Sansui 2000A

Ryanj52

I recently got into vintage audio gear, I picked up a pair of SP-200 speakers in very good condition and decided I wanted to try a Sansui receiver rather than yhe modern receiver i have been using. I picked up a Sansui 2000A yesterday that is in good condition with wood case all knobs are there no static in any of the knobs and it sounds great hooked up to the SP-200 Speakers. My only issue is most of the bulbs in the receiver are burnt, Aux, Phono 1 and Phone 2 work and the needle for the radio dial light up and that is it. How hard is it to change the bulbs? I saw some on ebay are they any good? I don't mind trying to change them, but will look for someone local to work on it also.

Thanks there is alot of good info on this site.

Download the service manual. Page 29 lists all the lamps and their power values in the right column as PL001 through PL012. There's also a PL013 shown on page seven. Page seven shows two of the lamps.

http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Sansui 2000A Service Manual.pdf

This schematic shows all the lamps on first page but it's upside down!

http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/userpics/10007/Sansui 2000A Schematic.pdf

It's not hard at all but there is an adjustment period reading schematic drawings. Zoom and screen rotation are your friends_:D

Last edited:
Ryan I just noticed that Service manual (2) is a much clearer and slightly larger version - take that one. The two lamp locations shown are now on page 8 but the list is still on page 29.

I actually find that changing the bulbs is a bit of a pita. They painted them into the sockets and some can be a bit tough to get free.

Thanks Dave! Are the LED bulbs on ebay worth trying?
It's a matter of personal taste. Some people like the fact that they generate less heat which is a very good thing and they like the look too. I'm one that finds their light too cold and clinical and the blue absolutely insipid. What is important is to get the same V and mA values. Make note of the part numbers for the lights listed in the manual as well as the electronic values of V and mA. The original part numbers will be a reference point for any new part number replacements and will also help get the right size/length/diameter/lamp type. If you don't match the V and mA values then you have to add or change components on the circuits with lights to maintain the proper current or else you create a new problem. Now you do math to get the right values of added parts. Extra work now.

It can be hard matching incandescent values to LED lights. Make note of the part numbers for the lights listed in the manual as well as the electronic values of V and mA. I prefer the original incandescent variety but you will never know without trying. I don't think the lights throw enough heat to worry about. So if you go LED and hate the look what then? Do it again? If you go incandescent with exact values matched it's a simple swap and it will look like it did when new and you only do it once.
I also think original replacement parts keep the value of the unit higher because it won't look messed with.
It's your call - maybe get both and play around?

Last edited:
Check with dgwojo for replacement bulbs. I have my own 2000a and also be aware that there's about 7 known noisy transistors in the unit that may need to be replaced.

Ah yeah you might say there's a list.
Here's a link to 18 pages (440 posts) related to the 2000A.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?search/8882598/&q=2000A&o=date&c[node]=39

Or you can click on Forums (blue tab at top left of any page) then scroll down to Audiokarma Manufacturers Forums. Find Exclusively Sansui and enter. Post your specific questions OR put 2000A in the search bar at top right of page and hit enter then start skimming through the 18 pages reading to find a relevant post to your query.

I would search and read first because not only has the issue probably been discussed but you could be creating a duplicate thread by asking a previously asked question thereby sucking up space. Added bonus is you will learn a truckload of other stuff about other issues concerning you receiver and resolved/fixed by experienced guys. Along the way you're likely to pick up a few tricks and discover various online parts sources like Mouser and PartsExpress. If you put your location into your avatar you may very well find an AKer near you that does the work and/or has parts or knows exactly where to get them or knows someone close to you who does.

Yeah it's a lot to read but hey the more you put into it the more you get out and very satisfying to know your gear. There's some great guys here willing to help once they see that you are willing to do your own research and work.
Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
Yup, read post #14. I forgot to quote you in that post and can't do it after I post it so to get your attention I had to post again to get the quote in.

Thanks I am reading some of it now, I would love to find someone local who can service it, I will update my info.

Thanks Dave

the paint can be dissolved with solvent and a q tip. MEK works, but stinks and evaporates fast, acetone {like nail polish remover} might work too.
Be careful with solvents, highly flammable. Not good for your lungs

So I ordered my bulbs this week and I now have a new issue. Last night i left the receiver on all night, I turned the CD player off and left the room. When i went in this morning i could hear static and a chirping noise coming out of both speakers one side more than the other, the receiver is still working but now definitely needs service. What would cause this?

Have you replaced the 2SC458s yet? This all sounds familiar... I wouldn't call what I heard a chirping but definite pulsing static/rushing noise. Started being noticeable for me after doing the exact same thing; I forgot to turn it off because it was on a low rack and I couldn't see the orange "AUX" light.

Back
Top Bottom