Au 317, caps again...

Tfk31120

Hello Sansui lovers,

I just got an au 317, and when reading the recap threads (thanks to the members), the problem is with the 10000uf 50v ones when ordering the parts.

The panasonics THA are obsolete on Mouser, and Farnell finds a Kemet ALC10C103EC063 (10000uf, 63v).

Is it still possible to get a direct replacement cap? where to order?
Or should I order legged ones to make the job done?

Any suggestion would be helpfull.

Thanks, I hope I was easy to read and understood... if not, I'm sorry about that.
Pierre

Why does it need to be Panasonic THA?

Any cap that will fit the space, and be the same voltage & uF ratings will do the job

Why does it need to be Panasonic THA?

Any cap that will fit the space, and be the same voltage & uF ratings will do the job

The 317 has the added complexity of having four-pin caps fitted from the factory. Whilst two of the pins are for mounting/stability purposes, the + and - terminals are spaced quite widely, making the installation of your average 35mm snap-in cap with 10mm lead spacing quite challenging indeed.

The THAs are a 100% direct fit, hence why they are quite sought after for the 317.

I shoe-horned some Nichicon Gold Tunes into my 317 and this took some modification of the PCB, including cutting and isolating some traces and bridging them with wire. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Sorry for the tiny pic below (damn you photobucket!!) but the cap on the left is the Gold Tune with solder lugs, and the cap on the right is the original 317 filter cap.

Not only is the pin spacing different, but in the case of the Gold Tune, the solder lugs are also offset from the centerline of the cap.

gold tune 317.png

These are not 317 caps, but it shows the type of pin configuration that I'm referring to:

DSCF3521.jpg

Hello, many thanks for your help and replies.

After some readings and searches, the KEMET 10000uf,63v ALC10C103EC063 seems to be the" best actual" direct replacement in this amp.
22,5mm spacing, 4 pin, (sold in europe..!)
It just shows, as I understood, lower specs.

- Am I correct?
-Would it seriously downgrade the au317 sound quality? (I plan to use silmic II capacitors in the other places for the recap).

Pierre

The KEMET 10000uf 63v - ALC10C103EC063 are 40mm dia - the existing used on the AU-317 were 35mm dia - with only a few mm's between each other - These 4-pin Kemet's are a little too big diameter-wise

The KEMET 10000uf 63v - ALC10C103EC063 are 40mm dia - the existing used on the AU-317 were 35mm dia - with only a few mm's between each other - These 4-pin Kemet's are a little too big diameter-wise

Correct, 40mm diameter caps definitely won't fit.

I have a bunch of 40mm diameter Panasonics with the exact same pin configuration as the Kemets and they don't fit the 317.

Back
Top Bottom