My first McIntosh

Im sure that will be pretty straight forward, completely losing audio on one channel can only mean one thing, intermittent connection. Its not terminal and I'd say not expensive to sort out.
The meter is telling you the amplifier is actually still functioning, which is a good thing...

Also is it normal for my speakers driver to pulsate when powering amp on?? Once in awhile I will hear a small noise but usually driver for lack of a better term is burping.

Definitely not normal function. These amplifiers should make no sound when powering on or off and certainly should not be making noises after powered up. Sounds like a power supply issue possibility. Frankly I wouldn't continue to run the unit if exhibiting these symptoms. Get it checked ASAP is my advice.

Definitely not normal function. These amplifiers should make no sound when powering on or off and certainly should not be making noises after powered up. Sounds like a power supply issue possibility. Frankly I wouldn't continue to run the unit if exhibiting these symptoms. Get it checked ASAP is my advice.
Its not making any noise after powered up just right when I power it on I see the drivers in both speakers pulsate, no noise at all when powering down. Seems that when I first turned it on I heard a small thump in speakers a couple of times, its mainly a pulsating on my speakers drivers. Thanks for the help I am going to post another thread about the 2105 and get some more feedback, the owner of the shop assured me that according to his tech it is not an issue I want to believe him but I just don't know. I still have time to return this for a full refund and I want to make sure I do the right thing.

One of my MC2300s began doing this immediately after I had it serviced at Marvin's in Fort Worth. I took it back and they were unable to offer an explanation, but did assure me that the amp met all published specs. I put it back in service and forgot about it. That was 20 years ago ... No issues whatsoever and that amp has been in daily use since. I have also had an MC2105 do the same thing.

I suggest that you give the dealer the chance to check the amp out. If they give it the green light, it's likely not an issue worth worrying about.

i was told by my tech, that with some of these units, new caps exceed the specs of the older ones, and there can be some settle time when they break in. i know mine had a bit of a break-in period when i had it serviced (an MC 2205) and now seems very solid. for completeness, it made a snapping noise through my speakers once when i turned it off, but has been perfect since.

the channels cutting out, however, i would say is not normal. could be issues with the speaker cables, perhaps a speaker relay - i'm not really an expert, but the sound cutting would seem to be something you'll need to get remedied

Check the speaker switch for your channel cutting out, might be dirty.

Regarding the speaker "pulsation": If you turn your preamp on first, then the amplifier, does it still do this? Same with turning off - if you turn the amp off with the preamp still on any noise / pulsation? If the answer is yes to either of these then I do not feel that it is normal.

For simplicity when turning your system on, I have my amp plugged into a Switched plug on my preamp. When I turn on my preamp, it turns on my amp.

I do not have a choice because there is no on/off switch for my amplifier. It is still a nice way to sequence the powering up of your system as amplifiers prefer to be turned on last and off first.

For simplicity when turning your system on, I have my amp plugged into a Switched plug on my preamp. When I turn on my preamp, it turns on my amp.

I do not have a choice because there is no on/off switch for my amplifier. It is still a nice way to sequence the powering up of your system as amplifiers prefer to be turned on last and off first.

Yes - Panamax 1000 or 1500 power controller does precisely that. Need to find a used one on ebay Audiogon etc.

Started making a buzzing noise to go along with the pulsation it is now unhooked and ready to go back for a refund, getting the refund and calling Audio Classics. Thanks for all the help guys appreciate it.

Yes - Panamax 1000 or 1500 power controller does precisely that. Need to find a used one on ebay Audiogon etc.

While that's a good suggestion, the MAX 1000 and 1500 now have a good bit of age on them. Personally, I'd look at more recent models. I think the APC AV G5 would be a good alternative and can be found online starting around $150.

While that's a good suggestion, the MAX 1000 and 1500 now have a good bit of age on them. Personally, I'd look at more recent models. I think the APC AV G5 would be a good alternative and can be found online starting around $150.

Yes but the Panamax units are triggered by a switched A/C outlet such as on the back panel of a preamplifier as the OP was looking to do; I'm not certain whether the APC device has this facility.

I have a MAX1000 in each of my systems that I purchased used on eBay. They're both working very well. One did need a new capacitor in the PS board.

Started making a buzzing noise to go along with the pulsation it is now unhooked and ready to go back for a refund, getting the refund and calling Audio Classics. Thanks for all the help guys appreciate it.

Sorry to hear that you're returning the 2105. Audio Classics has a good reputation among AKers...might as well check out Terry and Tom's store - mcintoshaudio.com.

As for the pre-amps, the C29 is more difficult to find as they don't come up for sale that often, and the C32 may experience the ribbon cables issues sooner or later. The other suggestions will all work. I think if you're willing to try any of the suggested preamps, the more opportunity you will have, rather than fixating on a single model.

Well after 40 years of being a music fan and having many brands of good sounding mid-fi equipment I purchased my first McIntosh. I just got a completely recapped 2105 and all I can say is Amazing, I cant believe the authority my music has now, everything is crisp and firm and I am really blown away by the sound. The 2105 is in beautiful shape, new glass, the insides look brand new, and the sides and top are in great shape. The chrome on back is just fair and with the new LED lights the face looks great except for the meters and the power light are a bit dim, otherwise the sound is just amazing and I could not be happier. It was rebuilt by an authorized factory tech in Arizona and I am glad I am not going to have to worry about anything. Now I have to save some coin for a really nice pre and I am open to suggestions from you guys. View attachment 997813

What speakers are they? They look like Ascend Acoustics Seirra 1's?

I made a pair of those based on that design, out of Bamboo. Great sounding speaker!

Nice one, classic amp to reproduce some classic music....
I would go for a C29,30,33,34,40.......I have a C33 in my music room system, it was a ebay purchase, got it for $1500US and its in all original condition, and funnily enough, everything works on it. Took a gamble and it paid off.
I am going to do a bit of a resto and freshen it up, but the point is, is a lovely creamy sounding pre-amp, and a lot of pre-amp for what I paid, I love it, just as happy to use and listen to my B system as I am listening to my main system, you have taken your first step into a larger world of audio!!

At least both your meters are working!! UNLIKE my MC452 as of this morning!!

What?! No C32? Those ribbon cables are not the problem folks make them out to be! Sure, if you go into one and pull the ribbon cables out of their sockets, then they may crumble a bit, but they are easily replaced. The preamp has a beautiful sound, and very usable features.

They are Sierra 1's a great speaker

Yes they are. I made a pair of towers based on that design. My friend upgraded his with the new RAAL tweeter, driver and crossover and gave me the left over parts. I made these cabinets out of bamboo flooring that was on sale at Lowes. A lot of glue, bonds and black lacquer and here they are.
Really great sounding speaker for the driver size!

IMG_0769.JPG

Pre paint:

DSC04324.JPG

I made a pair of towers based on that design
Wow very nice, you did a great job!! My Fiance' is still amazed at the sound these put out, if you could have seen her expression on first seeing them "Oh I did not know this is the direction you were going":D:D:D After a few of our favorite lps she was hooked

What?! No C32? Those ribbon cables are not the problem folks make them out to be! Sure, if you go into one and pull the ribbon cables out of their sockets, then they may crumble a bit, but they are easily replaced. The preamp has a beautiful sound, and very usable features.
That is not the reason I didn't list the C32. I owned a C32 for some time, then I went to a C40, which brought me closer to the sound I was after, and then eventually to the C48 which I love.
Later I got myself a C33 to pair with my MC2205 in the second system, it very much reminds me of the C40.
The 29/30 are from the same mold as the others I mentioned. I just didn't care for the 32, it not a bad pre-amp though.

Talked to Tom Manley today real nice guy, wants me to look real hard at the 2205 he is really high on it. That is also looking at my budget which is around 2k, in his opinion I would forget all about the 2105 after hearing the 2205.

Just in the last few days, I've been thinking about Mc, too. I have owned Mc, but only for reselling, and they sold fast. That 2105 looks great in your room, zap. The compact MA-5200 integrated seems to be calling my name of late. I've been saving up, and am very close to affording a new one, but would prefer a lightly used price. Anybody heard one? Or have any opinion about its quality? It would fit into my cabinet, while Mc separates would not. And it would be for the Khorns, so a classic match. I don't intend to hijack zap's thread, but figured I wouldn't get very many replies if I started my own, and with other Mc components already under discussion here figured I wasn't straying too far OT anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom