Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

McIntosh MA 5100 Preamp-Amplifier "There is one channel not working"

$99 at an estate sale this morning... I was #2 in line (5:45am) and three of the first five in line were vying for it. Its in pristine condition with original owners manual and acrylic mounting template; somebody really loved this thing... little wonder. SCROE!!!

IMG_0340.JPG

Mcintosh MA 5100 Preamp-Amplifier "There is one channel not working"

$99 at an estate sale this morning... I was #2 in line (5:45am) and three of the first five in line were vying for it. Its in pristine condition with original owners manual and acrylic mounting template; somebody really loved this thing... little wonder. SCROE!!!

View attachment 1001688

$99 McIntoch scores? :yikes: That alter-universe must be nice. I certainly wouldn't know.

$99 McIntoch scores? :yikes: That alter-universe must be nice. I certainly wouldn't know.

Couldn't believe it myself... originally saw the sale listing and was eyeing a sweet Nakamichi LX-3 and then stumbled upon the photo of the McIntosh late last night (not completely sober by the way). Got up early and got VERY lucky with this...

McIntosh MA 5100 Preamp-Amplifier "There is one channel not working"

View attachment 1001688

The early Bird gets the Mc.
Even for a chance at a Mc I would not not be able to get up that early.
I am a late starter and night owl as well.

Some nice CD pickups this morning at a local sale heavy on the double discs all for $10.

Beatles - White Album (2CD)
JJ Cale - The Anthology (2CD)
Eric Clapton - Backtrackin' (2CD W Germany)
Jerry Garcia Band - Jerry Garcia Band (2CD)
Paul McCartney - Tripping The Live Fantastic (2CD)
Van Morrison - It's Too Late To Stop Now (2CD)
Rolling Stones - Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (CBS)
Rolling Stones - Some Girls (CBS)
Rush - Chronicles (2CD)
Saunders, Garcia, Kahn, Vitt - Keystone Encores
Saunders, Garcia, Kahn, Vitt - Live At Keystone, Vol. 2
Yes - Yessongs (2CD)

I picked up this NAD 3155 last week for $30. I knew the preamp had failed but the power amp was ok. I had something in mind for the power amp anyway but still wanted to see if I could fix it. Turns out it was 1 bad solder joint which I found by a visual inspection around a hot spot on the pc board. A one second touch with the iron and it's fine!

20170909_122839.jpg

I picked up this NAD 3155 last week for $30. I knew the preamp had failed but the power amp was ok. I had something in mind for the power amp anyway but still wanted to see if I could fix it. Turns out it was 1 bad solder joint which I found by a visual inspection around a hot spot on the pc board. A one second touch with the iron and it's fine!

View attachment 1001775

Oh, and now I think I will go back (It's an ongoing sale) and grab the NAD tuner I expect will still be there. Betcha I get it for $10. ;)

Gotta love the Fantastic Four. I just wish they would make a decent bloody movie about them ! How come they managed pretty well with modern incarnations of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and The Avengers but still suck with Spider-Man and the FF ?

Couldn't believe it myself... originally saw the sale listing and was eyeing a sweet Nakamichi LX-3 and then stumbled upon the photo of the McIntosh late last night (not completely sober by the way). Got up early and got VERY lucky with this...
How did you beat the other two guys to it? Just curious.

Had this delivered tonight, a Yamaha CR-620. $50 is pretty fair I think. It even still has the "Reserved for Yamaha Orthodynamic Headphones" plaque/headphone jack plug AND I just happen to have recently acquired a pair of Yamaha HP-3 Orthodynamic phones for free.

View attachment 999985

It looks a lot better now. Cleaned inside and out plus LEDs now replace the burnt out meter and tuning pointer lamps. :)

20170910_182025.jpg 20170910_182047.jpg 20170910_180735.jpg

I hit the flea this morning with another audio hound. Got some records and a really clean Realistic STA-870 receiver.
15050949531751230165281.jpg
IMG_20170910_122511464.jpg

On my way home I did a little free stylin' (just hitting sales on my way). I stopped at a sale and there wasn't much. I was about to leave when the husband walks out, I asked if he had any old stereos or records. He said "yeah, in the basement, you wanna check it out?"
Yes, yes I would. I dug this out of there for $9. He said it worked when they put it away, well maybe not. No sound on testing, both speaker fuses were blown. I put in a couple new fuses and she's working fine. Needed to be cleaned badly and 2 dial lamps are out. I moved the good lamps to the center so the illumination is more even.

Onkyo TX-2500 as found:
IMG_20170910_114752325.jpg

After cleaning, came out nice.

IMG_20170910_214716734.jpg

There have been a few local estate sales with nice vintage audio but I never go to them. I've heard they can get really ugly when there are 3 or 4 flippers vying for a few high value items. There are some who have "moles" and know exactly where the stuff is even before the day of the sale. That puts everyone else at a disadvantage. It's not worth the stress.

Back
Top Bottom