My Fisher museum could be destroyed by Irma

Actually I saw something just yesterday somewhere on the web debunking the myth of the dishwasher as dry storage in a flood. They are apparently not that waterproof. For one thing, if everything is under water, the sewers are going to back up, and water and come in right up through the drain line. Not knocking it for 'protected and nailed down' though. Just don't expect things to stay dry.

Dishwashers have vents in them too. Get the level too high and it will just run right in the top and it will not drain back out of the bottom.

Good luck Steve. We are all pulling for you and everyone. Lots of friends and relatives in Naples and Fort Meyers too we are concerned about.
Hope you and the family and pets are safe.
(includes your Fisher family too)

Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A component wrapped in plastic and placed in a dishwasher will be better protected than if it's just left out in the open.

Oven not waterproof or even water resistant. Hi wall mounted shelves, with them packed in plastic. Chest freezer would be better than a dishwasher, then strap the top or lock it. Just make sure the steaks are gone 1st!

It's looking more and more like the center will be well west, this will keep the wind direction away from the most vulnerable side of the house. My appliances wouldn't even put a dent in the area I need for the herd, they will be bagged and covered with my fancy Buick GSX car cover to boot. Getting close to Irma day here, glad I have plenty of beer and grub to ride it out with. Hope my generator power is usable to power up some music when needed.

155 mph wind coming by morning. Good luck to all of you in Florida Saturday morning. May God be with you and your loved ones and best wishes from way up in Ontario, Canada. Westjet is offering 50% fares for all leaving Fla. and SC for Canadian destinations.

Able to relax some today and spin some vinyl through my Fisher 1800 connected to my Klipsch Belles. Wind is starting to rattle the shutters a bit, supposed to get as high as 90 mph later on. I fell asleep for a bit and awoke to this guy having terse words with a gal named Irma. :p From what I gathered, Irma agreed to stay well west of here.

Avery Fisher.jpg

Last edited:
Having survived Katrina, I don't want to go through another monster hurricane, but I would put family and pets ahead of my gear. Gear can be replaced, your life cannot. Good Luck to you whatever you decide to do. Hoping and praying to see a post from you in a few days saying all is well.

Actually I saw something just yesterday somewhere on the web debunking the myth of the dishwasher as dry storage in a flood. They are apparently not that waterproof. For one thing, if everything is under water, the sewers are going to back up, and water and come in right up through the drain line. Not knocking it for 'protected and nailed down' though. Just don't expect things to stay dry.

I saw that as well, but the dishwasher or similar appliance might still be better than nothing more than garbage bags on the living room floor.

Sitting here at the WPLG studios (my wife works here) and I've been able to monitor my house through the RING doorbell. So far it's been all good news. Just that the doorbell is still working means I even have power, which shuts off there if a duck farts. So fingers crossed tonight will be the worst of it and we can go home tomorrow. I feel lucky to have had this bunker to ride out the storm in with a/c, huge UPS and massive back up generators. Being a new TV facility built in 2008 means it has all the hurricane bells and whistles to make sure they stay safe and on the air.

I feel even luckier that so far nothing significant has happened.

Back
Top Bottom