Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

At one point I had a Yamaha CA-1010 integrated and T-1 tuner, both acquired cheaply and in excellent shape. I foolishly sold them. Not a good move. :no: Oh well, at least they went to someone here on AK. I recently picked up a CA-810 and CT-800 which eases the pain.

View attachment 997883

Looks so much better without the blue filter in the lights. I did the same thing to mine. Because the meters are silver you get this almost champagne-colored glow. I wish they were just a tiny bit brighter though. I've been wanting to do LEDs with mine but I'm afraid the color will be wrong.

I couldn't find any reference to the T10 tuner on the Tuner Information Center site. Is it unknown to them?

IIRC the double digit Yamaha models from that era were sold in mass market stores vs audio stores which had the three digit models and there does not seem to be much info out there on them.

IIRC the double digit Yamaha models from that era were sold in mass market stores vs audio stores which had the three digit models and there does not seem to be much info out there on them.

Any clue what the comparable audio shop market model might be?

Not really. When I was selling Yamaha we would occasionally have a shopper come in with a brochure from one of those models. Unlike the later HTR/RXV series they were not the same as what we sold. Some models were clearly cheaper affairs, receivers with built in EQs and the like. That was in the mid 80's to early 90's, your units look older than that so I am not sure what the deal was back then.

I will try and crack the A-10 open and post some pics of the internals this weekend. Maybe something will look familiar to one of you who know Yamaha better than I do?

I have owned a few nice amps and receivers (Luxman, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz...), and am enjoying the looks, feels and sound of this A-10. I think it's a 1982 build which makes sense since it has an aux and no CD input. So maybe that predates the models mentioned earlier? So far it has been a nice performer with some real power.

1982 is a key year to remember for world hi-fi. Here's why:

Prior to 82 hi-fi was booming. OK? It was one of the biggest consumer spending items. There were no mobile phones, very few PCs, no Apple products. Consumer video was barely making its mark. TV was not yet to start upgrading. Hi-Fi was KING. There were loads of awesome hi-fi products on the market and coming to market. Awesome hi-fi products. Now to why 82 was a key year:

Then came a global recession. You can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1980s_recession

The consequences for hi-fi were that many of the great, great products were rarely seen after that. No it wasn't the end of great hi-fi products. It was just the end of the sheer number of corporations making them and the sheer number of the populace buying them. Prior to this recession hi-fi was KING. After the recession people never bought hi-fi to the same extent again. This is where we see the move to tiny speakers. Tiny systems. Many more tiny crap systems. CD takes over. So billions start to walk away from turntable ownership and record buying. CD to some extent saves the hi-fi industry from irrelevance. The industry jumps on the back of that and everything gets a label 'Digital Ready' in order to keep some momentum going, because industry in general worldwide is seeing sales and profits and jobs fall dramatically.

Check out how many amazing products came to market around 79-85. Many of them were in development prior to the recession when hi-fi was KING. See how many companies went bust after 85 or so. Hi-Fi had it balls cut off and its back broken by the recession and if it wasn't for CD most of the hi-fi industry would have failed. The Heyday of Vinyl(as sales go) was prior to '82. Prior to 82 even small towns had a hi-fi store. In many instances more than one. After '82 many of those started closing. Hi-fi once sold a lot of product, generated a lot of jobs and advertised like crazy. After '82 there were big changes.

^^^ Damn, never realized that as it was just before I was born. Very interesting how a free market adapts and evolves.
Lots of 90s kids (like me) grew up with great systems in their household still, leftover from the 70s. So while crappy all-in-one cd boom boxes were dominating, I saw that there's more to life, and as soon as I started making money I bought my first components.

It's been all downhill from there :)

Looks so much better without the blue filter in the lights. I did the same thing to mine. Because the meters are silver you get this almost champagne-colored glow. I wish they were just a tiny bit brighter though. I've been wanting to do LEDs with mine but I'm afraid the color will be wrong.
Thanks. :beerchug: I'm cool with the power meter lights either way. Like you I'm hesitant to do LEDs, because on most of the gear I've seen them on, regardless of brand, they just don't do much for me. I like that original look, I guess. The lights on the meters of the CT-800 tuner are green, which I couldn't capture with my mediocre photography skills. Trust me, they look pretty nice in person. ;) The CT-800 has a reputation for not being the best for DXing but for sounding really good when the signal is decent, which is my experience as well.

Just rotated my B-1 back in for the cooler months but before I did I snapped a couple of pics of the C-1 with incandescent VU lighting and my B-2 with the the yellow diffused VU LED lighting. These were taken with this morning's ambient back lighting. The matching is a lot better than the pictures show especially in the night.

C-1 B-2 01.jpg C-1 B-2 02.jpg

Last edited:
Just rotated my B-1 back in for the cooler months but before I did I snapped a couple of pics of the C-1 with incandescent VU lighting and my B-2 with the the yellow diffused VU LED lighting. These were taken with this morning's ambient back lighting. The matching is a lot better than the pictures show especially in the night.

View attachment 1002435 View attachment 1002436
Sweet! Match made in haven.

one suggestion...if you do not want to end up with a burned hole in the PSU PCB :rolleyes:, move that C-1 out of that box...
If ya need more validation, pull it out, take the top off, ran it for 10 mins, then hover or touch the heatsinhs of the PCB TO-220s towards the front of the unit. Not the back...those do not get that hot and they carry >100V each..touch both at once and ya'll start break-dancing:biggrin:

Even the top of the meters on the inside...the heat from those incandescents is no joke. I hope you took notes and r willing to share on how you achieved the sweet LED light on the B-2

Last edited:
I hope you took notes and r willing to share on how you achieved the sweet LED light on the B-2

Uhu, sharing = caring :D I'm struggling for months with the LED's in my B-2. I used all kinds of types, experimented with all kinds of light filters, but I can't get the color right.

Here's a nudie of my T-2, ready to be overhauled. The build quality of this thing is something else :naughty:

IMG_6698.JPG

Back
Top Bottom