What could be improved in the audio world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patate91

What do you think could or should be improved in the audio/music world. And more importantly what's your solutions?

For me I would say that we need more objective informations (I know some if you see that coming). Subjectivity is good, some people are artists when they write, but I think we have enough, if not too much, but that's my opinion.

As cheesy as it may sound knowledge is the key, the more we are "eductated" and crititcal the more we'll get quality. And it applies to our life in general.

Music is a good thing for us. One day I heard someone says about his job in the 70 : We really thought that we were saving the world with music. I do beleive music is part if the equation.
I think we deserve quality music, not just disposable, a la carte, music. Again the more we know the more our standards will be higher.

I hope the anwsers will remain constructives, positive or not.

Yan

After spending a lot of time rebuilding my library this week, and finding a workable Linux-based alternative to iTunes, I would say for me the #1 thing the audio world needs is software that's a quantum leap beyond iTunes. What started out "not too bad" has become pretty awful. I like using cheap i devices as portable players to supplement my phone but organizing and maintaining my library is very time-consuming. I lost about nine months of recent rips because my library had thousands of duplicated titles due to library corruption, and I tried to do a batch delete file command - my bad, but the problem started with the software. I am using Spotify more and more, it's true, but that can't replace my library, particularly all of the jazz that I listen to most that's not in their catalogue. I am budget minded, it's true - I'm sure if I was willing to throw a lot of money at the problem, there are options out there - but I think there's an open door for a truly great cross-OS solution and replacement to the mess that iTunes has become. (Just for context, I am an "all media" guy - still have a lot of vinyl, CDs, even cassettes - but at work, digital is how I roll.)

Pretty sure the OP is talking about music and the artistic quality of it and not the delivery means we are able to control?

Well all I know is we have well over100 years of recorded music history and 1000s of years of handed down music that in turn has been recorded. This evolution continues on today so I don't see a change at all.

If one can't find enough music to listen to that one likes, one need to put more effort looking I guess.

I agree with J English.

Would love to see the computer manufacturers make a computer strictly for audio listening.

I agree with J English.

Would love to see the computer manufacturers make a computer strictly for audio listening.

We already have MP3 players, iPod, etc.

I think he was saying that we need a good software, bug free, that can be use with your phone, computer, tv, watch, iPod, and whatever they create with no issue. I think the problem here is : Apple has a great tool for music, but Apple is "close", and hardware or OS are decided by them, not us.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the OP is talking about music and the artistic quality of it and not the delivery means we are able to control

I would say both, they are closely related. Change one the other will change too I guess.

But I agree that today we have access to countless of good music, bands and ideas. I think that's the kind of things we should keep : the ability the give the opportiny to express our creativity and let people choose.

We already have MP3 players, iPod, etc.

I think he was saying that we need a good software, bug free, that can be use with your phone, computer, tv, watch, iPod, and whatever they create with nous issue. I think the problem here is : Apple has a great tool for music, but Apple is "close", and hardware or OS are decided by them, not us.
So the OP talked about the music and artist, what does that have to do with delivery?

Or is this a open thread to rant about dislikes?
As far as what you just stated above, that's a oxymoron as the computer world is constantly changing and will alway have glitches and incompatibility from last weeks model and hacker.

After spending a lot of time rebuilding my library this week, and finding a workable Linux-based alternative to iTunes, I would say for me the #1 thing the audio world needs is software that's a quantum leap beyond iTunes. What started out "not too bad" has become pretty awful. I like using cheap i devices as portable players to supplement my phone but organizing and maintaining my library is very time-consuming. I lost about nine months of recent rips because my library had thousands of duplicated titles due to library corruption, and I tried to do a batch delete file command - my bad, but the problem started with the software. I am using Spotify more and more, it's true, but that can't replace my library, particularly all of the jazz that I listen to most that's not in their catalogue. I am budget minded, it's true - I'm sure if I was willing to throw a lot of money at the problem, there are options out there - but I think there's an open door for a truly great cross-OS solution and replacement to the mess that iTunes has become. (Just for context, I am an "all media" guy - still have a lot of vinyl, CDs, even cassettes - but at work, digital is how I roll.)

You may try Roon. They have good metadata base. Also next time you rip CD, make sure that all metadata fields in flac files are populated. It will allow quickly rebuild library in case of database corruption. Also, as usually with computers, do not forget about periodic backups.

So the OP talked about the music and artist, what does that have to do with delivery?

Or is this a open thread to rant about dislikes?
As far as what you just stated above, that's a oxymoron as the computer world is constantly changing and will alway have glitches and incompatibility from last weeks model and hacker.

The goal is to hear what are your solutions to what you think is an issue. Rant is fun, but what would do If you can get involved in the process (and yes your are involved)

Right. There are a lot of decent playback options, but the software is what's lagging. Just for instance, one of the most awful things in iTunes is the giant "compilations" sinkhole. If an album has more than one artist in the metadata, or I think even on one individual song, it gets thrown in there. One ought to be able to control that or correct the metadata at the time of import, in an easier way.

As to music in general - I do think there is more availability and variety than ever before - and cheap options too so everyone can enjoy, pretty much. When I think how uniform and tight things were when I grew up in the 60s - no comparison. The large music companies controlled the product pipe and that was it.

I do think two aspects at least are worse - 1) the cost of live concerts, and 2) artists getting paid for their work. The two are partially related. As "hard" sales have become more elusive, concert prices rise and artists have to become a little more mercinary just to earn a living. That's an unfortunate by-product of the new "everything is available and everything is good" digital age...

actually the art of music really has nothing to do with the way it's delivered after it's recorded if in fact it's recorded.

It depends if the artist, search for Bjork lastest album.

But that's not the goal of the thread what's your solutions/ideas for what you consider is an issue.

Right. There are a lot of decent playback options, but the software is what's lagging. Just for instance, one of the most awful things in iTunes is the giant "compilations" sinkhole. If an album has more than one artist in the metadata, or I think even on one individual song, it gets thrown in there. One ought to be able to control that or correct the metadata at the time of import, in an easier way.

iTunes isn't the only music player program that doesn't handle compilations well. Neither does JRiver Media Jukebox. Foobar, Media Monkey, Nightingale and Music Bee all handle compilations properly.

I can say is what worked for me :) ... less objective and more subjective information.

So what's your solutions? More forums, more blog, more advertisment, more magazine?

Maybe It could be good thing to have a forum or a forum's section dedicated to subjective statements, all objective and rational statements would be ban. It could be an interesting project but not for me. Please informe me if it happen.

We need to visualize the steps to audio nirvana, with "Audiophile" being pretty low down there. Putting education matched with experience more towards the top.

What could be improved?

Less reliance on subjective and anecdotal reports, and more application of scientific skepticism and the scientific method, including making an effort to separate acoustics from psychoacoustics.

By this, I'm not suggesting everyone conduct double-blind, rigorous, peer-reviewed lab-quality experiments, but anyone can easily conduct simple blind tests in their own home and they're a fun way to find out what really makes an audible difference.

What could be improved?

Less spinning plastic and other mechanical and analog reproduction, and more (even more) streaming and downloadable, high quality, uncompressed, digital distribution. Ideally -- per my suggestion above -- straight from artist to listeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom