What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

The jazz thread was where I first started posting in the music forums. Great bunch of guys over there. But damn, Jazz vinyl is expensive. Cd's too. Had to slow down. Now I think I'm a whole different boat. Here's to you guys:beerchug:

I hear you on that. In case you hadn't noticed I stopped posting on the Jazz thread. It was for exactly that reason. Too much temptation...

Was wondering why you guys stopped posting in the jazz thread. You both where posting great stuff. Is jazz really that expensive ? To me it's cheaper than other genres but can get expensive. I have a limit of about 15-20 per record. If it where more than that it would have to be quite special. The most I have paid for one record is 40 for my two Music Matters pressings. (40 each) Most jazz and any other records I buy are less than 10. I don't really seek out original or early pressings. I mainly pay attention to whats on the album and it's condition. But if one is going for early pressings and originals I can see it getting that way. Especially these days.

CD's range from a dollar to 10-15 for new if it's something I really want. I try not to spend more than 50-100 each month.

IMG_20170911_184941.jpg

It's a custom cover, a bit too thick. 1/2" ply, should be 3/8". Simple to make and fasten.

:) looks stock in the pix. I'd never seen one prior. I know the AR receiver had the enclosure. I've had my eye on one for some time, the guy is asking a bit to much for the amp, I've seen them go for less on eBay but who knows... I may just give in..

Kind Regards,
John

Was wondering why you guys stopped posting in the jazz thread. You both where posting great stuff. Is jazz really that expensive ? To me it's cheaper than other genres but can get expensive. I have a limit of about 15-20 per record. If it where more than that it would have to be quite special. The most I have paid for one record is 40 for my two Music Matters pressings. (40 each) Most jazz and any other records I buy are less than 10. I don't really seek out original or early pressings. I mainly pay attention to whats on the album and it's condition. But if one is going for early pressings and originals I can see it getting that way. Especially these days.

CD's range from a dollar to 10-15 for new if it's something I really want. I try not to spend more than 50-100 each month.
Nope that's not why I stopped posting there. It's because anything goes here. Old members, newbies,country,rock,jazz, today even music from Iceland. There's even pictures of feet:rflmao:

:) looks stock in the pix. I'd never seen one prior. I know the AR receiver had the enclosure. I've had my eye on one for some time, the guy is asking a bit to much for the amp, I've seen them go for less on eBay but who knows... I may just give in..

Kind Regards,
John
Just keep in mind that they are very old, will need servicing and recap. There were several mods required due to faulty bias pots, among other things. Once updated, quite reliable, and classy looking.

Just daydreaming about a tube amplifier. All started because Dwight Yoakam sounded good through my tube buffer.
View attachment 1003136
Like my homemade set up for the chinese buffer pre? The transformer is in the box perforated for heat. 1/4" alum. plate base. Even installed rubber feet on the bottom and a toggle switch on the back to turn it off and on. I guess being a commercial Union Glazier for 30 years paid off. Aluminum scrap all over the place.:biggrin:
What tubes are you using in your buffer ? I have the same one and added some GE 5670's which opened things up compared to the stock tubes.

Kind Regards,
John
Just consider the fact that the CL one is local and you can see, feel & hear it in person and there's no shipping cost or shipping damage etc. Could be worth a little premium for that, and then there's always a chance of bargaining with the guy. IDK but it's worth looking into.

Just keep in mind that they are very old, will need servicing and recap. There were several mods required due to faulty bias pots, among other things. Once updated, quite reliable, and classy looking.

That's not a problem for me, I've recapped a few now.. most are documented on AK.

the one that was a pain was the Marantz 250, the T066s were a pain to track down....

Kind Regards,
John

This thread has dragged me into the poor house, I keep seeing the cool tunes posted here and then I gots to get 'em for myself. :) The jazz thread is even harder on my wallet. :rolleyes:

Lately have been using Amazon Prime and Music Unlimited to sample new artists I see here. That way I have an idea of what the tunes sound like. So many that I am glad I didn't buy and quite a few I have purchased as a result.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom