Best way to hook up the OPPO UDP-205 or any higher end CD/SACD player?

HiFiJeff

I am contemplating purchasing the Oppo UDP-205 or the UDP-203 for BD and a stand alone CD player. I am also purchasing a Marantz SR-6011 with 7.1 analog inputs. Which I think bypasses the digital processing and lets the signal from the source to pass through unaltered. So my question, is for critical listening on 2 channel audio, what is the best way to go? RCA or digital?

It would be a shame to buy a UDP-205, and not be able to take advantage of its DAC/XLR outputs. Is there a way you can make that happen?

It would be a shame to buy a UDP-205, and not be able to take advantage of its DAC/XLR outputs. Is there a way you can make that happen?

The entire point of purchasing the 205 is for the analog section. So that is my main question. I am looking into purchasing an AVR that has analog inputs that is pure pass through to take advantage of a higher end CD player or DAC.

I am contemplating purchasing the Oppo UDP-205 or the UDP-203 for BD and a stand alone CD player.

You mentioned using a 203 or 205 for BD, and then mentioned about buying a stand alone CD player. I just assumed that the Oppo was going to be used for HT only, and possibly in a separate room. If purchasing the UDP, why do you need a CD player?

Again, if you could take advantage of, not only the DAC, but the balanced outputs of the 205 that would be ideal. Some Marantz AVRs have balanced inputs, doesn't it?

Personally, I think being concerned with using balanced outputs is more relevant if,
  • The player truly passes a differential signal from the DAC (as opposed to single ended converted to balanced), and
  • The preamp/processor natively works fully differential (as opposed to balanced input on otherwise single ended circuit)
Of course, the ultimate as I said in the other related post is to use whichever way sounds better to you, and not sweat the details between.

Personally, I think being concerned with using balanced outputs is more relevant if,
  • The player truly passes a differential signal from the DAC (as opposed to single ended converted to balanced), and
  • The preamp/processor natively works fully differential (as opposed to balanced input on otherwise single ended circuit)
Of course, the ultimate as I said in the other related post is to use whichever way sounds better to you, and not sweat the details between.

Would this do the trick?

http://www.parasound.com/p5.php

And this is what the Oppo UDP-205 states.

"Dedicated Stereo Output with XLR Balanced Connectors
The stereo output section offers both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended connectors. By transmitting a pair of differential signals, the balanced output provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality."

is for critical listening on 2 channel audio,
I would not use an AVR (personal opinion)

RCA or digital?
RCA or XLR

Would this do the trick?
Yes if you have power amp.

If the application is stereo critical listening a nice integrated amp or separates would do great.

If the application is Home theater, and you want to use the AVR for listening music (good enough for some people), just connect your oppo (discrete analogue section) to the analogue (RCA or XLR) section of your AVR and use it on direct mode

I that what your were asking?

Oppo claimed the 105D to be a fully balanced design. One could call them to determine if this is also the case for the 205. If so, then connecting the unit via XLR to a fully balanced preamp and then on via XLR to a fully balanced power amplifier would be ideal.

With the Marantz, your best bet would be to use both the multi-channel analog outs as well as the HDMI outputs to the Marantz. This will provide the ability for you to listen via the Oppo DAC or the Marantz DAC for critical listening and will offer the most flexibility for disc playback for multi-ch formats, etc.

I would not use an AVR (personal opinion)

RCA or XLR

Yes if you have power amp.

If the application is stereo critical listening a nice integrated amp or separates would do great.

If the application is Home theater, and you want to use the AVR for listening music (good enough for some people), just connect your oppo (discrete analogue section) to the analogue (RCA or XLR) section of your AVR and use it on direct mode

I that what your were asking?

The Parasound has home theater bypass to integrate into a home theater system. Don't fully understand how it works and seem like it might be a pain.

And this is exactly my problem. I went from a very nice two channel set up, tube amps and Omega speakers, to a 5.1 Integra AVR. If I had never experienced great 2 channel audio, the audio throught the Integra would sound really good. But I really miss the purity and beautiful sound of my dedicated 2 channel system. So I am trying to marry the two together. I might just have two separate systems in the same room and just switch out speaker cables when I want to listen to two channel audio. Might be the best route to take.

Oppo claimed the 105D to be a fully balanced design. One could call them to determine if this is also the case for the 205. If so, then connecting the unit via XLR to a fully balanced preamp and then on via XLR to a fully balanced power amplifier would be ideal.

With the Marantz, your best bet would be to use both the multi-channel analog outs as well as the HDMI outputs to the Marantz. This will provide the ability for you to listen via the Oppo DAC or the Marantz DAC for critical listening and will offer the most flexibility for disc playback for multi-ch formats, etc.

And yet another route I am seriously considering. Because if I hook up the Oppo via dedicated 2 channel analog outputs to the Marantz 7.1 in, I am essentially bypassing the Marantz's dacs and processing and getting a pure cd or SACD signal right from the Oppo's SABRE dac's. Then go HDMI audio into the AVR for surround sound and so on. Correct???

I just received my 205 today. Only had time to place it in my AV shelf, but the build quality looks and feels much better than my 105D. Was going back and forth between the Sonica and the 205, and decided to go with the universal player.

I just received my 205 today. Only had time to place it in my AV shelf, but the build quality looks and feels much better than my 105D. Was going back and forth between the Sonica and the 205, and decided to go with the universal player.

Can't wait to hear your impressions. Can you also let us know your associated equipment?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom