Of a small wall, guess the winner.

teebee

I am choosing to unload three of these pairs. They all have their strengths along with some undeniable... qualities.

Feel free to match a number with a letter :)

1. One pair has a bit of a zingy treble, but has great mids and nice detail.
2. One pair has slightly more relaxed lower-and-middle mids with a general rising, yet very smooth treble. Great at low volumes.
3. One pair is an airy, warm and forgiving speaker that provides bass flat to 25hz and DOESN'T need a subwoofer at all.
4. One pair has good impact, also a laid back midrange with a bright, lively treble.
5. WINNER One pair has a full midrange with an extended and honest treble and a slightly punchy, tight midbass- the clear winner-- with the gift of balance, clarity, and dispersion.

They are, in no particular order:

A. MLTL Genesis Physics
hodgepodge
B. B&W DM 602 S3
C. ADS L570
D. Sony SS-CS3
E. Dayton III

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know which is number 3 but I'm interested.:D

Airy means it has extended but not elevated treble. I happen to be very sensitive to excessive/enhanced/boosted treble.

Number 3 should be easy... It is a home built Genesis Physics woofer in a 2ft3 MLTL tuned to 23hz with a Dayton silk dome tweeter padded down and crossed over at 1800hz. Amazing bass, okay mids, nice treble is open and airy. keepers, but not my absolute favorite. These WHOOMP with my Kenwood Basic M2 amplifier!

Many people would be surprised at the winner.

I have perfect pitch and I trust my ears.

Last edited:
I don't know which is number 3 but I'm interested.:D

Airy means it has extended but not elevated treble. I happen to be very sensitive to excessive/enhanced/boosted treble.
Totally. I am also very sensitive to treble rise, zing and brightness. My room is fairly live, though.

1.B An easy sell. Great, but just a touch too zingy.
2.C great parts and design. Want to keep these. Slightly bright.
3.A homemade, keepers. Bass!
4.E a very pretty crossover. Kinda bright treble and reticent in the mids.
5.D SOUND GREAT. Keepers until I hear something better, and at better value. Cherished thenafter.

It seems that the only Best Buy in the St. Louis area that sells them is the one in the upper-class area where higher paying customers are more likely to buy a higher-priced speaker. In the city, customers would probably have a hard time justifying the purchase of more expensive speakers when this speaker is also being offered. Sneaky. IMHO, the Sony SS-CS3 is hands down, the most listenable speaker in the house. No, not complacent, not materialistic, no not seduced by the opinions of others. I know they look... Basic. I changed the grille fabric with a hot glue gun and an iron.

Sony SS-CS3:
ALL MDF enclosure.
All film caps.
Great treble dispersion and balance (supertweeter)
They did very good.
I believe the Core Series were designed primarily by sony's Yoshiyuki Kaku.

If you find a pair, especially when they're cheap or used, GET THEM. I have NOT found a better value to this date. Many kit speakers are simply too bright, and do not have the slightly-downward-but-flat room contour that these have. Check the tests and the reviews.

I know they look plain. They do not sound mediocre. They are good.

Been hearing great things about the Sonys. Like that they are front-ported too, some mfgs must think we all have the room sizes to have our speakers pulled out several feet from a wall.

BBuy has I believe a 30-day return policy too, if not satisfied.

Interesting results. The OP's description of the Sony SS-CS3 is nearly identical to my feelings on the Pioneer SP-FS52. They strike me as the most direct competitors in their class -- I wonder how they compare. The 52s aren't the best speakers I have, but they're very competent.

IMG_0005.JPG

The Sonys are less bright and have a bit more top end extension and air. Both are fairly smooth compared to similarly priced towers. I can listen to the Sonys all day and night. They're great with all types of music.

The front port sold me too-- and they lend well to bungs if necessary. The woofer comes are surprisingly light and stiff. Foamed mica, MRC, seems like a great, great cone material!

In a room with lots of hard surfaces, a friend's B&W CM8 S2 seemed bright and edgy at high volumes. These do not.

I am choosing to unload three of these pairs. They all have their strengths along with some undeniable... qualities.

Feel free to match a number with a letter :)

1. One pair has a bit of a zingy treble, but has great mids and nice detail.
2. One pair has slightly more relaxed lower-and-middle mids with a general rising, yet very smooth treble. Great at low volumes.
3. One pair is an airy, warm and forgiving speaker that provides bass flat to 25hz and DOESN'T need a subwoofer at all.
4. One pair has good impact, also a laid back midrange with a bright, lively treble.
5. WINNER One pair has a full midrange with an extended and honest treble and a slightly punchy, tight midbass- the clear winner-- with the gift of balance, clarity, and dispersion.

They are, in no particular order:

A. MLTL Genesis Physics
hodgepodge
B. B&W DM 602 S3
C. ADS L570
D. Sony SS-CS3
E. Dayton III

View attachment 1000466
A little off topic, but what are those white speakers with the mid mounted tweeters on the floor?

Those are the Dayton III kit. Big sound.
How do you like them for music? I was thinking at some point of the "Aviatrix" version they're selling now, but I'm eyeing the "Solstice" kit because it's just a bit more per speaker and is geared more for music...

The Sonys are less bright and have a bit more top end extension and air. Both are fairly smooth compared to similarly priced towers. I can listen to the Sonys all day and night. They're great with all types of music.

Did I see KLH-17s, Dynaco A25s, Genesis 1 in your sig - if so, how do the Sonys compare with these 3?

The III would be great if the tweeter came down about 6-8db. The mids seem a little soft, but they punch above their weight. Just a bit bright.
How do you like them for music? I was thinking at some point of the "Aviatrix" version they're selling now, but I'm eyeing the "Solstice" kit because it's just a bit more per speaker and is geared more for music...

Did I see KLH-17s, Dynaco A25s, Genesis 1 in your sig - if so, how do the Sonys compare with these 3?

The Sonys sound a lot like the 17s, but with better treble off axis. They also have more air up top and are much better off axis than the A25. The tiny (real) supertweeter does the trick very, very well. Similar, though, in that polite, neutral, listenable way. Not quite as handsome in that vintage sense. The Genesis stock have some roughness and brightness in the treble, and when the tweeter is padded to an acceptable level, a fair bit of the air kind of goes away. The Genesis tweeters aren't as airy and natural as the Sony and KLH, which is a close 2nd.
I tore off the generic black grilles and stretched on some burgundy cloth. Now they look cool. I like them a lot. My only complaint is the slight hump around 100hz, but it is not bothersome. I believe it's probably my room or the identical width and depth of the towers. If it comes close to bothering you, you could pull out the spongy open cell foam and put in polyfill, Roxul or fiberglass, but it is not so apparent with better placement. It's subtle. Because of it they're punchy... and still very, very well balanced otherwise. MUST use a subwoofer or two.
Sony SS-CS3... They're my favorites, but the Dynaco, KLH, and Genesis are classics. the Genesis woofer is capable of tremendous bass in a sizable MLTL (2 cubic ft) or transmission line tuned a little less than the Fs. The tuning is low-- around 22hz to regulate excursion of the lowest program material and turntable fumbles. The Genesis woofers with the Dayton Silkie would be perfect with a big amp if not for the slightly recessed midrange, woofer response rise in the lower treble, and slight standing wave ripple that needs a little more damping at maybe the cost of terminus output-- but that's not a big problem. They're amazing and basically full range. I might even try a 3-way design.
The KLH are very similar with a bit of nice softness and bloom. They're not quite as detailed, but have nice body and naturalness like the A25. I might like the 17s just a little more, but I was raised on a KLH console my dad was given in 1985. There's a certain quickness to the treble of the KLH tweeter. Forgiving, still.
I'm spoiled. I really notice the brightness, edginess, yet concurrent smoothness of the DM 602 S3 and they're too easy to sell to keep. Particleboard, eh. I like MDF. It's far more durable and doesn't crumble.
The Sonys are a much better value and are very, very easy to listen to. In this day, I'd have to spend about 3 times as much to get close. They won't need a recap in 25 years.
See for yourselves.
Keepers. I was elated to have found them with original boxes on CL for less than $100!
Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom