crap as far as the eye can see.

Somewhere I saw someone had come up with an all-in-one with a Rega, but they wanted stupid money for it.

The KLH Model Twenty was a great system although it's Garrard turntable wasn't state of the art.. I had one for years, but it finally gave up one channel.

My family had a Fisher 35A when I was in high school. A receiver with TT on top. Not bad sounding. Would have benefited from better speakers.

Pioneer made some good ones. This MS-6500 unit is very nice.

6a00d83420a02f53ef0168e9e5fad5970c-pi.jpg

Again, not sold in the USA, not officially imported to the USA, and most likely 50 Hertz/220/240V and shipping one not cheap. Pioneer did make a decent Centrex line model or two, and the best ones had a metal platter, BSR changer with a counterweight, anti-skating, and a ADC magnetic cartridge. And had one of the high end models which got sold here like the pictured one, but different. It's very scarce as it was very expensive new, and few were sold.

KLH 20 series systems are nice. Wood veneer not vinyl. Good internal electronics. Not terrible Garrard changer. I picked one up in the past year from an online electronics recycler for under 30 bucks. Paired up with KLH 20 series 15 dollar thrift finds and quite a nice little system. Just needed a new needle and some polishing. At the price, who cares if the cat sits on it?

Attachments

• IMG_20170218_084015959_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170218_084015959_HDR.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20170129_174635131.jpg
    IMG_20170129_174635131.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20161105_162455944_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161105_162455944_HDR.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 19
Here in Oz a popular all in one is the HMV Monaco. Many quality units can still be found, great little portable unit takes up very little space. Has a brass handle you can take to your next party :)
IMG_20161103_212242.jpg

well for the budget I was hoping to keep it under $250 I think that is a good budget for what I am seeking out, these are not high quality turntables I realize, I mean they are not audiophile quality I mean, I do want a decent one that won't eat my records, and has loud enough audio, and I've been told Crosley are junk, so other than that I don't really know much about the lower end all in one speaker/turntable combo record players, I see there are many brands though like Victrola, and others, they look like Crosley record players, and that makes me worry that they are little more than Crosley clones, or am I wrong about this?

They're just as much junk as a Crosley. $250 new barely buys you a modern competent turntable today, and $250 didn't buy a decent all in one in 1975 either. A decent KLH compact cost that in 1965 money. And without FM either.

In the '50s and '60s Califone had some very industrial-looking phonographs with a tube amplifier, direct drive (long before Technics invented it :)), a stroboscope, continuously variable speed adjustment, a strange cantilevered headshell, and a tonearm long enough to play 16-inch transcription records:

I am going to be moving probably late this year/early next year, and I will be in a smaller place, and I was wondering if there is a good all in one turntable that is made? Something like the Crosley type collegiate players? Only NOT a Crosley haha, I know that Crosley's are basically junk, but I was wondering does anyone make a good turntable like they used to make in the 50's or maybe 60's of those portable smaller turntables that had a speaker built in? I remember using these in school, and they were well made, not like the garbage they make today. Surely someone in the world still makes these quality turntables today?
Those old ones were not really any better than a Crosley, except for the bass coming from the speaker.

The main issue I have with crosley is that they damage your records. If it were not for that, I'd have no problem with them. I wouldn't want one, but I suspect a lot of people could find a use for an all-in-one that treated your records like a good u-turn would treat them.

Problem is that there is not really a market for what you are talking about. It means you will almost certainly have to improvise. I have an old JVC tube shaped boom box that has amazing sound. I use it as an amplifier for my bass at acoustic gigs. It also has a line in which I can use to plug in my Audio Technica lp-120 usb. And again, it sounds awesome. Clean sound, good volume and DEEP bass.

But that is two parts and if you total up the price of the two items if purchased new you are looking at about $800.

I would be looking for a used KLH all in one. Recap and seal the speakers, clean/ deoxit pots, new stylus and you would be good to go. I picked up a working one for 20 bucks over the summer.

The main issue I have with crosley is that they damage your records. If it were not for that, I'd have no problem with them.
He specifically mentioned the Crosley Collegiate, which uses an Audio-Technica AT3600 magnetic cartridge and has an adjustable counterweight.

Crosley-Collegiate-Turntable-01.jpg

In fact, the majority of Crosley's lineup of all-in-one models have magnetic cartridges. But alas, the cheap Cruiser is what sells best, and gives Crosley their bad reputation.

He specifically mentioned the Crosley Collegiate, which uses an Audio-Technica AT3600 magnetic cartridge and has an adjustable counterweight.

Crosley-Collegiate-Turntable-01.jpg

In fact, the majority of Crosley's lineup of all-in-one models have magnetic cartridges. But alas, the cheap Cruiser is what sells best, and gives Crosley their bad reputation.
Well then, that is what he should be getting.

I did not think ANY of the Crosley all-in-one's had a MM cartridge, much less, an adjustable counterweight.

Back
Top Bottom