2105 owners I need some help

zappafan2

Hey guys bought a 2105 that was completely recapped by an authorized factory tech, I am have some intermittent connection issues I am chasing down. My question though is it normal to see my speakers drivers pulsate when unit is powered on? I have heard a low thump a couple times as well, amp on last amp off first and have heard nothing when powering off. I have been in contact with the owner of the shop and he assures me that his tech said this is normal on this amp, he has been very cool about my issues and wants to work it out if we can. I still have time for a refund if don't get issues solved, the amp sounds great when I am not having the occasional connection problem. I would appreciate any advice you guys have to offer thanks in advance.

Se your other thread for a response to the pulsating on turn on.

As for the intermittent issues, suspect the Speaker ON/OFF switch. If you exercise the switch when you lose a channel, it'll likely come back. I've owned a half dozen MC2105s over the years and this is a common issue. FWIW, I believe that McIntosh does still offer this switch. Sometimes you simply can't clean these switches well enough and a replacement is the long term fix.

Se your other thread for a response to the pulsating on turn on.

As for the intermittent issues, suspect the Speaker ON/OFF switch. If you exercise the switch when you lose a channel, it'll likely come back. I've owned a half dozen MC2105s over the years and this is a common issue. FWIW, I believe that McIntosh does still offer this switch. Sometimes you simply can't clean these switches well enough and a replacement is the long term fix.
It is the speaker on/off switch I figured it out when it went out tonight thanks damacman

The 2105 is a very simple amplifier which is what makes it so good, I'd be done with it and order a new switch, at least there's no relay or ridiculous and temperamental protection circuit.
Its straight in, and straight out!!
The thump, I had an issue with this on a MC250 I rebuilt, it ended up to be some of the values I chose for the new caps in the power supply, I thought I'd get rid of a bit more ripple and smooth out the power supply a bit more, but when it was turned on the extra inrush and charge time used to make it thump, so I put everything back to factory and it was all good.....

The 2105 is a very simple amplifier which is what makes it so good, I'd be done with it and order a new switch, at least there's no relay or ridiculous and temperamental protection circuit.
Its straight in, and straight out!!
The thump, I had an issue with this on a MC250 I rebuilt, it ended up to be some of the values I chose for the new caps in the power supply, I thought I'd get rid of a bit more ripple and smooth out the power supply a bit more, but when it was turned on the extra inrush and charge time used to make it thump, so I put everything back to factory and it was all good.....
Well I have decided to return the amp for a refund, when powering it on the last few days it has developed a buzz, I know for sure this is not normal. The seller has been great and offered me some different options but for the coin I spent on a completely recapped unit I dont feel I should be having to take it to shops to get it worked on. I am going to do what I should have done all along and that is get the refund and call Audio Classics. Kevzep I do have a ? AC has a 2205 and a 2105 for the same money and the same grade, B 1 what would be your thoughts and anyone else who cares to chime in. Thanks guys for all your help

Buying from Audio Classics is your safest bet. Their service and support are second to none and will guarantee the unit for a year.

If they're the same money and condition, I would tilt toward the MC2205 which is a generation newer. . Meter function is more versatile, and it has Power Guard which protects your speakers from clipping and twice as powerful. A B1 MC2205 from Audio Classics is the closest thing to mint condition you can find.

Well I have decided to return the amp for a refund, when powering it on the last few days it has developed a buzz, I know for sure this is not normal. The seller has been great and offered me some different options but for the coin I spent on a completely recapped unit I dont feel I should be having to take it to shops to get it worked on. I am going to do what I should have done all along and that is get the refund and call Audio Classics. Kevzep I do have a ? AC has a 2205 and a 2105 for the same money and the same grade, B 1 what would be your thoughts and anyone else who cares to chime in. Thanks guys for all your help

I can only say what I would do, but I would go for the MC2205, I own one and have done for about 6 years now, it was a chance buy off ebay, it turned up damaged, so I had to replace the glass, its not been restored, the only thing I have done to it is replace the speaker relay.
It is very reliable, plenty of power, and I like the sound of it, pairs up well with the C33 I have too.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if you're making the right decision with this particular amplifier. You have however dipped your feet in the water so you know just how good it feels.

As for the MC2205 vs. the MC2105, I'll be the odd duck here. I prefer the MC2105 all day long - always have. The MC2205 is one amplifier in the McIntosh lineup that I've never been super excited with. With the MC2105, you get the pinnacle of what McIntosh was when the amplifier was introduced, the best of the best. For several years, it simply did not get any better. MC2105s were owned by celebrities, used in studios, and even at Woodstock - and for very good reason.

The MC2205 was the very first McIntosh amplifier to feature Power Guard. So what? I've owned just as many McIntosh amplifiers with Power Guard as I have without. Quite simply, Power Guard allows you to enjoy a higher average listening level when comparing to a similar powered amplifier that doesn't have it. [I never missed this with the MC2505 or MC2105.] The MC2205 has the first gen Power Guard, which I've always felt a tad over zealous. Fortunately, it does include a rear panel switch that allows you to defeat it should you choose. But that's never been my real beef with the MC2205 as it's a fine sounding amplifier indeed. My beefs are:

- The MC2205 does not have the ability to be operated in mono into an 8 Ohm load. It lacks the 16 Ohm taps required to do so on this generation of Mc amp. [Oddly enough, the smaller MC2125 includes them - never understood that.]
- The design of the MC2205 faceplate is a flawed one. Look only at the MC2205 STEREO POWER AMPLIFIER lettering under the power meters to see. In 90% of cases, some of this lettering is dull as it has been pulled away from the glass on the rear of the faceplate via the double sided tape that holds the blue plexi pieces to the rear of the glass.
- The black plastic meter bezel has never been to my liking. In many cases, when folks replace the glass (see above), they leave this off - gives the amp a more modern look. [So, this can be considered a non-issue.]
- the MC2205 is not a value proposition in the world of used McIntosh. Given what they sell for, there are many far better buys - the MC7270 being the finest example. For just a few dollars more, an MC7270 will run circles around the MC2205.

Now, just because the MC2205 isn't my favorite doesn't mean that you wouldn't enjoy the hell out of it should you get one. It's just my opinion. I've owned about the same number of MC2205s as I have MC2105s. IMHO, there's just something magical about the MC2105 that you don't get in a McIntosh amplifier until you go to the MC7270. Hard to explain really.

So, you have a contrasting opinion. Although I did elect to sell my last MC2105 a few years ago, I still do have a pair of it's larger siblings - the MC2300s - so I still do have that sound!

Thanks guys lots to think about, the B1 2105 sold at AC they do have a C1. I am really in no hurry have to wait till i get my refund anyway, seller has not contacted me about shipping back, I believe he is a little upset with me for not taking it somewhere. I can not worry about that if it was completely mint I probably would but the back chrome is not in the best shape and not real happy with the LED lights they are a bit dull.

Back
Top Bottom