Favorite Five Albums When I Was A Teenager

Until I went to college, I didn't have many record albums. Partially due to economics; and part due to media choices (had a bunch of 8-tracks, believe it or not).

So instead I offer my first 4 45s. Good luck profiling me based on these tunes. I'd add a 5th based on the thread topic but to honest, I can't recall what it would be :0

Doors, Light My Fire
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sweet Home Alabama
Bachman Turner Overdrive, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody

This was like 1975-1977

The red and blue Beatles best of
Queen--all of them up to News of the World
Alice Cooper--Welcome to my Nightmare
Bowie--Hunky Dory
Doors--first record

el_riesgo_de_editar_la_secuela_de_un_album_vol_1_9911.jpg

JIMIHENDRIX-5073462504_9a5c6fe308_b.jpg

Here's my list

Guns n' roses - use your illusion I - II
Nirvana - Nervermind/Unplugged in new york
Slayer - Live undead
Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
Cradle of filth - Dusk and her Embrace

I'm no longer in trash and black metal (or heavy métal at all). Sometime I feel "nostalgic" and play an album. Nirvana unplugged is playing more often. Since GnR is touring I played them recently.

Last edited:
These are some of those that I looked forward to running home from high school (late 70s) to listen to at home:
Jethro Tull Minstrel in the Gallery
Zep Physical Graffiti
Stones Some Girls
Rod Stewart Blondes Have More Fun (ha, still a guilty pleasure!)
Rory Gallagher Tatoo (and to cheat and sneak in a 6th one, Stones Tatoo You!)

These are some I remember off hand. Yes and Tull I still occasionally listen to, the rest rarely if at all.

Jethro Tull Aqualung
Led Zeppelin IV
Nazareth Hair of the Dog
Yes Fragile
Weather Report Heavy Weather

These are some I remember off hand. Yes and Tull I still occasionally listen to, the rest rarely if at all.

Jethro Tull Aqualung
Led Zeppelin IV
Nazareth Hair of the Dog
Yes Fragile
Weather Report Heavy Weather

All those were among my favorites, too. Like you, I still listen to Tull at times, but where Aqualung was my favorite then, now it's more likely to be Benefit, Stand Up, Minstrel or Songs from the Wood. Never Aqualung, though.

All those were among my favorites, too. Like you, I still listen to Tull at times, but where Aqualung was my favorite then, now it's more likely to be Benefit, Stand Up, Minstrel or Songs from the Wood. Never Aqualung, though.
These days, to the extent that I still listen to Tull -- which isn't much -- I'm much more likely to be found listening to Benefit, Stand Up, Minstrel, or Songs from the Wood than Aqualung. I sometimes listen to Thick as a Brick, too. I kept my vinyl record of it -- for that amazing cover, and for sentimental reasons -- though I no longer have a means to play vinyl.

I went through a pretty big evolution over my teen years from metal to prog to reggae to Dead. I still like it all. Here are some highlights:

Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Kiss - Alive II
Pink Floyd -The Wall
Bob Marley - Uprising
Grateful Dead - Dead Set (and hundreds of bootlegs)

These days, to the extent that I still listen to Tull -- which isn't much -- I'm much more likely to be found listening to Benefit, Stand Up, Minstrel, or Songs from the Wood than Aqualung. I sometimes listen to Thick as a Brick, too. I kept my vinyl record of it -- for that amazing cover, and for sentimental reasons -- though I no longer have a means to play vinyl.

What? No love for Heavy Horses!
...and the Mouse Police Never Sleeps

What? No love for Heavy Horses!
...and the Mouse Police Never Sleeps
You'd think And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps would be a favourite, what with my cat avatar and being a big fan of all things cat, but it and the rest of Heavy Horses never quite gelled with me. Maybe I need to give it another go, having last listened to it in the 1980s.

The Doors, self-titled
The Stones, "Let It Bleed"
The Who, "Who's Next"
Humble Pie, "Rock On"
John Lennon, "Imagine"

If I can cheat and add a sixth, Fleetwood Mac, "Kiln House"

Last edited:
The list of favorites changed drastically from age 15 when I got my first record player (1966) and 18 when I graduated from HS (1969). From the beginning I was most attracted to the unusual and exotic in sounds and styles which helps explain why the first term paper I ever wrote was about electronic music. Going into the start of my senior year the most listened to albums were probably:

The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday
Jefferson Airplane - Crown Of Creation
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request

Nearly fifty years later, this list is probably a haphazard guess based on increasingly murky memories. The first five Jefferson Airplane albums could have been the entirety of the list since I was a huge fanboy of theirs at the time. It certainly would have been different by the time I graduated the following spring.

I still have all of these originals and I can't figure out they're in such good condition. I bought a Neumann DST62 in the late 60s. I kept it immaculately clean and never tracked it at anything different than the recommended 6.5 grams. It sat unused for 20 years until I sold it in 2004 to a fellow in Japan.
In no particular order:
Guess Who American Woman (you really need to hear "No Time" in my Tahoe)
Chicago Transit Authority (I'm a Man) still makes my JBLs rattle and crash, although at the time my speakers were either KLH 5s or Altec 604s.
Mamas and Papas If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears (bad stereo but sweet harmonies)
The Outsiders Happening Live (boy was I disappointed to find out the "live crowd" was add an add-on.)
Bob Zimmerman The Times They Are A Changing is still my number one.

Favourite albums when I was a teenager................Jeez, I was a teenager during a great time for rock/hair/thrash metal (83 to 89)..........and choosing just 5? OK, the 5, in no order, that I can remember listening to the most are...

Operation: Mindcrime - Queensryche

Holy Diver - Dio

Wired Up - Jeff Paris

Assault Attack - MSG

Down to Earth - Rainbow

I own all of Mister Pig's choices, and if I could choose more than 5, then 4 of his would be in my selection too, especially Heaven & Hell and Allied Forces.

Lots of similarities with Mr. Pig and many others here. I am always cautious with my musical preferences, as I often go back to my high school days for a quick charge up.

1. AC/DC - Highway to Hell
2. Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent
3. Rush - Moving Pictures
4. Judas Priest - Killing Machine
5. Bob Seger - Night Moves

I remember wearing out the Kinks - Low Budget, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Pink Floyd - The Wall. Pretty much everything from that era : Van Halen, Def Leppard, Metalica, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Zep, Deep Purple, Petty ,,, the list goes on and on. Then the 80's showed up.

I remember the Cars were often played - remember the topless Phobe Cates scene from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" ? Moving in Stereo got a lot of play on my turntable shortly there after.

upload_2017-9-16_7-37-47.png

I was a product of the 90's, so my favorites then(and still now) reflect that.
Alice In Chains-Dirt
Stone Temple Pilots-Core
Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream
Soundgarden-Superunknown
Candlebox- Candlebox
There were plenty more, but these were in heaviest rotation.

Back
Top Bottom