Sony VFET amps: is there a good technician in the UK?

MP984

Hello. I'm fairly new to AK, but a while ago I bought a Sony TA-F7 VFET amplifier, which was restored by the previous owner (including a recap).

I'm not a technical expert, but I gather that replacement VFETs are very difficult to find, so if one blows then it's probably curtains for the amp. From my reading on AK, this is less likely to happen if the other components in the amp are kept in good condition.

At the moment the amp sounds great. However, for future reference does anyone know an expert technician in the UK who would be able to work on this amp? I would like to keep it serviced periodically.

If the technician is based in the South East (I'm in Colchester) that would be even better, as it would avoid having to mail the amp.

Do you know someone elsewhere in the UK then? I can post the amp, I'll just have to be careful when packing it.

There are some components in these amps which need to be replaced (the "death diodes") if you do some research on what and where these parts are, you could probably do a visual check inside to see if these have been replaced.

If you also keep checking the bias periodically yourself (If you are up to it, say annually or so) then it may not be necessary to keep periodically having the amp checked. A lot of these amps have been running for 20+ years without intervention and been doing OK.

I believe the 'suicide' diodes have been replaced. Unfortunately I have no idea how to check the bias.

I take your point about not needing to have it looked at regularly. It would be good, though, to know of a good UK technician who is familiar with these amps, just in case anything goes wrong in the future.

Don't let your amplifier control your life. If it gives you stress, chuck it. It's not that special, anyway. Ignore the online hype.

Greetings;
This amp is not a car. No fluid checks etc. tire balancing would probably better investment :D

Only thing I'd be concerned with fet's is power outs and surges when it comes back on ground crap spikes.. so I'd get a good power strip and do proper shut downs and disconnect from wall if away? or expecting a big storm! Most pro's do that for computers to any power audio equipment or printers etc.

Hello. I'm fairly new to AK, but a while ago I bought a Sony TA-F7 VFET amplifier, which was restored by the previous owner (including a recap).

I'm not a technical expert, but I gather that replacement VFETs are very difficult to find, so if one blows then it's probably curtains for the amp. From my reading on AK, this is less likely to happen if the other components in the amp are kept in good condition.

At the moment the amp sounds great. However, for future reference does anyone know an expert technician in the UK who would be able to work on this amp? I would like to keep it serviced periodically.

If the technician is based in the South East (I'm in Colchester) that would be even better, as it would avoid having to mail the amp.

This is a (quite valuable) second-generation VFET amp, and not prone to outright spontaneous failure like the 1st gen amps.

Since it's had a recent restoration, there is little else you can do for it except enjoy it.

I could help you out in future, no problem, if shipping to The Netherlands or France is not an issue (I live in both).
Indeed the F7's are large animals to ship, but not impossible.
VFET amps like that have been my passion for many years, done many for other AKers.
Though 2017 and most of 2018 already been booked for various VFET amps piled up...

Back
Top Bottom