Ok my fellow Floridian`s, how about checking in to let us know how your doing

Luckily for me, my house is a bit higher than the surrounding area.

Our house is on high ground also. Our problem is, we have a giant, old tree, 20ft. from our front door. And Irma decided to turn right towards us.
Some of the news of St. Augustine looked like you had some pretty serious flooding. At least,near the Lion's Bridge. Take care, man.

Our house is on high ground also. Our problem is, we have a giant, old tree, 20ft. from our front door. And Irma decided to turn right towards us.
Some of the news of St. Augustine looked like you had some pretty serious flooding. At least,near the Lion's Bridge. Take care, man.

I have a few big oak trees in my yard too. They are pretty to look at, but I always worry about them falling on the house during these storms.

Downtown St Aug has some flooding issues. When we were driving around earlier the city police already had some flooded streets blocked off.

A few blocks down the road from me, closer to the water, there were boats in the road last year from Matthew. Some of those people just finished working on their houses from that storm.

Hopefully we get spared from the big storm surge this year. Looks like since it is coming from the other side of the state it won't be as bad.

Take care also man

Hey Bill, sounds like you got your place set and your hunkered down. Sorry you all have to go though this crazy storm and I'v been staying pinned to the news and other floridians. A thread was started Monday here if you want to find out what other locals and members that where in the path.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ave-us-in-florida-from-hurricane-irma.786668/
Thanks 4-2-7, just got back to my computer..
Was watching Key Largo DVD w/ BIL(his selection--weather based theme !!)
~10:00 PM utility power failed and am on generator..
After resetting a few devices that became confused during the blipping prior to full utility failure, all is operational at this time..
I tried your link, but received a AK error, so no dice Sir.

Thanks for the compliment about my setup & concern about our wellbeing 4-2-7..

Kind regards, OKB

All is well here at the school shelter here in Brooksville. They are even feeding everyone. Cindy gets the big air mattress and I get the swimming pool air mattress. I'm right by the outlet on the east side and I get to meet everyone charging their phones. Irma looks like it is breaking itself up South of Tampa. It is Cat 2 now. We will make it fine.

Glad to hear all is well KingBubba..

Kind regards, OKB

Anyone in the Vero Beach area? Good news for the SE Coast of FL is that previous years of recent hurricane activity swept away old out-dated junk electrical distribution, and replaced it with modern hurricane friendly rebuilds....like massive concrete poles, vice wooden on the main power electrical feeder lines. This makes for easier and faster repairs to the local residential areas. Unfortunately, the west coast of FL will have to grin and bear it, as the old wreckage is removed and rebuit to modern standards. Best wishes to all as being without power, not fun.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim.. I was hoping MannyE would check in, if he could, because I read yesterday or Friday that he was not far from the water and intended to bail, and I don`t blame him one bit living in Miami..

Hey guys! All is well. Thankfully we are able to complain about not getting access, spending one more night at the bunker...etc. All good stuff. The worst thing is no power which is absolutely no problem. Our friends down in the Keys have real problems. Hopefully I'll be able to get home, clean up and head down there ASAP to help in any way I can.

Hey guys! All is well. Thankfully we are able to complain about not getting access, spending one more night at the bunker...etc. All good stuff. The worst thing is no power which is absolutely no problem. Our friends down in the Keys have real problems. Hopefully I'll be able to get home, clean up and head down there ASAP to help in any way I can.
Very good MannyE, AM GLAD YOUR OK Sir.

NE FL... you should be well clear of the effects!. He asked hopefully. Even a TS is no fun to endure.
Pretty windy here with over 7" rain, and I`m on generator for now..
Could be worse !!
Not really complaining, just stating facts as they are.. I`m grateful for what I have..

Wow...that's a lot of rain. Hoping you get out of it soon! I'm still worried I won't have a screen room when I get home, but meh... it's just things. More important that we had this excellent bunker to stay in that was so secure we seriously could not even hear the hurricane! We could see it, but not hear it.

Ok folks, I`m spent and clocking out for now..
Been going strong since 5:00AM !!
I`m grateful for all Floridians who`ve checked in and are doing well..
And all the AK`ers that are concerned about our plight by expressing it..

Take care & be safe...
Very warm regards to all, OKB

Last edited:
Praying for you.

Used to have an Aunt who lived by Sarasota. Visited many times in the winter.

Sadly she passed 5 years ago.

I have a few big oak trees in my yard too. They are pretty to look at, but I always worry about them falling on the house during these storms.

Downtown St Aug has some flooding issues. When we were driving around earlier the city police already had some flooded streets blocked off.

A few blocks down the road from me, closer to the water, there were boats in the road last year from Matthew. Some of those people just finished working on their houses from that storm.

Hopefully we get spared from the big storm surge this year. Looks like since it is coming from the other side of the state it won't be as bad.

Take care also man

Curious, are people rebuilding with stick or is there anyone building with reinforced concrete type homes? Has building codes changed?
On many islands (where I'm from) we build homes out of cinder block with reinforced rebar and the second floor is concrete too. Too many hurricanes. A friend is retiring to the Philippines and is in the process of having everything built from concrete.

If you were to build a new house today in FL, it would withstand(windwise) everything but the eyewall of a monster hurricane. The foundations and roofs have extra tiedowns, block walls, aerodynamic or steel roofs, armored car worthy impact resistant glass or hurricane shutters.. However, one still has to be wary of flood waters, so newer homes are built on dirt mounds elevating them. It's mostly older housing that have problems, but not all, some were built like brick you know whats. Engineers can easily design buildings for massive storms, like they do with the skyscrapers.

+1 to what Remington700 said. Many buildings in FL are built to withstand hurricanes, especially commercial buildings. Some of the new schools, which are being used as shelters right now, can withstand a cat 5 hurricane.

Many new houses are typical stick construction, and are weaker than their block companions. They do incoporate things like rods from the top plate down into the foundation, and then clips from the top plate onto the trusses to try to keep the roof from blowing off.

They are currently building hundreds of new homes in St Augustine that are of stick construction. Big cookie cutter neighborhoods. There has been a demand for new homes here, mostly for people who commute to work in Jax.

I live in an older home (for FL lol) that was built in 1980. It is concrete block construction. We do feel a little safer having the block walls. And it also seems to keep it cooler in the summer.

The wind is blowing pretty hard outside now. I can hear stuff flying around out there. Can't see a damn thing through the plywood on the windows:)

+1 to what Remington700 said. Many buildings in FL are built to withstand hurricanes, especially commercial buildings. Some of the new schools, which are being used as shelters right now, can withstand a cat 5 hurricane.

Many new houses are typical stick construction, and are weaker than their block companions. They do incoporate things like rods from the top plate down into the foundation, and then clips from the top plate onto the trusses to try to keep the roof from blowing off.

They are currently building hundreds of new homes in St Augustine that are of stick construction. Big cookie cutter neighborhoods. There has been a demand for new homes here, mostly for people who commute to work in Jax.

I live in an older home (for FL lol) that was built in 1980. It is concrete block construction. We do feel a little safer having the block walls. And it also seems to keep it cooler in the summer.

The wind is blowing pretty hard outside now. I can hear stuff flying around out there. Can't see a damn thing through the plywood on the windows:)

Blowing heavy here too, with over 13"`s of rainfall :eek: here since Sat. as indicated on my Davis WX station..
Radar loop imagery shows rainfall ending very soon in our area.

Waiting on daylight to see what has happed outside. I`m blind too, with my shutters up, as well.
I`ve been on generator since 10:00PM last night..
Do you still have power Sir. ??

Well !! at least Jose fizzled out, so there appears there`s no threat from that guy.. :thumbsup:

Hang in there eliptopus :beerchug:

Kind regards, OKB

We made it through OK in Ocala. Lots of folks without power, some trees down, but it seems like no major damage.

Back
Top Bottom