Unsure what to do...DAC or CD?

Greetings,

As happy as I am that many new titles are being put to vinyl, many for the very first time. there are more still that will never get this treatment. More specifically, releases on Cleopatra and Cargo/Reconstriction that were cd only and most likely wouldn't be good investments for a repress.

As I would like to own these again, I am unsure about how the best way to go about it.

A) Buy a CD player (Looking at used CD6005) and pick up the cd's for $1-2 each on amazon, ebay, discogs.

B) Buy a cheap laptop and a DAC to run itunes, then buy cheap cd's, rip and chuck them into the cloud.

I haven't owned a cd (other than my own self produced album to which I have the final copy) in 15 years but then DAC's can be expensive and I would need an outlet to fire the files into the sky.

I am an Apple Music subscriber but none of these titles are on there. Many are on Spotify but am not looking to have 2 payments every month.
It is strange that the music from Cleopatra isn't available on Apple Music. They have iTunes as a carrier of their music on their website. In your situation, I think I would look to see if the music is available for download on iTunes. If you bought it there, it would merge into Apple Music, so you would still have it available on your AppleTV.

Outside of that, you are looking at buying a new computer or a CD player. You lose a lot of convenience with a CD player, but I don't know how many discs you are talking about. I have SACDs I play on occasion, but most of my music listening is from Apple Music or my server, so I prefer not to deal with physical discs if I don't have to. However, if you are talking about 15 albums or something, I don't think it would be worth buying a computer. If you are talking about 100 or more albums, I would probably look for cheap laptop with an optical disc slot and rip them. If you run iTunes, you can have Apple Music match them so that they are available on your AppleTV when your computer is off, as well.

One thing I would recommend over a DAC would be the Yamaha WCX-50 music streamer. You would need access to a phone or tablet with Android or iOS. However, It has an optical input, so it can work as a DAC (it uses ESS Sabre DACs). It also has an analog input, works with Bluetooth, Airplay (which you could use with iTunes or the AppleTV), DLNA, etc. At this point, I think this type of streamer with a built in DAC offers more options than a stand alone DAC if you don't need numerous inputs.

There are many Cleo titles on Apple Music. Oddly maybe 1/3 of the titles I want aren't there. Same story with Cargo/Reconstriction. I can find these discs on eBay and discogs for ~$2 each so that's why I pondered getting a CD player.

The streamer looks nice but seemingly irrelevant as I can stream to/from my Apple TV which connects via optical to the amp. The only advantage I could see if that streamer can do higher than 16/44 as that's currently where the Apple TV caps. This may change of course but as of now...

There are many Cleo titles on Apple Music. Oddly maybe 1/3 of the titles I want aren't there. Same story with Cargo/Reconstriction. I can find these discs on eBay and discogs for ~$2 each so that's why I pondered getting a CD player.

The streamer looks nice but seemingly irrelevant as I can stream to/from my Apple TV which connects via optical to the amp. The only advantage I could see if that streamer can do higher than 16/44 as that's currently where the Apple TV caps. This may change of course but as of now...
I thought this was for a separate system, but if it isn't I would just get the cheap laptop and rip to iTunes and then load them onto Apple Music. You would be able to access them from the Apple Music app. Of course, the AppleTV has a feature where it can see iTunes running on a computer, so you could also use the actual ripped files if you kept the laptop running.

Yes, the Yamaha handles DSD and 24/96 files. I don't think it is relevant for your situation, though.

Back
Top Bottom