Just got a pair of Holosonic 1's ?

jhoofard

I just scored a pair of Holosonic 1's for nothing last night and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? They were bought in 1978 and the girls father i got them from was the original owner. I hooked them up last night and they sound really good. occasionally i am hearing on one speaker some tweeter distortion but I have yet to figure out which one. I have googled the #$@@$ out it and cant find very much at all. They appear to be in pretty good shape.

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 55
Just guessing, the holoconics must be quite rare.
I hardly ever see them for sale, and the lack of info seems to justify that.

You might try putting the "distorted tweeter" into the other cabinet, if it's still distorted then than most likely means there is a problem with the tweeter.
If the holosonic has treble controls (I don't know if they do), you might try cleaning them, especially the one in the distorted cabinet.
Good luck.

It turns out it actually was the woofer that was distorting things and not the tweeter. When i pried the grill off i saw what looks alost like hardened toothpaste around the dustcap of the woofer. Not sure what someone was thinking with that homemade repair. Any one have an idea where i can either get a rebuild kit or another woofer for it? The speaker sounds really nice and the cabinets are in fairly good shape. Any help is appreciated!

For replacement---You could set up an alert on ebay for Infinity Holosonic1 woofer. Or just Infinity woofer but you'd have to see all of them listed.
Might see one tomorrow, might see one next year, who knows.
If you subscribe to AK ($25) you could put a want to by ad in BarterTown. Same as ebay, maybe a little better odds of seeing one here. Who knows as they are rare.
Not sure if other models used the same woofer, can you post a picture of it here? Pics of front and back of woofer may help. It's possible the woofer was used in other models which might make finding a replacement somewhat easier.

For repair---MillerSound could probably fix it, Watkins maybe as well.

For replacement---You could set up an alert on ebay for Infinity Holosonic1 woofer. Or just Infinity woofer but you'd have to see all of them listed.
Might see one tomorrow, might see one next year, who knows.
If you subscribe to AK ($25) you could put a want to by ad in BarterTown. Same as ebay, maybe a little better odds of seeing one here. Who knows as they are rare.
Not sure if other models used the same woofer, can you post a picture of it here? Pics of front and back of woofer may help. It's possible the woofer was used in other models which might make finding a replacement somewhat easier.

For repair---MillerSound could probably fix it, Watkins maybe as well.

It ended up being that once i pried to the grill off hat looked like a ring of putty or chewing gum haphazardly placed around the dustcap had come off. it ended up being a factory installed weight (it looked bush league to me). A lot of glue and it was put back on. It sounds great now. My shop just charged me 5 bucks to do it so i got some great sounding speakers (especially the highs! ) for 5 bucks total! Score!

Rightous! Arnie is infamous for adding additional doping to the woofers, it's why there are so many amp-killing infinity speaks. Somewhere here is the post from Watkins himself explaining this fact on an audio group. The additional doping changed the resistence of the speaker, and arnie didn't change the second voice coil windings to compensate and even out the ohms, which apparently was simple to do.

Love to her your impressions of that walsh tweeter after a while.

Back
Top Bottom