Which would you choose: ADS, Infinity or Dahlquist?

Yggdrasill

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
This question is partly hypothetical. There are three pairs of speakers local to me, all in excellent condition electrically and cosmetically, all the same reasonable price. Each is a well-regarded three-way speaker: The ADS L710, the Dahlquist DQM9, and the Infinity Kappa 6. I would love to hear the community's thoughts on their relative merits.

I have heard the L710 - used to own a pair - and they are ridiculously capable speakers. I also once had a pair of similar vintage 2-way Infinity, the RSe with a similar EMIT. I did a review of those a long while back, side by side against a pair of ADS L400 (large version). While I found the ADS much better balanced in the mid range, due I think to the crossover points on the drivers, I really liked the clarity and extension of the EMIT. I suspect that the Kappa 6 would not suffer the same mid-range gap as a three way. But I don't know.

I have never heard any Dahlquists, but many good things about them. How would these compare in terms of sound, power requirements, listening levels, and capriciousness of placement?

The L710 and DQM9 should be in your house... NOW.

Those are some of the best vintage I know of, period.

I do not know the Kappa 6.

I have DQ-20's and ADS 730's in my living room, I'm sure you'd be happy with the Dahlquist's or ADS's, Haven't heard the Kappa's either.

I tend to agree. I've heard the DQ -10's which were outstanding, and I love my ADS's.
I've heard some Infinities as well which were also very good. Possible to go audition all before you buy?

Last edited:
Gotta listen, but do be sure to listen to the Dahlquist. While the DQ-10, DQ-12 etc get most of the Dahlquist attention, the M line is damn good.

The L710 and DQM9 should be in your house... NOW.

Those are some of the best vintage I know of, period.

I do not know the Kappa 6.

Hey, Blaine. Ha, if my wife were as forgiving as yours, and my basement as large, I would get both! I'm most curious about the sound difference between the Dahlquist and ADS, because I have some sense of the Infinity sound.

They say the toughest choices are when they're all good.

Kappas have amazingly smooth midrange, and probably the deepest bass of the three, but as swechsler notes, the midrange drivers are known to deteriorate and are hard to find.
ADS 710's will always remind you that the sound is coming from the speaker, but from a very good speaker. Good overall balance for a moderate amplifier
Dahlquist DQM9s will have the most spaciousness around the sound, but will require the most amplification (second to the Kappas in needs).

I've had two of the three models just above these (7 Kappas, and DQ-10's), and the Dahlquists are the ones that I've had at play for the past year.

I have the L-710s and the DQ-10s. The ADS are better balanced with better bass in my opinion. The Dahlquists do have an airy sparkle that is awesome, but need a subwoofer for sure.

Back
Top Bottom