What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

Upgraded from an Alexandria MK II to a MK III. I love these tables. The 3 is easier to calibrate (except getting the damn belt on), throws a deeper and higher soundstage, and brings more bass; all with the same arm (Sumiko MMT) and cartridges as the 2. And to my eyes looks more beautiful with the lustrous, deep piano black finish. I really always thought that things like soundstage and frequency characteristics other than pitch were chiefly influenced by the cartridge and arm. Live and learn. Here's my new Fav.
Alexandria mk3 2.jpg except I'm using a Groove Isolator mat right now. Ain't she sweet?

Give your opinion of what you think is the best all around vintage TT! This should be interesting!!!
I have been pulling out my old stereo stuff and came across my connoisseur BD 103 TT. I have some fond memories of listening to some 70's & 80's music on it. If I remember correctly it had a Stanton cartridge in it which is missing now. I would like to fire it up again, Can anyone give me some choices to try on it. I also have a Rega Planar 2 w/ a rega tone arm and Grado Gt cartridge, that I am going to sell if anyone is interested. I would appreciate any input you could give me. I know i need a new belt for the Connoisseur. The Rega works great. Thanks in advance Gaileo

I'll just throw in a couple of contenders not mentioned in the thread:

pl-l1.JPG

Pioneer PL-1

cqyrl3oy027d7v55l7fck.jpg

Yamaha PX-1

d58d1abe2c4a73fbacb71cca1adcfd48.jpg

Micro Seiki DQX-1000 (it's just so d*mn cool)

Just had my 1960 Garrard type A returned to me after a complete DNC (dustin' and cleanin') hooked it back up to the Sherwood S5000 tube amp coupled with Norelco AD5277M 12" dual cone loudspeakers and WOW blew me away. I know the old Garrard turntables were criticized for having
heavy needles but it sounds fanfreakintastic, like front row in Carnagy hall.
Gotta love the old tube amps! Tried to post video.....is it even possible to post pics or video on this site with an IPad? No luck.

I'm very pleased with my Pioneer PL-550, though I'm starting to get a little bit concerned about it's age and the circuitry within. I once had a Sansui SR-2050C that I was greatly impressed with, I should have kept it.

its a Garrard 301 Grease bearing for me. I tried my best, playing the same records, rotating carts. Each turntable has their own characteristics. My TD124 is impressive with its SME3009 and an M447 cart. The Lenco GL75 & 78 are winners at their price range. I also have a Garrard 301 Oil bearing. all playing stereo but the grease 301 tops them all. More so after putting a 2nd Mono cart. am waiting for my Lenco 88 this week. I will build a solid plinth for this new classic and will see . . . attached photo is my 301 in an old rustic wood i rescued from the Fireplace :)

Attachments

• AUDIOKAMRA 301 A.jpg
    AUDIOKAMRA 301 A.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 52
  • AUDIOKAMRA 301 B.jpg
    AUDIOKAMRA 301 B.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 52
For me, the best sounding TT's I ever heard was a Garrad 401/SME3012/Decca Cartridge and a Schopper/Swissonor TD124/Swissonor TA10 tonearm/ Ortofon Quintet Blue. IMHO, the Idler driven TT's have the punch Vinyl needs to bring up the best in sound. Unfortunately both TT cost reconditioned a awful lot of Money. I could only afford a TD125 MkII :oops: but OK. I am happy with my system and the way it sound. :thumbsup:

K1600_20170810_172908.JPG

Back
Top Bottom