The only radio station I listened to

Ol' Ken

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
killed off their nighly two hour jazz show. It was the only reason I still used my tuner.. Thanks CBC....

Jazz is being dropped in a lot of markets because during the quiet passages, the PPM encoding can be heard. That may, or may not, pertain to your situation - but it's happening.

The CBC replied stating that the host was going on to other things..... anyway I have a number of internet tuners and a smart TV with Vtuner, but it just doesn't sound the same as the high quality FM OTA the CBC is/was noted for.

KMOX and Jon Grayson have split and nighttime AM radio for a good part of this region has lost a great alternative to the usual suspects. No reason left to keep 'MOX in the lineup with their further reduction in quality broadcasting.

killed off their nighly two hour jazz show. It was the only reason I still used my tuner.. Thanks CBC....

Face it Ken,if you want something to be f**ked beyond all value,get the Canadian government involved.

Face it Ken,if you want something to be f**ked beyond all value,get the Canadian government involved.
Don't think it had anything to do with the gov't, more likely diminishing number of dedicated jazz fans. At any rate I'm looking at Bluesound Node 2 and Tidal/MQA. since my venerable SB3 has gone to meet it's maker..

i dont listen to radio at all anymore. the stations where i live dont play shit.
About 10 years ago i used to always lisiten to one station for a program they called "the hot mix at 9" which played all the new hip-hop type songs at the time at 9PM-10PM. i think 8 years ago they killed it off and today that station is saturated with Adele, Katy Perry, Shawn Mendes, Alessia Cara and who ever the names of the new people making all the new slow pop music that all the kids like. Not to be confused with Rap.

Where i live there's only a handful of stations.
92.1 - Classic rock, altho they just overplay the big bands from the 80's.
96.7 - Now called "hot AC" Used to be the station with the hot mix i liked.
97.7 - Classical
104.9 - Country
107.something - collage sports.
there's 2 or 3 purely talk stations but i have no idea what station number.

Maybe ill run a Pirate FM station...

i'm just getting into radio - i used to listen in the car, but the day of 5000-song usb sticks killed that, pretty much. anyway, now i've put an antenna on the balcony, and i've been playing with the tuner in my HTR - there are a lot of stations around here, it filled it's 40-station memory, mostly with crap, and then i had to hunt through the rest of the "dial" - there are about 10 stations that i have any interest in, #1 on the dial is 91.1 jazz fm

anyhow, the thing i like about it, is there's a very organic feel to it, you can hear the weather, sometimes, and the DJ is almost like having company, if he/she's any good.

You will find that classical and jazz FM stations are a dying breed. These radio stations have discovered that listeners prefer blathering talk radio to music. It's also much cheaper to program. I refuse to listen to local talk stations. It's a complete waste of time.

i think 8 years ago they killed it off and today that station is saturated with Adele, Katy Perry, Shawn Mendes, Alessia Cara and who ever the names of the new people making all the new slow pop music that all the kids like. Not to be confused with Rap.
I am in my late 60's and like "real" classic rock (65-80) and real jazz (50's-70's). I am NOT into classical. Unfortunately, unless you can convince millenials to suddenly like Miles Davis or Dave Bribeck, jazz will die as us older people die as well. Even the "classic rock" stations in my area drift heavily into the mid to late 80's music because they are trying to attract people who are not part of the Woodstock generation.

You will find that classical and jazz FM stations are a dying breed. These radio stations have discovered that listeners prefer blathering talk radio to music. It's also much cheaper to program. I refuse to listen to local talk stations. It's a complete waste of time.
So true and me too..

If you're looking for streaming jazz options, I highly recommend Radio Swiss Jazz - CD quality sound, classic jazz and blues as well as good European jazz bands, no commercials - just a 10 second RSJ identifier jingle about every 20 minutes. More details here.

In the past 10 - 15 years virtually all of the stations I loved have switched formats, mostly to SPORTS TALK (how many does a market need?), CONSERVATIVE TALK (1 is more than enough but there are at least 6 in this market) and MODERN COUNTRY (canned format usually). The station that played mostly rock and roll from the 50s and early 60s now plays "classic rock", again featuring the same bands and songs as all the other "classic rock" stations. The only jazz or bluegrass music I hear is played on KBOO-FM in Portland, an independent public station. The local PBS stations dropped probably 95% of their music programming and switched over to the BBC format, some of which is outstanding - some not so much. Classical music can only be found on low power stations out of Portland and Eugene, which is sad.

I listen to a lot of internet radio, which, despite its lack of high fidelity is better than nothing.

KMOX and Jon Grayson have split and nighttime AM radio for a good part of this region has lost a great alternative to the usual suspects. No reason left to keep 'MOX in the lineup with their further reduction in quality broadcasting.

Ahh, for the nights when Jim White was on. I think they stay alive now on the Cardinal broadcasts and Rush Limbaugh during the afternoons. Sad

That's a fact. KMOX is a shell of what it used to be. Locally I still listen to WSIE. Nearly all jazz all the time but I am 35+ miles from the station and really only get a good signal at night. I can listen during the day but only a couple of my tuners will bring in a reasonable signal. I have played with some various antenna options as well because I really enjoy that station. Need to pursue an outside the house solution.

Ahh, for the nights when Jim White was on. I think they stay alive now on the Cardinal broadcasts and Rush Limbaugh during the afternoons. Sad
That one and the other disinformation cash cows are keeping a number of mainly daytimer stations lit, a waste of watts during the long distance skip hours, evening to sunrise.
The departure of Don Wolff and "I Love Jazz!!" was another tragic loss at 'MOX. Hours of his sharing his extensive jazz record collection with States midwestern to East coast no more.

i dont listen to radio at all anymore. the stations where i live dont play shit.
About 10 years ago i used to always lisiten to one station for a program they called "the hot mix at 9" which played all the new hip-hop type songs at the time at 9PM-10PM. i think 8 years ago they killed it off and today that station is saturated with Adele, Katy Perry, Shawn Mendes, Alessia Cara and who ever the names of the new people making all the new slow pop music that all the kids like. Not to be confused with Rap.

Where i live there's only a handful of stations.
92.1 - Classic rock, altho they just overplay the big bands from the 80's.
96.7 - Now called "hot AC" Used to be the station with the hot mix i liked.
97.7 - Classical
104.9 - Country
107.something - collage sports.
there's 2 or 3 purely talk stations but i have no idea what station number.

You didn't say what cities these stations broadcast from? I live in Canton on the fringes of Cleveland (50 miles, 25 miles from Akron) but live in a one mile or so diameter depression so reception is poor and I don't have a big roof-top antenna. WKSU, the NPR station in Kent, is now mostly current events talk with a few hours of classical in the late evening. I actually find myself doing most of my Jazz listening in front of my computer with YouTube and my 3" speakers. My MR78 hasn't been turned on in months. After awhile you just enjoy the music and forget the fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom