Barter Thread

dfunghi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Mods,
If this is verboten please remove.

I wondered if we could get a barter thread going. Many times I have something for sale or trade that would match another's for sale or trade except they do not want what I have but other's do.

Let's say I have a Mississippi John Hurt Today LP and I want a Tom Waits LP. Ron has Tom Waits but does not want John Hurt, he does however want the sealed Deep Purple that Klown has........ and so on and so forth.

I was just wondering if we had a thread where we could list available trades and try to work out multiple party swaps. After all this is called barter town.

Also along the lines of Barter maybe I could offer to clean records via my system (which I would put up against any in the world) with a re sleeve at $4 a platter as credit towards an LP being "sold". We would each pay our own shipping. So besides the LP I bought the seller would send me four or five others to be washed and returned.

I am just throwing this out and maybe we could get it working similar to the sticky Karma thread (the $10 box).

Since BT demands I list a price and not allow feelers here it is:

I would like to trade a NM/NM Deja Vu LP (can verify matrixes but is likely very early) and an Allman Bros Beginnings for Horace Silver's "Song For My Father" of similar NM status, and of course any 1970's (Liberty?) RE would work to keep values close not expecting a rare original.

Great idea for a thread Dave!

I would love to trade for a original copy of The Rods - Rock Hard

I have several hundred Metal and hard rock lps to choose from in my traders, most all with -NM records if opened as well as sealed lps

I like the idea of the record cleaning as credit. I have an Audio Desk ultrasonic cleaner that I would love to be able to use to lower the cost of purchasing records. I agree that it could work like the Karma thread.

Hiya,

Should be at the very least a sticky as to not bump away other posts.

Frannie

I am going to try and figure out a want list and "have to offer" list and see if anything comes of it. I am going to ask mods to move this to back alley for discussion until we can figure out a way to make it work. I agree that endless bumps are not the way to do it.

Anyone care to trade a Jim Capaldi "Oh How We Danced" for a Steve Winwood "Arc Of The Diver" and S/T both in NM. Would like Capaldi VG+ or better on vinyl cover is negotiable.

I should add I want the Capaldi and have the Winwoods

I like the cleaning credit idea. I'll keep an eye on this thread - unfortunately it comes along a little too late for me right now - just sold a bunch of stuff that I would have happily traded.

Wouldn't mind trading a Price Buster album I have for some tube testing. I received two pair of RCA 12AU7s with my Rogue Sphinx I bought used but have no idea how strong these tubes are.

I'm looking for Stone the Crows albums in VG+ or better condition.

I have a bunch of new wave, female 80s, punk, jazz and classic rock stuff to trade. Let me know what you are looking for and I'll check to see if I have it.

Wouldn't mind trading a Price Buster album I have for some tube testing. I received two pair of RCA 12AU7s with my Rogue Sphinx I bought used but have no idea how strong these tubes are.

I'd be happy to test tubes for you. I have a Hickok 536 mutual conductance tube tester. Not sure if you'd prefer someone closer to you (I'm in CA), so feel free to wait, but happy to do it. I think someone else might appreciate the album more, so in the spirit of barter, etc, I'd be happy to trade any tube testing credits toward ultrasonic cleaning credits from dfunghi. :)

I'd be happy to test tubes for you. I have a Hickok 536 mutual conductance tube tester. Not sure if you'd prefer someone closer to you (I'm in CA), so feel free to wait, but happy to do it. I think someone else might appreciate the album more, so in the spirit of barter, etc, I'd be happy to trade any tube testing credits toward ultrasonic cleaning credits from dfunghi. :)

That might work. I have a vacuum cleaning machine if that level of cleaning interests you. I'll PM for the address for tube testing. Thanks!

I am trying to find a way to use a barter point system eventually. For now I would "price" record cleaning at $4 each and if doing four or more return shipping is on me. I would not do this for $4 per as a cash deal, but just as reference for value. Of course I have done more than a few for more than a couple of other AKer already just to help out. I figure I get about seventy LPs done per batch of cleaning solution. After that the solution is pretty murky. And I dust / pre rinse everything so this is gunk being taken from deep in grooves happy to say. I use Tergitol at about $5 a load and distilled at about $4 a load. The big cost is of course electricity and labor. Well, that an original outlay of close to a grand for all the pieces.

That might work. I have a vacuum cleaning machine if that level of cleaning interests you. I'll PM for the address for tube testing. Thanks!
I am happy to clean the records for your tube cleaning and then apply it towards an LP purchase or something similar. I know you have a nice deep library.

Ben, I already have a KAB EV-1 vacuum cleaner, but I have some records that still have clicks/pops after using my machine. I've been very interested in the results from ultrasonic cleaning and whether it can resolve these types of issues on records that look visually very clean. If it can/does, I may be able to justify getting my own utrasonic rig at some point! :thumbsup:

I am happy to clean the records for your tube cleaning and then apply it towards an LP purchase or something similar. I know you have a nice deep library.

I sent Ben my address for shipping his tubes. I'll get in touch on how many I end up testing and see what you think is fair. One album in particular I'm interested in having cleaned is a 45rpm Analogue Productions copy of Know What I Mean (earlier release, not the one that came with the Bill Evans boxset).

Sounds good. It'll be two pairs of tubes, all 12au7s and one of them I'm pretty sure is not working. I'll put them in the mail tomorrow.
I was just thinking, I have a copy of Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers (this pressing) I could put up for 3 or 4 record US cleanings.

Ben, I already have a KAB EV-1 vacuum cleaner, but I have some records that still have clicks/pops after using my machine. I've been very interested in the results from ultrasonic cleaning and whether it can resolve these types of issues on records that look visually very clean. If it can/does, I may be able to justify getting my own utrasonic rig at some point! :thumbsup:

I sent Ben my address for shipping his tubes. I'll get in touch on how many I end up testing and see what you think is fair. One album in particular I'm interested in having cleaned is a 45rpm Analogue Productions copy of Know What I Mean (earlier release, not the one that came with the Bill Evans boxset).
First let me say no problem I am happy to run that one through for you. I am finishing up this week's batches so if you can get it to me before Monday (when my wife gets her kitchen back from me) and I put it all away for few weeks I can get to it now. Second let me say how shocked I am to see you have this issue with QRP 45! I will PM you my address.

Sounds good. It'll be two pairs of tubes, all 12au7s and one of them I'm pretty sure is not working. I'll put them in the mail tomorrow.
I was just thinking, I have a copy of Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers (this pressing) I could put up for 3 or 4 record US cleanings.

Don't need that one. I need Song For My Father. I would be happy with this version, and I know this is a $20+ record.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Horace-...y-Father-Cantiga-Para-Meu-Pai/release/7273802

Alive and kicking thread..... Just cleaned a few LPs and it appears based on description improvement was obtained. Will await final verdict.

D

Posting some feedback on the US cleaning that dfunghi did on 3 of my albums.

I had 2 first/early Miles Davis pressings (Round About Midnight and My Funny Valentine). RAM was acquired from an old jazz enthusiast and the record was in pretty great shape for being 60yrs old, but had misc relatively minor clicks/pops even after going through my KAB EV-1 vacuum based machine. MFV was bought on CL and didn't even have an inner sleeve and shows some hairlines/minor flaws, etc, but nothing too major. Though a bit noisy, it sounded pretty good.

The 3rd album I sent for cleaning was a 2003 2 x 45rpm Analogue Productions release of Know What I Mean that I picked up on eBay. Though it looked to be in great/pristine condition, even after 2-3 runs through my vacuum machine, it had significant crackling noise esp on the first track, but also at various points throughout playback on all sides. I could hear the potential in the parts that didn't have noise, but I was seriously thinking of returning it as the noise that was there kind of ruined the overall experience.

After US cleaning:
MFV - it's hard to tell whether this got better. Because the clicks/pops, while minor, are pretty frequent it's just hard to tell.
RAM - I'm fairly certain this got better. The noise that's occasionally there seems obvious and due to some physical flaw, but other parts of the LP are quiet. So there's virtually no low level noise that's persistently there.
Know What I Mean - This one improved the most. All that significant crackling on the first track is gone - just silent. Having played the first 2 sides, I can say it's much much improved - not 100% totally silent every second of both sides, but it's about as quiet as any used record I've ever had and better than some new ones.

So I'm very pleased with the results of the US cleaning and recommend it esp for LPs that look great, but still have persistent noise that don't seem to respond to other methods of cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom