Looking for CD of Standards

mcgarick

Greetings!

I'm in search of an audiophile CD or two, of standards. like nature boy, Stardust...sung by great singers. Preferably female....

I enjoy the trio format ,but consider others too. I would like to get a mix of singers if possible.

Something like Radka Toneff's, My funny valentine. You can YouTube it to hear.. I don't think I'm allowed a link.

Thanks ahead of time!

There's an outstanding Smithsonian collection called American Popular Song that has it all IMO. It's more that two CDs, but it's all choice ( the best singers and songs).

Famous_Blue_Raincoat.jpg

Quoting the OP here - "...sung by great singers".

So I guess I won't suggest "Triplicate" by Bob Dylan... :rflmao:

Linda Ronstadt recorded three albums with Nelson Riddle that might fit your request. She was of course the only vocalist on those.
Great suggestion, the 3 album set is available on a 2cd compilation called Round Midnight.

Check out the "Songbook" series by Ella Fitzgerald, still the (vocals) benchmark by which the American jazz standards are to be judged.

That's a very good suggestion; another one, who's not as well known, might be Jimmy Scott.

Mosiac Records has a box set by Rosemary Clooney and i believe its cds. They use original masters for their box sets. Check their web page for info.

Quoting the OP here - "...sung by great singers".

So I guess I won't suggest "Triplicate" by Bob Dylan... :rflmao:

But I will, along with Mr Z's "American Songbook" debut album Shadows In The Night (2015) and the follow-up album Fallen Angels (2016). I have and listen to all three of 'em.

For a @ times more folksy and contemporary "American Songbook" experience, there is also the American Songs series of albums by Johnny Cash to consider. So much excellent material scattered across those five or six LPs.

But I will, along with Mr Z's "American Songbook" debut album Shadows In The Night (2015) and the follow-up album Fallen Angels (2016). I have and listen to all three of 'em.

For a @ times more folksy and contemporary "American Songbook" experience, there is also the American Songs series of albums by Johnny Cash to consider. So much excellent material scattered across those five or six LPs.

I own those and listen to them as well, but I'd never consider Mr. Z a "great singer". I dig Johnny Cash, but same comment applies. These dudes are cool, and are real icons of American music. Their interpretations of songs can be revealling and meaningful. Great singers? Nope.

My son is a jazz guitar student and he's trying to learn standards. I told him to check out the Ella interpretation first and learn the words and emotions/meaning behind the tune. Anybody playing those tunes knows the Ella version, most likely.

What he likes to do is to go on Tidal and search "Have You Seen Miss Jones" or whatever and listen to 20 versions. Some songs have 50 versions right at your fingertips. Amazing tool for musical education.

I'd recommend Mark Murphy and Billy Eckstine for cool male vocal interpretations of many standard songbook tunes. I also like Al Hibbler a lot but some might think he is over stylized at times...I do anyway.

I own those and listen to them as well, but I'd never consider Mr. Z a "great singer". I dig Johnny Cash, but same comment applies. These dudes are cool, and are real icons of American music. Their interpretations of songs can be revealling and meaningful. Great singers? Nope.

I would call Cash a great, even tremendous, singer.

I couldn't disagree more - Johnny Cash was a great singer.

Last edited:
Frank Sinatra's ~ In The Wee Small Hours ~ is a wonderful album.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom