2325 schematic and reality

wurlyman

I'm working on a detailed color schematic of the 2325. Drawing the wiring now and found things that don't add up. On the left is the actual plug for the PE01 tone board and on the right the schematic (I've already done some of the colors to match the receiver). I'm stumped at pin #9 which should be connecting to ground but the wire is white. Number 10 is black and is not a grounding connection, #11 has a brown wire coming out of it and according to the schematic goes nowhere, and #12 is supposedly a ground and has nothing coming out of it. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Keep it civil guys! (OK, so I'm OCD)

_DSC0453.jpg

If you're assuming certain colors mean certain things that's not the case on THIS receiver. In the old days wire color meant something, not sure when it fell out fashion. In old tube equipment it definitely meant something. If you notice the wires colors are arranged in order, Brown is 1, Red is 2, Orange is 3, just like the color codes on a resistor, Black is usually 0 but Marantz started at 1. 11 and 12 are both ground on the PCB so it really doesn't matter which one is used. Or did I miss your point?

Craig

Last edited:
If you assuming certain colors mean certain things that's not the case on THIS receiver. In the old days wire color meant something, not sure when it fell out fashion. In old tube equipment it definitely meant something. If you notice the wires colors are arranged in order, Brown is 1, Red is 2, Orange is 3, just like the color codes on a resistor, Black is usually 0 but Marantz started at 1. 11 and 12 are both ground on the PCB so it really doesn't matter which one is used. Or did I miss your point?

Craig

Thanks Craig,
I now see that 11 and 12 are both on the negative rail so either one of them could go to chassis ground and in my case it's eleven. Got it! I'll change my schematic to show eleven as chassis ground.
Stu

I seems to me that Marantz documentation has always been questionable for its accuracy.
I'm stumped at pin #9 which should be connecting to ground but the wire is white.
What is more important is that it actually is connected to ground as shown in the schematic. Seems that they are just following a regular order in wire color to match resistor band coding, nothing to do with function. You seem to be the guy who is reviewing and correcting the documentation that Marantz forgot to do.
pin 11 and 12 are the same net, on the pcb, so it is optional which pin they run the wire too.

Good Luck
Rick

I seems to me that Marantz documentation has always been questionable for its accuracy.

What is more important is that it actually is connected to ground as shown in the schematic. Seems that they are just following a regular order in wire color to match resistor band coding, nothing to do with function. You seem to be the guy who is reviewing and correcting the documentation that Marantz forgot to do.
pin 11 and 12 are the same net, on the pcb, so it is optional which pin they run the wire too.

Good Luck
Rick
Thanks Rick. You're right I am trying to get the schematic as accurate as possible, at least for my 2325. I've been working on the re-cap and restoration since last October and started by just redrawing the schematic for two months. The corrections have been ongoing, I found two mistakes just yesterday. Besides being a musician and recording engineer, I'm also a graphic artist so that work has been as much fun as the restoration. When I feel it's finished it will hang on the wall of my studio.

The receiver is basically done now and sounds terrific which has given this old man a huge sense of accomplishment and pride since this was my first project. Don't know if there will be a second one but I'm open to the possibility. My tech friend who has helped me with the testing has hinted that he would like me to tackle his since he's still working and doesn't have time to do it himself. I'll be forever indebted to the great people on this forum who have so generously assisted with their knowledge and expertise.

Stu

Back
Top Bottom